Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The Doom?  (Read 20937 times)

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: The Doom
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 10:59:22 AM »

Never had any beef with the shape of the Doom tbh.
I always looked at it like having two ships in one. You decloak and fire one side then vanish, reposition and repeat with the other side. While one side fires the other charges/reloads etc.

Achataeon

• Commander
  • ~stare~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 03:47:36 AM »

I agree with some of the sentiments thrown around here. Yes, the ship is an awesomesauce piece of equipment, if configured properly. This is especially true if it were configured as an alpha striker (with lots of torpedoes) or as a long-range cruiser. (light needlers and heavy blasters)

But then again, focus firing is not it's strong suit, but only if you were to have knife fights with other ships. That long range build sort of takes care of the Doom's inability to focus fire on frigates and below.

I am interested in what a phase capital ship would look like though.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 03:49:33 AM by Achataeon »
"On average, a human has one breast and one testicle"
- Vsauce, Michael here

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 07:02:47 AM »

The Phase paradigm sort of breaks down on capital ships. A few mods have one and its really hard to balance it.
No faction is truly established without a themed Buffalo (TAG) variant.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2016, 07:31:25 AM »

We have a phase capital of sorts; it is called the Paragon, with its Fortress Shield.  A capital is too slow to use Phase Cloak for anything aside from avoiding attacks, just like Paragon does with Fortress Shield.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 07:35:52 AM »

The issue with the Doom's weapon slots not being able to focus fire is not an issue with the sprite or how spread out the weapons are. It just needs turrets instead of hardpoints.
agreed, having turrets (with something like 30-45° coverage) would be nice. generally i'd say having ships that need you to change your playstyle a bit from the norm is a good thing, but the spaced out frontal mounts of the Doom, to me, feel more awkward than interesting to use.

The Phase paradigm sort of breaks down on capital ships. A few mods have one and its really hard to balance it.
will be interesting to see how that works with the upcoming changes. if cloaks are as much used for mobility as for avoiding damage, it could become a nice defense for generally large/slow ships.

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2016, 08:03:46 AM »

Huh, looks like opinions about this ship aren't as one sided as I originally thought, anyway, the turrets idea is nice but then you'd still have the "X marks the spot" easy to hit shape.

As for phase battleships, The Shadow Order had the Abbadon, and it was weird, having a large flux capacity but HORRIBLE vent rate that sealed its fate when venting.

Not to say phase ships need to be fast/agile for obvious purposes.

I don't see phase cap ships being a thing any time soon as it would have to be either really gimmicky (telleporting+phase) or unrealistically fast and agile to work.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 08:08:48 AM by Sabaton »

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 08:06:05 AM »

phase capitals maybe viable after the phase changes, but i don't really like the idea of it anyway; it seems like something for commerce raiding, rather than fighting pitched battles.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 06:01:03 AM »

Or delivering a planet-killer, as revealed by mission lore.

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2016, 12:43:56 PM »

Now that I've read the upcoming changes, It feels like if the shape and layout of the Doom wasn't a problem 'till now it will be soon.

That 2 second delay will make fast focus fire and shot dodging that more important.

Something the X isn't stellar at.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2016, 01:03:53 PM »

So, phase ships just got the biggest buff ever and you're worried that the biggest, strongest phase ship will be too weak now? I don't see it.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

JohnDoe

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2016, 01:09:47 PM »

2 second re-phasing delay is a nerf to be quite honest family.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2016, 01:13:50 PM »

He's talking in general, they got so manny buffs this 2 second delay won't make them crap all of a sudden.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2016, 01:15:27 PM »

that's fair Gothars, but i agree with Sabaton that the changes could also make this more of an issue. i doubt the Doom needs a buff (and Alex has already said there will likely have to be some nerfs to phase ships), but not being able to focus your frontal guns on small targets is still weird. either you are forced to waste half of your shots (and flux) or you just use only one side, wasting firepower on larger targets. it just feels really awkward.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 01:27:46 PM »

I used phase cloak as a Fortress Shield knock-off, twitching it on-and-off at will as required.  The changes will probably make phase ships much more vulnerable to damage.  Great against the enemy, not so much for me.

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2016, 01:31:26 PM »

Gothars, I was refering to the Dooms inability to focus fire and large, easy to hit profile being more of an issue now that it it won't be able to phase in and out  on a whim.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4