Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Anyone else miss old Starfarer?  (Read 15662 times)

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else miss old Starfarer?
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2016, 12:12:58 PM »

Also the idea that modding is somehow moderated... No. What happened was that all the easy bad ideas have been tried, and shown to be bad, or at least, to lack longevity and interest. What that leaves you with is a smaller but still pretty broad zone of good ideas that work, and ideas that might or might not work but take a lot of effort just to try out.

As someone with a mod in progress who has received almost nothing but encouragement and offers of resources and generally good advice; not only are you consummately full of it, you're insulting the people producing, and helping to produce, exactly the thing you say you want: good and interesting mods. if the end product doesn't meet your standards, feel free to put your junk on the chopping block with the rest of us.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 12:27:07 PM by Soren »

Spoorthuzad

• Captain
  • Looking right into your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2016, 12:18:20 PM »

(Guys can we keep it civil here? Or else a moderator is gonna close this thread. Just saying.)

Now I don't really agree with OP here because I really like most changes the game has gone through. Also, mods have never really declined in quality and variety in my opinion.
Mods come and go when the game updates and that's because modding although fun doesn't pay really well and therefore not everyone can keep updating their mods.
Mods (especially total conversion ones) tend to break with each update and require alot of time to update (again especially total conversion mods)

But that's just an opinion.... My opinion... Thanks for reading! :P

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2016, 12:45:43 PM »

(Guys can we keep it civil here? Or else a moderator is gonna close this thread. Just saying.)

Civility was tried, and met with increasingly uncivil responses. At this point, closing the thread is the best possible end for it.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2016, 01:36:40 PM »

Mods come and go when the game updates and that's because modding although fun doesn't pay really well and therefore not everyone can keep updating their mods.
Mods (especially total conversion ones) tend to break with each update and require alot of time to update (again especially total conversion mods)
This is one reason why I have not started building a mod for Starsector.  I already spend enough time maintaining mods for another game, and I like to make my own game someday.  I have no idea if I will find the time to make a Starsector mod (and I do not want my mod to be yet another kitbash of ships).

TheDTYP

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2016, 03:25:42 PM »

You know you can just dig into the Blog and download the old versions, right?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2016, 03:56:36 PM »

Does not work for versions before 0.53, which are those before the August 2012 blog.  (I considered downloading the oldest versions to try the original tachyon lance, but that does not seem possible.)

Serafin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2016, 04:15:13 PM »

Does not work for versions before 0.53, which are those before the August 2012 blog.  (I considered downloading the oldest versions to try the original tachyon lance, but that does not seem possible.)

Yes... Too bad most interesting of old mods expired (dead link, removed thread, or removed dowlonad button) :(

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2016, 04:49:14 PM »

I'll lock the thread, don't see anything productive coming out of this.

@ Serafin: You've got a PM.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 04:53:28 PM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

ahrenjb

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2016, 07:23:23 PM »

If you guys really want to play a game with no progression, and just want to get in spaceship fights, there's something called the console commands mod. It will eliminate all of those pesky things like "having to try" and "growing your resources" if you choose to use it that way.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2016, 07:27:38 PM »

Looks like this didn't get locked, locking it now.
Pages: 1 2 [3]