Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: New music for Galatia Academy (06/12/24)

Author Topic: Omega Weapon Tier List  (Read 474 times)

digitalizedMind

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Omega Weapon Tier List
« on: June 14, 2024, 07:11:20 PM »

Explanation of tiers:
F - Outclassed by common weapons and should never be used.
D - Underpowered, but still competes with common weapons.
C - Less powerful/versatile than other omega weapons, but balanced enough.
B - Balanced. IMO, omega weapons should have the strength of a weapon one size larger, ie. would a Shock Repeater be balanced if it was a common medium energy?
A - More powerful/versatile than other omega weapons, but balanced enough.
S - Overpowered. Provides extreme versatility like no other weapon does. It's considered unlucky when few/none of these drop in a run. May deserve a small nerf.

Small weapons
Spoiler
Shock Repeater: B
Great for stopping torpedoes as they do not explode after getting shut down by the EMP damage. Protects against heavy fighters by swiftly disabling their engines. Can also be used as a short range EMP DPS weapon; compared to Ion Cannon, it has half the EMP DPS but twice the energy DPS and hit strength. Still struggles against destroyer grade armor however. Is easily distracted by flares and saturation missiles as all small PD weapons are. Shielded fighters are protected from the EMP damage (until they overload).

Minipulser: A
Less efficient than conventional ballistics so the best way to use it is on high tech ships that don't normally have access to specialized anti-shield weapons. Consider smodding Expanded Magazines if these are your ship's primary source of shield damage. With it, it has 1500 burst kinetic damage that recharges in 10 seconds, or 750 every 3.3 seconds which is like a light needler with faster reload time. Runs out of ammo quickly, giving ships (especially the player-piloted ship) periods where it's better to raise or lower shields.

Rift Lance: C
Beam hit strength for the armor damage reduction calculation is equal to half of it's DPS. For continuous beams like tactical laser this is easy to calculate, but with burst beams like this, it can get crazy. Rift Lance emits a 1000 DPS beam compressed into a burst slightly longer than half a second, giving it a hit strength of 500, the same as a Phase Lance, Heavy Blaster and High Intensity Laser. Competent against cruiser grade armor. Struggles against shields despite being labeled as a "general" weapon. The flux efficiency isn't great however, if you have the Ship/Weapon Pack mod installed, the Light Phase Lance is arguably better than this because it has better flux efficiency for an otherwise very similar weapon.

Antimatter SRM: S
Antimatter Blaster is one of my favorite small energy weapons in the game, for a small weapon it has amazing burst damage against both shields and armor. The only thing preventing it from being overpowered is the minuscule range. So what if we just removed that? These things are just absurd if you spam them on a ship with phase anchor. This weapon has no downsides other than high per-shot flux cost and a long recharge time.
[close]

Medium weapons
Spoiler
Cryoblaster: S
Imagine a Heavy Blaster that has 30% less flux and damage per shot in exchange for QUADRUPLE damage vs. hull. You'd expect it to be a specialized anti-hull weapon due to it dealing frag damage, but the DPS and hit strength are so high that it just works as a general purpose damage dealer. The only downside is that it's flux is somewhat high, even by energy weapon standards.

Cryoflamer: C
Without expanded magazines, it deals 9000 energy damage over 6 seconds. With it smodded, it should do roughly twice the burst damage from full ammo since it recharges while firing. Low hit strength but often gets through armor anyway due to the extreme damage output and maximum armor damage reduction. Difficult to use with it's pathetic range and high flux/sec when firing, but works good when used optimally. Try piloting a nova with these things, it's fun I promise :)

Disintegrator: F
Shoot it at the enemy's armor then patiently wait up to 20 seconds for it to dissolve so you can fire other weapons. Completely outclassed by Mining Blaster which does the same thing except instantly. It's not even effective against hull. If you half the OP cost and reclassify it as a small weapon without changing any other stats, it might be balanced. I like the debuff, but it's not worth it on a medium weapon with 700 range.

Rift Beam: C
On paper, it's like an energy flak with it's AoE damage. In practice, it's AI can't work under pressure. The problem is that it doesn't spawn rifts for a brief period when it starts firing, it likes to switch targets a lot, and it stops firing when switching targets. When facing saturation missiles like locusts, it will constantly retarget and struggle to spawn any rifts. Although it's still good against low amounts of fighters, and some players negate it's only flaw by manually aiming it. I would rate it D tier in autofire hands, but B tier in player hands. The only balance change it needs is better autofire AI.

Resonator MRM: A
Very difficult to shoot down or dodge and has enough hit strength to take down frigate grade armor. Very threatening to frigates and high tech. Excellent flux efficiency but low DPS.
[close]

Large weapons
Spoiler
Volatile Particle Driver: B
Used to just be an autopulse that did kinetic damage and had range deviation, but shortly after omega was added to the game all of their large weapons have been buffed. Now it has better range, sustained DPS and flux efficiency. With good burst damage on top of good sustained DPS, it's (literally and figuratively) a big problem for high tech mains.

Rift Cascade Emitter: B
Creates rift explosions in a circle around enemies, with the amount and damage scaling depending on distance. Can bypass shields if the arc and distance are small enough. Good shield damage, good armor damage, what can I say besides it's good? It's only downsides are a long refire delay and that it's weak against shields at long range.

Reality Disruptor: S
Easily disables entire battleships assuming they don't have a large shield arc. It was already strong before the debuff was added, I'm not sure why people complained about it. The EMP damage is so high that things like Resistant Flux Conduits aren't gonna save your ships, it's more effective to increase repair speed with smodded Automated Repair Unit and/or Damage Control.

Rift Torpedo Launcher: C
A painfully slow projectile with more health than some frigates (3000). I don't like it because the sustained DPS is only 300, although it's pretty good at overloading battleships. The AI will try it's best to shield tank it, leaving it vulnerable to the same shield damage as three reapers as well as any other burst kinetics you can throw in at the correct time. I'd still rather put a Reality Disruptor in my large missile slots.
[close]

These weapons are from Omega Psychasthenia, a Chinese mod you can download on Fossic that adds multiple factions and of course omega content. An English translation of the mod is not out yet but I've heard the author is working on it. Link
Spoiler
Thermo-Siphon SRM: A
A small missile that costs 1000 flux to fire 350x4 energy damage missiles. The gimmick is that they drain about 200 flux from the firing ship if they hit. Reloads in 2 seconds, recharges a salvo in 8 seconds and stores up to 5 salvos. Can drain hard flux while shields/phase is active. Has 0.71 flux/dmg assuming all shots miss, or 0.014 assuming all shots hit. The primary downside is extremely small range (600). Best mounted in turret slots or with ECCM to decrease the odds they miss, as the tracking isn't great and misses are very punishing. The AI doesn't understand it drains flux on hit, so it will often conserve flux when it doesn't have to, but this weapon is still quite strong if used correctly, especially if it's on the flagship.

Entropy Beam: C
A strange medium PD beam with 1000 range, 250 kinetic DPS, and the ability to freezes missiles when shooting them. Generates a large amount of shield-piercing arcs that do kinetic (not EMP) damage, only disabling weapons and engines if the target's armor is weak. Expensive to run as it has 1 flux per damage, decent at suppressing ships although it can easily get distracted.

Vpdriver S: D
Meant to be a smaller version of VPD, although the only thing it has in common with VPD is the range deviation, so it's more like a larger minipulser. Short base range (600) plus bad efficiency (1 flux/dmg) so it's really just not good. The DPS is alright, but not good enough to make the weapon worth using.
[close]

Various irreleveant facts about Omega I just feel like sharing
Spoiler
All (vanilla) Omega ships have 0 shield upkeep cost and infinite PPT.

Omega Cores have 9 skills, along with a hidden skill omega_ecm that increases the fleet's ECM rating by 5/10/15/30%, depending on hullsize.

Omega Cores exist as an item like any other core, but cannot be obtained without mods. They are worth 1 million credits and 15 rep (base). They can be installed into industries, but have no effect. They can be assigned to govern colonies, in which case they have 6 skills including hypercognition. (Alpha core admins have 2 skills)

The code for the omega ship splitting mechanic is in a hidden hullmod called shard_spawner. If you make this hullmod obtainable and put it on other ships, it works. On a Capital (even an atlas), it spawns a Tesseract, two Facets, 1-3 frigates and 1-3 fighter wings.

The aforementioned shard spawner chooses loadouts based on the enemies present. For example if an Omega ship dies while mostly high tech ships are deployed, it's likely to spawn specialized anti-shield ships.
[close]

That's all I have for now. Let me know what yall think, I will edit this post if people change my mind about something.
also if you happen to have another mod that adds more omega content plz tell me about it thx

Changelog
Spoiler
June 16th 2024
Spoiler
Shock Repeater: A -> B
Minipulser: B -> A
Rift Lance: B -> C
Resonator MRM: B -> A
Reality Disruptor: A -> S
[close]
[close]
« Last Edit: June 15, 2024, 10:12:32 PM by digitalizedMind »

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Weapon Tier List
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2024, 12:12:35 AM »

It's weird for me to say this for a tier list, but I do not have a single remark, everything you said is on point.

Just want to add that the Cryoflamer feels real bad unless it's on a SO ship with s-modded Exp Mags. Then it becomes rather scary, I still don't like using SO but I can't deny how it makes Cryoflamer pop off really hard.
Please don't take me too seriously.

crvt

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2024, 03:04:54 AM »

Resonator MRM's are nuts an and improvement on pretty much any build that can fit them. Missile spec is necessary though, but having a couple of them justifies it already.

VPD's were decent before the buff, now they are extremely good. Extended magazines make them shine.

Reality disruptors are...well, they could use a tier of their own.

Lawrence Master-blaster

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2024, 04:03:47 AM »

Quote from: digitalizedMind
Cryoblaster: S
Imagine a Heavy Blaster that has 30% less flux and damage per shot in exchange for QUADRUPLE damage vs. hull. You'd expect it to be a specialized anti-hull weapon due to it dealing frag damage, but the DPS and hit strength are so high that it just works as a general purpose damage dealer.

Well, as long as you have flux to spare since its efficiency is as bad as the Heavy Blaster's.

Reality Disruptor is absurd though. Unless you have a 360 degree shield or at least 180 degree omni the ship will be just completely shut down for at least 10 seconds.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2024, 06:50:37 AM »

The main draw of Rift Lance was costing less OP than Phase Lance and getting +200 range from ePD and sIPDAI (and better than 1.2 efficiency when Phase Lance had 1.2 instead of 0.8 ).  Now that Phase Lance has 0.8 instead of 1.2, Rift Lance does not look so great unless I want the +200 range, but if I had my choice of Omega smalls, AMSRMs are the clear winner.  IPDAI used to not require s-mod to enable PD and getting +200 range on it was easy.  Now, with the s-mod requirement, I generally do not bother with IPDAI Rift Lance.

Rift Beam is a lot like the original Phase Beam (before Phase Beam became Phase Lance), except Rift Lance is PD-capable and cause occasional chip damage to shields with its explosions, while Phase Beam was just a double strength Tac Laser with EMP.  I use Rift Beam on Ziggurat if I do not have enough Resonators to fill all four mediums and/or I can fill all the small mounts with AMSRMs (and PD role gets shoved to medium mount).

Disintegrator looks like an enemy weapon who benefits more (or hurt less) from using poisoned or burn weapons against the player than the other way around.  In other games, enemies can use poison against the player just fine, but the player does not want to wait three or four turns to burn down hit points when the party can focus-fire and take out an enemy in one turn.

Resonators are very powerful - combination of long range, homing, kinetic, and regenerating.  They are kind of like Squalls.  I am generally not very fond of human medium missiles, so using this instead of human medium missiles is almost a no-brainer.

Reality Disruptor is a Quake2/Doom3 BFG, and just as overpowered.  Slow moving shot that lasers nearby enemies.  Here, the thing that makes it really nasty is the doubled knockout times.  It is easy enough to zap someone, but then have their knockout times doubled is crazy, and stunlocking one guy with it is easy.

The thing I dislike about Rift Torpedo is one shot out of the box.  Without extra max ammo, that one shot will most likely hit the shield and overload the ship.  It is more useful when I can shoot at least two and one of them can hit the ship itself and cause massive damage, but it takes a long time to regenerate more than one.  It is the least useful or practical of the Omega missiles.  Much rather use AMSRMs or Resonators.

For me, the big winners for Omega weapons are the missile compatible weapons, AMSRMs, Resonators, and Reality Disruptor.  They are overpowered and no human weapon does anything remotely similar (except maybe Resonator vs. Squall).  In addition, they do not have limited ammo like most human missiles.  Cryoblaster is nice, but it is close enough to Heavy Blaster.  Same thing with Rift Cascade Emitter, similar enough to Tachyon Lance.

prav

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2024, 07:44:30 AM »

If you wanted to make the Disintegrator really mean you'd have it pierce shields.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2024, 01:38:17 PM »

Resonators are elder god tier. Let's compare them to HVD to see why (assuming elite missile spec, ofc):
113 138 kinetic DPS in sustained mode (HVD has 138)
0.2 flux/damage (HVD is 1.27)
2500 range (HVD is 1000 base)

So you get pretty much the same DPS for a medium slot, at more than double the range, 6 times the flux efficiency, perfect guidance on projectiles, and the initial burst capability. On a high-tech ship, potentially, which normally suck at long range kinetics.

EDIT: messed up the math, turns out with missile spec Resonators have the same DPS as HVDs.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2024, 08:41:43 PM by Amoebka »

Jang

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2024, 03:59:09 PM »

Minipulser is really good for Omens. The best thing an Omen can do is spam EMP Emitter, and giving an Omen kinetic-only damage makes enemies drop shield all the time, which maximizes EMP Emitter effectiveness. With IPDAI the Minipulser matches the range of Systems Expertise EMP Emitter (700 and 750 su respectively). Minipulser also plays an important role on ships like SO Aurora. Very strong and unique weapon imo.

Thogapotomus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2024, 08:46:54 PM »

Really confused about the shock repeater rating. I really wanted to like it and tried it many times on different builds. Every single time I went back to bursts. If their OP cost was lower, maybe I'd use them. Honestly I think they're no better than C tier.

Resonator MRMs are an easy S. Great tracking, range, speed and damage. Will obliterate any destroyer/frigates on their own.

Reality Disrupters are S+. Sure they do no real damage, but the crowd control it provides is insane. If you have 2 or 3 ships deployed with these, you almost can't lose.

I really like disintegrators but the AI handles them poorly. Probably a C in my experience, but would be A tier if the AI used them correctly. Although, they're really only useful for fighting low tech. I like having them on ships that can can burst shields and then fall back. Just a salvo or two can completely strip armor off of ships. If you aren't facing low tech though, these are practically useless.

digitalizedMind

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2024, 09:56:35 PM »

Resonators are elder god tier. Let's compare them to HVD to see why (assuming elite missile spec, ofc):
113 138 kinetic DPS in sustained mode (HVD has 138)
0.2 flux/damage (HVD is 1.27)
2500 range (HVD is 1000 base)

So you get pretty much the same DPS for a medium slot, at more than double the range, 6 times the flux efficiency, perfect guidance on projectiles, and the initial burst capability. On a high-tech ship, potentially, which normally suck at long range kinetics.

EDIT: messed up the math, turns out with missile spec Resonators have the same DPS as HVDs.

Like i said, I believe an omega weapon is balanced if it is similar in strength to a common weapon one size larger. Is resonator better than a squall? If so, maybe it deserves a higher rank.

Lawrence Master-blaster

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2024, 10:06:31 PM »

Er, Resonators are good but HVDs have terrible kinetic DPS as it is. So saying "it's same DPS as HVD!" is not exactly praise.

digitalizedMind

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2024, 10:25:25 PM »

I really like disintegrators but the AI handles them poorly. Probably a C in my experience, but would be A tier if the AI used them correctly. Although, they're really only useful for fighting low tech. I like having them on ships that can can burst shields and then fall back. Just a salvo or two can completely strip armor off of ships. If you aren't facing low tech though, these are practically useless.

My problem with disintegrators are that they are only effective against armor (not even hull, as most weapons are) and despite being specialized they're still slow. There is simply other ways to deal with armor that are not only faster but also viable against hull. I honestly believe Mining Blaster is better, it delivers very heavy armor damage and even some reasonable hull damage in roughly one second. Heavy Mauler destroys armor roughly as fast with much better range and accuracy. The only situation I see disintegrator being actually a good choice is if you were to engage a modded ship that has like 10K armor, absurd PD and no albative armor or anything similar.

Thogapotomus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Today at 12:26:54 AM »

My problem with disintegrators are that they are only effective against armor (not even hull, as most weapons are) and despite being specialized they're still slow. There is simply other ways to deal with armor that are not only faster but also viable against hull. I honestly believe Mining Blaster is better, it delivers very heavy armor damage and even some reasonable hull damage in roughly one second. Heavy Mauler destroys armor roughly as fast with much better range and accuracy. The only situation I see disintegrator being actually a good choice is if you were to engage a modded ship that has like 10K armor, absurd PD and no albative armor or anything similar.

Yeah, I get where you're coming from. They definitely aren't optimal, but I like to use them for RP reasons and they DO work. In a fleet setting, they can do well, but they're inconsistent.  If they had their range and accuracy increased to where flankers could more easily threaten larger ships, then they might be in a good spot.

After thinking about it for a while, something like this would make it more appealing for me to use.

Ordnance points   14
Damage type   High Explosive Fragmentation
Range   700 900
Flux/sec   250
Accuracy   Spread Pattern Cut the barrel offsets by a few degrees to tighten the spread
Damage   100x3 400x3
Damage/sec 125 500
Refire delay 2.4 sec
Each shot deals an additional 500 damage to armor over 20 10 seconds (25dps 50dps). This damage is not reduced by armor.