Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: what a great game, also a few questions  (Read 4211 times)

vsln

• Ensign
    • View Profile
what a great game, also a few questions
« on: February 24, 2012, 04:28:35 AM »

Hi. First off, thank you for developing such an awesome game.

I love SPAZ, wich brought me back to space games in general but it allways felt a little bit too gimmicky. Starfarer just has a very solid dark feel, very industrial, kind of like eve. It's also a lot more complex and more rewarding imho. (not to bash SPAZ, they are pretty much different games entirely)

Soo, I just recently started to play the campaign mode and found a lot of information on this board allready. (I googled for half an hours before I found the info on how to buy certain amounts of cargo... hrnk) I just wanted to address a couple of problems I'm currently having:

I'm not able to really set up a nice fleet. I died nearly instantly after beginning a new game (that was me getting used to the gameplay). Now I have a frigate as well as 2 bomber squads and about 20k in credits. I usually stock up on personell and have an eye on veterans and elites.

The problem is, I can't really add ships to my fleet. I had one opportunity to baord a ship, tried that and lost all of my marines (I think I had 11 at that time). Very unfortunate.
Do you just hunt down the smaller pirates hours on end to farm equipment (to sell) and hope for a couple of additional fighter or the odd Frigate? Do you mostly buy new ships?

In short: How do you start out? Any tips?

Also: When I engage an enemy fleet I never have to deploy ships, it jumps right into the fight. Also there are never any points to capture. Does this come with larger fleets? Is this functionality even in the campaign mode?

And: do certain modules have size restrictions? My guess is you can't fit certain siege weapons on frigates? I couldn't really figure that out. I mostly just keep the ships as they are. (that may be one of the reasons why I currently struggle with larger fleets) but until now I haven had any spectacular drops. Mostly point defense stuff or some missile racks. Pirates probaly aren't that well equiped I guess.

Thanks in advance

cheers. v

hunterkiller725

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: what a great game, also a few questions
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 04:40:50 AM »

basicly farm ships get better at combat and find a ship you like to fly and get better wih it thats what i did and yes you need more ships to have the battles with deployment and nave points

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 04:49:45 AM »

I'm not able to really set up a nice fleet. I died nearly instantly after beginning a new game (that was me getting used to the gameplay). Now I have a frigate as well as 2 bomber squads and about 20k in credits. I usually stock up on personell and have an eye on veterans and elites.

The problem is, I can't really add ships to my fleet. I had one opportunity to baord a ship, tried that and lost all of my marines (I think I had 11 at that time). Very unfortunate.
Do you just hunt down the smaller pirates hours on end to farm equipment (to sell) and hope for a couple of additional fighter or the odd Frigate? Do you mostly buy new ships?

Yes, I mostly just take on the small pirate groups (one destroyer and maybe a few fighter wings, at maximum two ships) until I can get a bigger fleet going, then gradually expand my ambitions with my fleet. The two ways of getting new ships in the current version are capturing enemies (very low chance) and buying them at the Hegemony station.

And: do certain modules have size restrictions? My guess is you can't fit certain siege weapons on frigates? I couldn't really figure that out. I mostly just keep the ships as they are. (that may be one of the reasons why I currently struggle with larger fleets) but until now I haven had any spectacular drops. Mostly point defense stuff or some missile racks. Pirates probaly aren't that well equiped I guess.

Yeah. Weapons are divided into type (ballistic, missile, energy) and size (small, medium, large). Weapon slots on ships are divided by type (ballistic, missile, energy, universal) and size (small, medium, large). I think you can figure out where this is going.

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 05:36:14 AM »

the way i usually start a new game is to buy one or two interceptors and stay near either the pirate planet or the station ( the station is great if your timid because there is always a great stonking hegemony fleet nearby or at least early on there is) i stay all the way zoomed out so i can see where an enemy fleet is far before they can see me then intercept them if i can take them. From there i usually end up buying my new ships.

i recently showed the game to one of my friends and he had an interesting strategy, he first spent almost all his money on marines. then got extremely lucky and capped a few pirate ships kept them around for about 10 minutes while getting more and then when he had a few bombers, fighters and i think a lasher he sold EVERYTHING he had and got a destroyer, then did the same thing again and got a cruiser.
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Totamto

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 02:39:54 PM »

I restarted my campaign until I got a wolf class frigate.

From there I destroyed any weaker pirates and once I got enough money I bought a medusa.

From there I destroyed some tri-tachyon small fleets and was lucky to capture another medusa.

Then I sold both my medusas and got an apogee class cruiser

Then I went on a rampage after capping an aurora class cruiser and buying an outdated class cruiser while listening to "castle pandemonium" from final fantasy 2
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:44:46 PM by Totamto »

blackfang

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 02:50:17 PM »

Wolf class, capping, selling and eventually buying new ships. The poor pirate ships are of no use in fleets but they are decent when you fly them yourself. Tempest and wolf class frigates, all the round ships in destroyers and cruisers, carriers and hammerhead, then any sub cap with decent firepower and good shields are fleet material also for caps you can bring whatever you wish, they all rock in their own way. Along with if you got the carrier you should pick some broadswords early on for real power. The broadswords die fast later on in larger engagements. Thats why you will have to gradually switch over to shielded fighters and bombers. Also, there is this epic little bomber that i can't remember the name of, if you got a carrier out and those you will pretty much be set for capital ship killing and any large and slow ships will face their doom as well as any other ships unfortunate to get in their way. They are cheap so expect them to get ripped apart from point defense.

Kahabut

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 03:04:06 PM »

@ VSLN

1) I love SPAZ too, I found this game on a blog talking about SPAZ.  Lucky.  

2) Starting out in the campaign can be hard, or kinda easy, and it's mostly luck that decides that.  What I do is start a new game until I get the starting ship I want (wolf class or lasher).  Then I hunt small pirate fleets, either single ship or 2-4 ships/fighters.  Take the enemies one at a time and try to minimize damage even if you have to pull back.  Damage is a killer in the long run.  So I do that for 10+ fights and by now you should have captured a fighter/frigate to add to your fleet.  Importantly, adding ships to your fleet slows you down a lot.  Sometimes it's best to immediately sell all the ships you capture, if they are damaged when you sell them, they tend to stay cheap in the store, so you can buy them later when you can afford the slower fleet.  When you have about 30k credits and or lots of cargo (did I mention you don't need to stay in the limits for cargo/fuel/crew? No penalty at this time), go to the station and buy the Hyperion.  Try and get a Hyperion + Tempest OR Wolf(with engine aug).  Those two generally make a speedy and deadly combo.  By now you can take on the medium sized pirates (carrier groups) and mop up after larger fleets class.  Go ahead and aggro the Independents if you get a chance, but stay away from the advanced multi cruiser fleets, they will mess you up.  At this point I don't recommend *** off the Tri-tach or Hegemony (blue/brown).  Continue on from here for a bit until you can afford a Medusa Cruiser, at which point you should be able to take on some serious fleets with the Medusa + Hyperion + Tempest +misc fighter/bombers.  You can also dominate any fleet smaller than yours.  

3)When you have a small fleet (3-4 ships or less) you generally don't get the option to deploy.  Rather you just get thrust into battle with your whole fleet and the enemies whole fleet.  Rarely are there goals on the map to capture.  This changes when you + your enemy have more than a handful of ships between you.  I'm not certain the exact limit.  

4) There are 3 sizes and 4 types of slots.  They are Energy (blue circle for small, 2 circles for medium, 3 for large).  Ballistic (Yellow square for small, etc).  Missile (green square for small, 2 squares for medium, etc). And Universal (grey Squares).

Pirates don't have the best equipment.  As to that, head over the mods section and find the Tri-Tachyon Station mod.  It puts a blue station near an outer planet that works like the brown Hegemony station, but it sells mostly high tech ships and energy weapons.  Highly recommended.  (Btw, can't remember who made it, too lazy to look, but you rock)

And a few more little tips: In frigates and other small ships it's often worth while to Hold down shift key, press A or D to side slip, and while you hold shift down, your ship will aim at your mouse.  It sounds dumb the way I describe it but it's a FAR better aiming system than using A,D to turn.  I'm hoping for a toggle button on this mode later on.  

Use Autofire (shift+weapongroupnumber (such as 1, 2 whatever)).  Any weapon you aren't controlling yourself should on autofire, especcialy turrets.  Exceptions for missiles and other limited ammo weapons of course.  You can also press X to hold fire, it's a toggle, so it stops all your auto fire weapons until you press it again.  

About the capture mechanic at the end of a fight.  If you disable a ship in combat you have a roughly 10% chance (maybe less) of it being capturable after the fight.  You then can mouse over it to see how much crew it has left.  1 crew, no problem. 10, sure, try it.  40, maybe you don't have that many marines, yet.  If it has too many crew for your marines (figure 2:1 marine:crew is good) then you can scrap it instead.  Further, in bigger fights, you'll eventually engage and the enemy will try to escape.  When this happens you can often have ships surrender to you after the fight is over (only if you win).  These ships that are marked (surrendered) do not put up a fight when you board them, and take no marines (you need to have SOME) to capture.  You can read more details about this mechanic in the forums. 

vsln

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 04:04:04 PM »

Thank you all for the hints. (special thanks to Kahabut ;D)

That all helped a lot. I'm now in an apogee, supported by 4 broadsword wings as well as one of those fat pirat carriers (cruiser I believe). But I think I'll rather take a couple more frigs and cruisers over fighters and carriers. Traveling the zone is painfully slow.

It feels a litte cheap to quicksave before every slightly bigger battle, but oh well, it's an alpha... so NO RULES.

I'll look into that station mod. Seems like a great addition.

cheers
v