Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: UI causing major slowdowns  (Read 5374 times)

Dudley Dickerson

• Ensign
    • View Profile
UI causing major slowdowns
« on: March 18, 2016, 01:38:13 AM »

I've always had major slowdowns in medium to large battles and up until now I haven't been able to figure out why. Now I know, it's the UI. By turning it off during a battle, my framerate goes up by as much as 30.
Is this a known issue and is there any way around it apart from turning off the UI?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 01:44:33 AM by Dudley Dickerson »

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: UI causing major slowdowns
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 01:47:29 AM »

Out of curiocity. Do you play vanilla game or it is modded with mods that add extra stuff to the UI, like the chatter or the radar mods?
Ignorance is bliss..

Dudley Dickerson

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 02:15:54 AM »

Out of curiocity. Do you play vanilla game or it is modded with mods that add extra stuff to the UI, like the chatter or the radar mods?

I have chatter, no radar mod. But these slowdowns occur in vanilla just as much.
For reference, in vanilla, the Last Hurrah can drop below 40 at worst, with UI turned off it stays above 55 at all times.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 09:26:06 AM »

Hmm. What graphics card do you have, for reference?

I don't *think* this is specifically a UI rendering issue; it seems more likely that it's more of a "turning off anything will help some" kind of situation, and the UI just happens to be a thing you can turn off. If you're getting 30 fps with vsync on, sometimes even a 10% performance boost can get you back to 60.

That's a bit counterintuitive, so to expand on that: to get 60 fps, the game has to do its calculations and render in 1/60th of a second, which translates roughly to 16 milliseconds per frame. If it takes even 17 milliseconds, and vsync is on - it's gone over-budget for the frame, and it has to wait the whole rest of the second frame before updating the screen. If this happens consistently, it drops the framerate by 30.

If you were to turn vsync off, however, then the framerate would be closer to the actual time taken per frame, but you'd get tearing. And a potentially inconsistent framerate, which, depending on personal preference, may feel worse than a consistent lower framerate. (The game would still try to cap it to 60 fps at most, but that can be turned off in settings.json.)

Dudley Dickerson

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 10:00:58 AM »

I see how my original post made it sound like an issue caused by double buffering but I doubt that's the case since my frame rate never stops at 30. I've had that happen in some games and it's very distinct. Tried Last Hurrah on vanilla without vsync and the results are still the same, lowest frame rate achieved was 44 and turning off the UI brought it back up to 62 and stayed there.

I have a 2500k (4.5), a 7970 GHz and 8GB of RAM (with 64bit Java).
I've read that AMDs OpenGL drivers aren't that great but I'm not smart enough to know about that.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 10:19:15 AM »

From talks I had with people on here and from talks in Minecraft forums, ATI can go down to half the speed of NVidia, since it's OpenGL drivers are crappy. It was weird when I could play high end games normally and Miencraft with OpenGL activated would actually have MUCH worse result, than without it.Even with a mod hat would give the option for a light version of OpenGL, it would still perform much much worse.
Ignorance is bliss..

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 04:18:13 PM »

Are you sure that SS is using your good card and not the bad one? I use to get these kinds of slowdowns myself when I was on my old craptop that had a GFX card that was 3X worse than a HD3000
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 11:30:06 PM »

oh no its the same issue with me..it might be the UI or something because in the medium to big fights if I let the computer fight and leave my flagship put of it the performance is spot on but THE MOMENT I GO INTO THE BATTLE MYSELF....even in one of the ai ships it slows to 30 FPS....its even the same issue when I tried it on my brothers computer and he upgrades his like a ***...its so good its even water cooled and still it slows down just as much as mine so something is leaking memory or demanding too much speed to run it so its not mine or maybe not even his....hell I can Play Eve Online and get into a big fight on top graphics and still be good. I can run most modern games with no problems but this one seems to have something wrong with the player interface or something

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 06:52:43 AM »

Looks like v-sync forces 30 fps once game cant sustain 60. Check video driver settings for adaptive v-sync option.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 06:55:01 AM by Vind »

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 01:59:34 PM »

Thats the issue is my computer can easily do 60 FPS...so I dont know if it is that