Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Codex Overhaul (05/11/24)

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 87

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 475653 times)

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1005 on: November 24, 2018, 10:32:54 AM »

Was the relay you smashed a Domain one?  Smashing a makeshift relay is only -5 rep.  I think smashing a Domain one will put you straight to hostile like a takeover does, not to mention Domain relays cannot be built.
Nope. Makeshift.

Just checked.
The flavour text does say that it's likely that it could not be attributed to you, but you get -rep for breaking it anyway. Silly, but still better than lolwar.

Shodan13

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: November 24, 2018, 11:21:27 AM »

Building your colonies in [REDACTED] systems seems like a pretty good strategy, trade still works but any invaders will be in for a surprise. Not sure it's meant to work like that.

Hydra7-1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: November 24, 2018, 12:20:30 PM »

So I'm not sure if this has been said already, but the Luddic path seems a little op in their bases. If I travel to epiphany, they all scatter. but there is a base right below me that has blown up anything I send at it no matter how large the force. it seems pretty unbalanced if they have that kind of power so far from home but nothing close to it in the core worlds.

solardawning

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: November 24, 2018, 01:53:00 PM »

Building your colonies in [REDACTED] systems seems like a pretty good strategy, trade still works but any invaders will be in for a surprise. Not sure it's meant to work like that.

It's amazing. I have a sector that has a High Danger beacon system near the Core... and it has six habitable worlds (Terran, Terran-E, Tundra, Arid, Arid, Desert). So far I've colonized the Terran and Terran-E, which are both moons of a gas giant... around which the [Redacted] Nexus is orbiting.

Oh my god. This system is a constant bloodbath. My fleets, invaders, and swarms of [Redacted] Ordos and Sub-Ordos. There's wreckage everywhere.
It's amazing. This is the most fun I've had yet.

Note: You do actually get some stiff penalties. As trade fleets are killed, you get stacking Accessibility penalties, and if they were importing goods, your colony will wind up short on the good it was trying to import until a trade caravan makes it through.
It's still freaking cool, though.
Humanity is taking this system back.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 01:57:32 PM by solardawning »

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: November 24, 2018, 02:03:51 PM »

is there a way to turn around the "decivilized" trait a planet can get? whether from finding it that way or from bombing?
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: November 24, 2018, 02:34:58 PM »

from a discussion in the discord: we looked at profits from Light Industry and Heavy Industry, and the numbers on these two seem really off.

Light Industry makes way too little.

light industry isn't meant to turn a profit, it's to support your faction's population needs internally.
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Sebenko

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: November 24, 2018, 02:49:57 PM »

Started a new game and found an Equipment cache containing blueprints for both battlecruisers in about the tenth system I checked. Putting aside the fact that the box might as well have contained a note saying "To Sebenko, Love RNG XXX", It kinda reinforced to me that some way of controlling what blueprints the player finds would make blueprint hunting less tedious- in my first game I scoured literally half the sector for my favourite ships, while in this one, I put in no work and got what I was looking for.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: November 24, 2018, 04:29:56 PM »

Started a new game and found an Equipment cache containing blueprints for both battlecruisers in about the tenth system I checked. Putting aside the fact that the box might as well have contained a note saying "To Sebenko, Love RNG XXX", It kinda reinforced to me that some way of controlling what blueprints the player finds would make blueprint hunting less tedious- in my first game I scoured literally half the sector for my favourite ships, while in this one, I put in no work and got what I was looking for.

controlling what drops & when makes it predictable, which allows players to identify how far into the blueprints chain they need to get to pick up the blueprint for the ship they want and then to grind to that point every time they start a game, which would be unfun.
I know for a fact that if there was some predictable way for me to get a (A)Kite blueprint I would bee-line for it every game, no matter how tedious it is. And most players wouldn't go for such a cheap, worthless ship as I would.

Random is good. Random means you have no clue how long if ever it'll take for you to get what you want, so there's no point making the experience unfun until you make a score
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: November 24, 2018, 04:33:57 PM »

So I'm not sure if this has been said already, but the Luddic path seems a little op in their bases. If I travel to epiphany, they all scatter. but there is a base right below me that has blown up anything I send at it no matter how large the force. it seems pretty unbalanced if they have that kind of power so far from home but nothing close to it in the core worlds.

This.
The pathers need the following 'problems' addressing:
  • The bases that send terrorists to your colonies, and their supporting fleets need to scale. Start small - the first base I found doing this is almost untouchable due to being max level and being surrounded by functionaly limitless fleets (every time one is destroyed another spawns instantly)
  • These bases need to have some limit on how far they can spawn away from the colonies they are targeting - the same base above is 55ly away, and is a huge pain to get to with anything slow enough to have trouble avoiding storms
  • The fleets that drop off terror supplies need to be able to be intercepted without any penalty - doing so now results in -5 rep with the independants, which is silly given it is easy to see they are NOT independants

Chaos Blade

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: November 24, 2018, 05:34:29 PM »

The reason HI is so good is because it taps into 4 fairly big markets at once, can be upgraded in two ways (Orbital Works, nanoforges), and finally there's not much competition. And the "upgrades fleets and allows custom production" part.
Also, Independent have no HI, so they get -25% ship quality modifiers, but it appears to affect only Independent fleets spawned on Independent worlds. Fleets orbiting my capital are as pristine as my fleets.

I think Shipbuilding needs to be divorced from heavy industry and have it need also some inputs from light industry and heavy industry, also tech mining needs to be nerfed a bit on its output. a planet with HI and Tech Mining is going to start getting a large share of the market and that can be problematic.

Speaking of which, having Shipyards and its prerequisite industries should offer some advantages over imports, make it a bit better than an import scheme

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: November 24, 2018, 05:44:43 PM »

light industry isn't meant to turn a profit, it's to support your faction's population needs internally.
if that were how it actually works, sure. but it isn't. as long as you have decent accessibility, afaik it makes no difference whether you produce goods locally/in-faction, or import them from out-of-faction. out-of-faction imports don't cost anything.

but regardless, even if it it would work that way, this logic could be applied to pretty much any industry. food for your own population, ore for your own refineries, metals for your own heavy industries, armaments for your own ground defenses, fuel for your own spaceports, supplies for many of your different industries, etc. unless you own Volturn, literally every good that an industry on one of your colonies can produce will be in demand by another industry you can build on the same colony, or on other colonies of your faction.

but that doesn't change the fact that LI does export its produced goods just like any other industry. i don't mind if not all industries are meant to be profitable (and i actually think HI shouldn't be, as mentioned). but saying that if LI isn't profitable, it is clearly because it isn't meant to be, seems a bit silly -- especially considering the use you describe doesn't actually exist in terms of gameplay (unless you have really bad accessibility for some reason, so that you run into shortages when importing from out-of-faction).

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: November 24, 2018, 06:10:53 PM »

So one thing the 0.9 release and my current iron man play through has taught me, is respect the Apogee.

Unable to find an actual cruiser or capital blueprint, plenty of production (pulling in 1 million credits per month), I've got defense fleets of Apogees.

SO and Hardened Shields Apogee with maxed vents, Plasma Cannon (bought from the core systems) and 2 Heavy Blasters (also bought from the core systems) works surprisingly well as a player piloted ship.  At point blank range (i.e. shield ramming range) all 3 weapon hit cruisers and capitals no problem.  Active flares and shields for missiles, and the blasters are pretty good at knocking down swarming fighters.

I vaguely feel like the Federation using Constitution class exploration vessels for combat...

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: November 24, 2018, 06:20:43 PM »

Apogee's are surprisingly good combat ships with Plasma Cannons - they fix its firepower problems pretty well, leaving good flux stats, shields, and a large missile. (I adore the new plasma cannon.)

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: November 24, 2018, 06:54:37 PM »

I do admit this Apogee situation does make me wish duplicate blueprint drops which I already knew were turned into blueprints I didn't know.  Or that I could trade duplicate blueprints to other factions for their blueprints or something.  Some kind of controlled method to gain blueprint progress, rather than getting 3 high tech blueprint sets and simply selling two of them for a rather small amount of credits.  I would gladly spend a million (or ten million) credits to get a single blueprint of my choice, but I can sell the duplicates only for less than the value of the ships they allow you to build. Their valuation seems off given their rarity and importance to the sector. Perhaps you shouldn't be able to sell them at all, but turn them into station personal for some other "influence" value that could be cashed out later for blueprints they have access to (at a very unfavorable rate presumably).

Or perhaps finding a bar patron willing to trade a blueprint I have on hand for a different one might be interesting.

Something other than dumping rare and basically unique recovered technology onto the market like a stack of metals.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: November 24, 2018, 07:28:37 PM »

Yeah, its really odd that blueprints are both cheap but also completely impossible to find on the market. You'd think other explorers at the very least would be selling them off. On the other hand, factions probably try to buy them up as fast as possible to keep blueprint out of the rabble (our) hands. I agree they would make good mission rewards!
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 87