Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scrolling inertia for the in game Index.  (Read 2098 times)

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Scrolling inertia for the in game Index.
« on: December 28, 2015, 12:23:46 AM »

OR should I call it encyclopedia? I am not sure if it is plausible, but since we have the ability to slide through the lists by right clicking and holding down the mouse button and then sliding, it would be nice to make it so if the mouse button gets released while sliding it, the menu will use physics (lol) and keep sliding for a while. I am sorry, I am sure there is a way to explain this in English more easily, but sadly I do not seem able to find the words.

It would be nice though to have the dynamics effect that the menu keeps sliding, not to make it look better, as much as using that when the lists get huge with all the mods, to easily slide through all the ships. Currently the easiest is to mouse over the really thin and not easy to mouse over scroll box and then slide it along the scroll bar. I thought that a thicker box would help with being easy to easily click on it, but I am guessing the thin design is for the UI to look futuristic, minimalistic and less of a window.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 10:08:57 AM by weltall »
Ignorance is bliss..

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
Re: Smooth sliding for the in game Index.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 03:34:55 AM »

II am sure there is a way to explain this in English more easily, but sadly I do not seem able to find the words.
Inertia.
OR should I call it encyclopedia?
Codex.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 03:37:03 AM by Aron0621 »

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 06:20:08 AM »

Better categorization, and a thicker scroll bar would be a better approach IMO.

Scrolling inertia is a UI feature more suitable to touchscreen devices.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 10:08:15 AM »

Thanks for the word thesaurus. I kind of remembered the inertia, but to be honest, I never knew codex meant that. Sadly my vocabulary is not that rich ^^;;

I am not sure for the categorization, but many times when I tried to scroll through, especially to find multiple ships/weapons I wished the scroll box was thicker. I came up with the inertia, because I just found out that I could actually grab and scroll through, with the right mouse button. Even if it is a feature of touchscreens, it would make the UI feel more futuristic and sleek though. Of course that is if not a great effort is needed.
Ignorance is bliss..