Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Author Topic: Reword the description of "Derelict Operations"  (Read 557 times)

Lukas04

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Reword the description of "Derelict Operations"
« on: August 19, 2024, 02:21:27 PM »

While re-implementing Derelict Operations within my own mod i noticed that the description feels very confusing, especialy when you misread it just slightly.

The second line is described as: "(D) hull deployment cost reduction also applies to maintenance cost".
Just by missing that it doesnt refer to it as "points", its very easy to asume this refers to the 6% deployment points cost modifier that the skill itself provides, not that it actually refers to the recovery cost reduction from dmods themself.
I think for a newer player it would also be more useful if it directly refered to dmods there, as just refering it to a reduction generaly provided to d-hulls is a bit indirect. 

I think making it more specific would be worth it, as it is very easy to read it as a 30% reduction at most, which while good, is way less than it can actually provide you.

Rusty Edge

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Reword the description of "Derelict Operations"
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2024, 06:22:46 PM »

I always assumed it referred to the DP point reduction. That's interesting.

Lukas04

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2024, 03:21:05 AM »

Yeah in actuallity its refering to the 20% recovery cost reduction that each d-mod provides, so its much more effective than many people may think. 
Also went and asked people about it on the discord and there were multiple people with the same misconception.

Rusty Edge

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2024, 11:55:58 AM »

See, that explains why hull restoration keeps getting buffed, while Derelict Operations has stayed the same.

What does that actually come to with 5 d-mods? It can't be a 100% reduction, I assume it's deminishing returns that comes out to 50 or 60%, right?

Lukas04

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2024, 12:41:05 PM »

See, that explains why hull restoration keeps getting buffed, while Derelict Operations has stayed the same.

What does that actually come to with 5 d-mods? It can't be a 100% reduction, I assume it's deminishing returns that comes out to 50 or 60%, right?

Pretty much most reductions are multiplicative in the game, so:
0.8 * 0.8 * 0.8 * 0.8 * 0.8 = 0.32 = A 68% reduction in supplies per month.

Rusty Edge

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2024, 06:53:59 PM »

74% with efficiency overhaul. Neat!