Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Author Topic: [QoL] skill-set clones with limitations  (Read 250 times)

msoltyspl

• Ensign
    • View Profile
[QoL] skill-set clones with limitations
« on: July 19, 2022, 02:30:11 PM »

Hi,

I can imagine it's probably not the most original idea, but with the limitations outlined below it could probably work nicely - while leaving (or "leaving", see below) SP points for far more useful things and remove that "oh noes I'll waste a SP, let's not change anything" sitting deep in the back of the head. I know the idea also stinks of EvE, though while vaguely similar it's quite different in details as well (EvE's clones are - these days - for travel and implants only).

Anyway, the main limitations/features (limitations are just an example of course, they might be raised/lowered, or made entirely different - e.g. Fibonacci numbers instead of exponential growth or something like a+b^n):

1) exponential cost for obtaining new clones; for example 3 SP for 1st, 9 for 2nd, 27 for 3rd, ... + maybe some money
2) at most 1 clone swap per month (or N months ?) + money cost
3) must be installed in some station/colony, but no teleporting; involves installation/removal cost and analogous to officers upkeep cost; can be hauled to different station/colony; can be destroyed/lost - implying should one want a clone again, it will cost again as well, for everything - obtaining, installing, customizing
4) normal 1 SP cost for skill adjustment in a clone (+1 SP for making a skill elite)

ad.1
Obviously to limit the amount of the clones one might have - to sensible 2-3, but with prohibitively expensive SP[+money?] waste should one want more

ad.2+3
To not make things too easy/silly/convenient and/or turn into some clone microswap hell - the idea is to make it a useful feature to focus more on different part of the game for a bit longer period of the game, not to swap a clone each time before every salvage/fight/survey/etc.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 02:39:05 PM by msoltyspl »