Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hello! Newbie coming by to ask for help.  (Read 2543 times)

Huginn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Hello! Newbie coming by to ask for help.
« on: April 01, 2016, 03:35:53 PM »

Hello everyone!

First of all, Starsector is awesome. I played it for 11 hours straight after i bought it because it was that fun and interesting! And now i come here to seek advice on a few things ive noticed that seems to be problematic or cumbersome.

1. After my first game ending today after probably 20 hours put into it i was sitting with 2 eagle cruisers and a full support fleet. I had issues coming anywhere after getting that far and i couldnt really figure out how to progress. Any ideas? I saw alot of capital ships around at the strongest bounties but i couldnt find any unique weapons or ships most of the time.

2. Content. It was very repetitive after 20 hours seeing the same ships over and over again, until the capital ships came by ofcourse and smoked me. Any thoughts on this?

3. Are there any ways to boost engine speed without extreme disability effects? Eagle class itself was quite slow but i didnt want to have the extreme side effects that appeared with the modules.

4. Do you have any tips you can give me? I mostly did bounty hunting at my first game because that seemed easiest. And i do love combat so hey, had to be done.

Any more tips and suggestions on things i could explore would be very well appreciated!  ;D

Super Bonus Question: What mods should i get?  ;D ;D ;D

billi999

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Hello! Newbie coming by to ask for help.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 03:52:14 PM »

1. I'm not sure what you mean by progressing after that point, at the moment you can't capture systems/stations/planets or whatever (although mods might allow you to do such things). Once you get to a late game or endgame point in terms of your fleet size, I find the fun is in trying out different fleet compositions. What I mean by that is experimenting with fleets that are say, all high tech or low tech, or mixing whichever of those you like the most, finding out which ships are best handled by the AI and exploiting that. As far as getting new ships and weapons goes, the quality of stuff you can get from markets is sorta like this: Open markets < Black market < Military market. To get nearly anything above frigate or fighter sized on the military market you need sufficient reputation AND a commission for that faction (which makes other factions that are not allied really dislike you).

2. Mods will mostly solve this problem, and maybe you are missing a lot of content that you don't see in the military markets? If you are indeed just bounty hunting, look out for the bounties that say "convicted of desertion" instead of "a notorious pirate", because they are fleets from factions other than pirates and will have a different variety of ships based on that, at least in my experience. Outside of military and black markets, these are the only way I can think of of getting ships that you might not otherwise be able to find, since you do sometimes have the opportunity to capture disabled enemy ships after combat.

3. One of the technology skills will give you access to an alternative speed boosting hull mod called Augmented Engines. I believe this gives you the same speed boost as Unstable Injector without making your engines take 4x as much damage. It also increases the travel speed of the ship it was added to by 1. The drawback is that it increases your fleets' sensor profile, but personally this never bothered me.

In response to the bonus question tips: Be wary of refitting your ships in open space, certain changes can tank the Combat Readiness of any ships you refitted, so best to refit only when interaction dialogs give you the option.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 04:55:11 PM by billi999 »

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 03:53:45 PM »

1) and 2) - the game just isn't done yet. Playing the same character for 10+ hours is going to result in you reaching a power level sufficient to pretty much trounce anything the game can throw at you. Look into the Starsector+ and Nexerelin mods for a lot of new (but obviously unofficial) content.

3) Augmented Engines and Unstable Injector do have downsides but are generally considered to be quite worth it. Insulated Engine Assembly hullmod helps to lessen the downsides of both of the aforementioned hullmods.

Huginn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 04:45:44 PM »

I shouldve been abit clearer on the bonus question, but i asked what kind of mods you guys would suggest for me to download for the game.

I also wanted to ask why the map is so little in the game, kinda hoped the sector would be larger.

So far, thanks to tips!

billi999

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 04:55:50 PM »

My bad. I meant to say that was in response to you asking about any additional tips.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 04:58:01 PM »

I shouldve been abit clearer on the bonus question, but i asked what kind of mods you guys would suggest for me to download for the game.

I also wanted to ask why the map is so little in the game, kinda hoped the sector would be larger.

So far, thanks to tips!
Depending on your system, I would suggest SS+ and Nexerelin for starters, then Blackrock, Shawdowyards, SCY, Diablo for factions, Knight Templars for an end game level enemy, Common Radar, Combat Chatter, Console Commands, Save Transfer. Also be sure to get LazyLib, ShaderLib as they are required. Also if you get SCY, make sure to get TwigLib as well
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Huginn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 02:17:47 AM »

So far, thanks to tips!
Depending on your system, I would suggest SS+ and Nexerelin for starters, then Blackrock, Shawdowyards, SCY, Diablo for factions, Knight Templars for an end game level enemy, Common Radar, Combat Chatter, Console Commands, Save Transfer. Also be sure to get LazyLib, ShaderLib as they are required. Also if you get SCY, make sure to get TwigLib as well

is Nexerelin and SS+ compatible?

edit:

nvm it is. I should read abit more closely next time  :P
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 02:39:21 AM by Huginn »