Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Suggestion based on real navy worker I know: more sensor in exchange of CR  (Read 1960 times)

speeder

• Captain
    • View Profile

I know a guy that worked in real battleships.

Although he never got in real combat, he described to me how real combat worked, because beside drills, sometimes something suspicious happened, and the ship entered combat mode.

In combat mode people were to move to their combat stations, and when they had to shower they needed to run to the shower, and get back in 15 minutes, also even shifting people could sleep less.

I think this in the game is already represented by CR and Peak Performance.

Then I thought of this ability:

When it is active (it would be a toggle ability) it starts draining the ship peak performance and/or CR, in exchange for more sensor range without losing speed or making yourself more visible, also maybe it could give a slighly speed boost (1 burn point bonus, thus this is more relevant to slow ships than fast ships).

The idea is that you can thus join a combat easier (better sense + more speed, means catching up someone easier), but also means you start combat at disvantage (ie: you already lost peak performance/CR)

Dabor

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion based on real navy worker I know: more sensor in exchange of CR
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 12:20:01 PM »

The idea is that you can thus join a combat easier (better sense + more speed, means catching up someone easier), but also means you start combat at disvantage (ie: you already lost peak performance/CR)

Isn't the whole point of this in real life that you're ready to start combat at full effectiveness at any moment?

speeder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 01:21:31 PM »

Isn't the whole point of this in real life that you're ready to start combat at full effectiveness at any moment?

The point is not be surprised.

But you start the combat with people already tired, and systems already used up (example: engines already too hot)

Berty

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 01:21:03 PM »

I like this idea, I've often found myself wishing I had a way of squeezing a little more sensor range out of my ships when bounty hunting without suffering the massive speed penalty of the sensor boost.

Not too sure about the speed boost though; Emergency Boost already fills the niche of a speed boost and having loads of ways of boosting your speed could wind up being either OP, by making it too easy to catch everyone, or frustrating, with everyone else using all these speed enhancing abilities making it harder to actually fight a battle.