Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tachyon Lance Fix  (Read 5561 times)

Pentakill

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Tachyon Lance Fix
« on: February 21, 2012, 08:14:47 PM »

Okay so the tachyon lance is the single most powerful weapon in the game because putting 4 on a paragon, adding ITU (+25% range) and Advanced Optics (+200 range), and sitting at the far bottom middle of the map you can charge flux up with the "F" key, get a super charged 4 shot, and literally 1 shot anything but capital ships which take like... 2 hits.. Tongue across the map. The only thing it needs is LoS (line of sight) with some speedy little fighters and BOOOOOM insta kill.

The 'fix' im talking about is the ability to actually SEE what we're aiming at.

Would it be fair to increase sight radius of any ship equipped with the lance by enough that we can actually see to the range it can shoot? I'm not asking to be able to see through the fog of war, just be able to move the camera to the weapons range, cause I either throw it on auto pilot for a boring insta win or have to haul my slow ass half way across the map just to see the boom for myself. Sure I can shoot at the tiny little ship avatar on the HuD around the edge of the screen but that's so boring and often I miss.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Tachyon Lance Fix
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 08:18:40 PM »

Target an enemy via the tactical map. Go back to the combat screen. Hit 'z'. You are now viewing the game from the target's perspective. If you're in range and pointed the right direct, your firing arcs will show up. If you're not pointed the right direction, use your armor silhouette in the bottom left to turn yourself until you are.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 08:22:05 PM »

or hold shift and tap a or d and then put your mouse pointer over the target and your ship will turn to face the mouse.. just keep holding shift down.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 08:24:27 PM »

Also a good method, arwan, although I would point out that you can't melt off a target's engines when you can't see it-- a useful feature of the tachyon lance.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Pentakill

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 08:31:02 PM »

@Alex
"Was a duplicate post in another board really necessary?  :)"

haha yeah my bad, wasn't really sure which it belonged in so I thought i'd get idea's from both groups :3

Target an enemy via the tactical map. Go back to the combat screen. Hit 'z'. You are now viewing the game from the target's perspective. If you're in range and pointed the right direct, your firing arcs will show up. If you're not pointed the right direction, use your armor silhouette in the bottom left to turn yourself until you are.

Oh awesome, wasn't aware of this :O ima go try it!!!
Edit: Ohhhhh my goddddd yessss I love youuuuuuuu!!! :D :D :D (no homo lol)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 08:35:49 PM by Pentakill »

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 08:54:09 PM »

No prob.

Alex has stated that the zoom distance can't be increased more than it can already because of technical issues; it'd bog down the game. Besides, scoping out an enemy ship like this is cooler anyway than watching your four pixel warship shoot a little line at a two pixel cruiser. XD

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 08:56:46 PM »

Also a good method, arwan, although I would point out that you can't melt off a target's engines when you can't see it-- a useful feature of the tachyon lance.

you hit z first. then my post. is what i was trying to elude to :P
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 08:57:20 PM »

Oh, yeah. Tots.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 09:27:47 AM »

You can also target them, hit z, then hold shift and tap a (to enter strafe mode), then you'll automagically turn to your cursor. Makes aiming much easier.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 01:37:30 PM »

or hold shift and tap a or d and then put your mouse pointer over the target and your ship will turn to face the mouse.. just keep holding shift down.

beat you to it :P
Alex

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 01:42:02 PM »

DOH! Dunno how I missed that.   :o
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire