Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Author Topic: About ShaderLib Mod.  (Read 2087 times)

Orikson

• Captain
  • Always Seen on Discord
    • View Profile
About ShaderLib Mod.
« on: March 16, 2016, 01:17:27 AM »

Hello again. Today I like to ask about just ShaderLib in particular.

So far, the systems I have are unable to handle the mod, even after shutting it down via shadersettings.json file but keeping the mod on.

The mod does enable other mods that require it when enabled, so far from what I could test out. But in the case it is active, the mod causes the start screen (after loading) to glitch (turns the screen white as the scanner bar goes across it, and creates after image of opened menus ) and also glitches the battle portion of the game (all that happened was all the light indicators all phased around and the screen began to turn white).

In the case I've disabled the mod via the settings, it just crashes if I have any other mod that needs it to run. It also creates the stated glitches when it is inactive without any mods that require it.

Now, before that, I will give the computer system specs that I have available to me. Are they suitable?

Surface tablet computer.

Windows 10 Home

Processor: Intel (R) Atom (TM) x7-Z8700 CPU @ 1.60GHz, 1.60GHz

Installed RAM: 4 GB

System type: 64-bit operating system,x64-based processor

Alternatively, I did check another possible option (a computer that a friend is selling):

Windows 10 Home

Processor: Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50 GHz, 2.60 GHz

Installed RAM: 8.00 GB

System type: 64-bit operating system. x64-based processor

I do not have any graphic cards that are external.

Back to the main topic. How do I make ShaderLib compatible with the system?

Is there any mods that may had interfere with the ShaderLib system?

Can allocating more processing power work the system better? I've tried and it didn't work.

Do mods that require ShaderLib have an alternative version that does not need it?

Thanks for taking your time to read this! I hope you all can help!
"A story teller and a trader. Tell me your tales and I'll tell you no lies."

Come join the Starsector Fan Chat! It's decently active.

Link: https://discord.gg/eb5UC

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: About ShaderLib Mod.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 01:48:49 AM »

Turning off shaderlib from the settings should turn off anything it offers, afar from telling the mods that it is installed, so they will not complain. Normally it should not give scuh problems, since your uhmmm computer thingie, has probably an Intel HD 4200+

Still if you turn it off, it should not be at fault. Have you tried to disable it on the shaderSettingsCompatibility.json too, just to test it? It is usually suggested to try and play the game in windowed mode and without sound, always for testing of course.

A tablet can probably play java games, but modded sounds a bit too much. How much ram is used by the system and how much is free? As I know, usually Intel HD chipsets take ram from the system when they need more or have a chunk taken from boot.

I am using an old C2Quad @3.2GHz with 8GB ram. My GPU is an ATI R9 280x with 3GB Vram. In general the game plays really fast, except when in Nexerelin I create a really large universe. With the current Nex options at full and all the faction I could find on 0.7.1a, the game actually is playable @ 30FPS with on slowing down when there is a chaos in battles with many ships or when on the map there are many fleets around. What you should care for is how many GHz the CPU is. The more, the better.

NVidia fares better with Java games through as it seems or more like games that use OpenGL. So my graphics card is partially to blame.

Shaderlib is a base mods and nothing interferes with it, except if there is actually a bug. But after you disabled it through settings, it just does not do anything. It is really just a flag telling to mods to not worry about it and just work. This is why mods do not have an alternative version.

I am sure sooner or later someone more knowledgeable than me will answer too.

PS: When it comes to OpenGL and graphic card drivers, it seems it goes Nvidia > ATI > Intel HD.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 02:02:20 AM by Weltall »
Ignorance is bliss..

Orikson

• Captain
  • Always Seen on Discord
    • View Profile
Re: About ShaderLib Mod.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 05:11:19 AM »

Turning off shaderlib from the settings should turn off anything it offers, afar from telling the mods that it is installed, so they will not complain. Normally it should not give scuh problems, since your uhmmm computer thingie, has probably an Intel HD 4200+

Still if you turn it off, it should not be at fault. Have you tried to disable it on the shaderSettingsCompatibility.json too, just to test it? It is usually suggested to try and play the game in windowed mode and without sound, always for testing of course.

A tablet can probably play java games, but modded sounds a bit too much. How much ram is used by the system and how much is free? As I know, usually Intel HD chipsets take ram from the system when they need more or have a chunk taken from boot.

I am using an old C2Quad @3.2GHz with 8GB ram. My GPU is an ATI R9 280x with 3GB Vram. In general the game plays really fast, except when in Nexerelin I create a really large universe. With the current Nex options at full and all the faction I could find on 0.7.1a, the game actually is playable @ 30FPS with on slowing down when there is a chaos in battles with many ships or when on the map there are many fleets around. What you should care for is how many GHz the CPU is. The more, the better.

NVidia fares better with Java games through as it seems or more like games that use OpenGL. So my graphics card is partially to blame.

Shaderlib is a base mods and nothing interferes with it, except if there is actually a bug. But after you disabled it through settings, it just does not do anything. It is really just a flag telling to mods to not worry about it and just work. This is why mods do not have an alternative version.

I am sure sooner or later someone more knowledgeable than me will answer too.

PS: When it comes to OpenGL and graphic card drivers, it seems it goes Nvidia > ATI > Intel HD.

Thanks! I went back and tried, it worked finally! The error was in the program I used to open the file though, so I changed the displayed default settings instead of the true setting. Changed programs and the proper sections appeared. So far so good. All mods running ok.
"A story teller and a trader. Tell me your tales and I'll tell you no lies."

Come join the Starsector Fan Chat! It's decently active.

Link: https://discord.gg/eb5UC