Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Does shielded cargo holds do anything in .71?  (Read 2792 times)

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Does shielded cargo holds do anything in .71?
« on: December 09, 2015, 08:26:11 PM »

I mean there are no toll shakedowns. Does it do anything at all? Does it have any effect on smuggling and trading on the blackmarket? The game gives no indication of this whatsoever.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Does shielded cargo holds do anything in .71?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 08:27:40 PM »

It affects the cargo scans you get from being caught w/ the transponder off.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 08:49:47 PM »

Ok, thanks!

Eggonaught

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 02:08:04 PM »

Yeah, the Hegemony don't seem to mind my wandering through their space with 3 Mules filled with drugs and harvested organs, as long as I keep the transponder on.
Random cargo scans would make smuggling even harder, considering how long it takes for even burn 10 frigates to escape a patrol.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 02:19:33 PM »

Sneaking into stations without transponder is hard enough.  If you get seen, patrols are hard to shake off, and getting caught is likely to end in a fight.  (Good if you are looking for enemies to fight, not so much if you are trying to enter markets that you otherwise cannot.)

Random shakedowns were awful; glad to see them gone in 0.7+.

heskey30

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 09:14:30 PM »

Agreed, Megas, but I could see random shakedowns with your transponder on if you are suspected of having smuggled stuff in the past. Especially by the hegemony. Smuggling feels a bit too safe now. 

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 11:03:03 PM »

I just started playing a trader/smuggler playthrough and these things saved my ass. In particular I had 2 Buffalos, one with Shielded Cargo holds and one without. I get caught by a Hegemony Patrol trying to sneak in and submit to the scan (they would have overwhelmed my Enforcer and Lashers and wiped my fleet), but they didn't find anything! I don't know if I just got lucky (the shielding was only on 1 Buffalo, so 300 cargo worth) or what.

Why am I sneaking in? If you aren't doing missions, then selling contraband leads to massive reputation hits and investigations. Having the transponder off seriously decreases the risk: totally worth trying to sneak most of the time.