Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AI with 360 degrees of shield  (Read 3827 times)

Dudley Dickerson

• Ensign
    • View Profile
AI with 360 degrees of shield
« on: March 21, 2016, 02:29:10 PM »

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the bug report section, but the AI does not seem to understand it has 360 degrees of shield. Salamanders are a good way to show this, as they automatically track the rear of the ship.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: AI with 360 degrees of shield
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 02:57:26 PM »

I'm sorry, I don't understand what the issue is - could you clarify?

Dudley Dickerson

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 03:22:21 PM »

When the AI is targeted by a Salamander, they will try to face their shield toward it so it doesn't hit them in the rear. Obviously with 360 degrees of shield coverage, this is redundant, but I noticed the AI still does it.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 03:25:36 PM »

So something like an Aurora (360 shield), will try to face the missile so it hits the front of the ship rather than the engines? (even though the entire ship is enveloped by the ship's shield)

Dudley Dickerson

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 03:27:29 PM »

So something like an Aurora (360 shield), will try to face the missile so it hits the front of the ship rather than the engines? (even though the entire ship is enveloped by the ship's shield)

Yes.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 03:32:08 PM »

Ok for the missile, but wouldn't you try to keep your enemy that shoots you to your front, since the shield will at a point drop and you will take some hits? It feels logical to try to keep the enemy at all times in any side but the back, 360 degrees shield or not.
Ignorance is bliss..

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 03:37:08 PM »

It's accounting for possibly needing to turn the shields off due to something unexpected, or just wanting to conserve flux etc It also does consider other enemies nearby, so it shouldn't, say, prioritize turning to a Salamander over an enemy battleship (though it might try to do both, if that's possible; I don't remember exactly).

Dudley Dickerson

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 03:45:24 PM »

It's accounting for possibly needing to turn the shields off due to something unexpected, or just wanting to conserve flux etc It also does consider other enemies nearby, so it shouldn't, say, prioritize turning to a Salamander over an enemy battleship (though it might try to do both, if that's possible; I don't remember exactly).

I think the AI will disengage and face the Salamander, even with full shield coverage.

lemski07

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 06:06:09 PM »

its still good since sometimes when their ship overloads at least they are facing the salamander hits but this happens occasionally.