Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Codex Overhaul (05/11/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [0.97a] Lobster cruiser v3.0.0-rc3  (Read 17406 times)

Not_a_cat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
[0.97a] Lobster cruiser v3.0.0-rc3
« on: February 04, 2024, 09:33:06 AM »

Lobster Cruiser v3.1.1

Having played the game several time I have always found myself avoiding cruiser class ships there was always something that makes their use seems suboptimal. So I decided to create a series of ships which I would love to use in my own playthroughs with the following constraints in mind:
1) The ships must be fun, fast and nimble
2) They should perfectly blend into the game
3) Everything in the ship should have an obvious purpose
4) Having somewhat average parameters they shouldn't feel overpowered
5) Cruisers should have a nice progression and age well with s-mods and more experienced officers

Please meet the result of this endeavour:

THE LOBSTER
Spoiler
[close]
Lobster is the result of an initiative to create a fast and deadly cruiser that would swarm isolated enemy capital ships. Inspired by Hammerhead, this late-domain era cruiser was built around ammofeed system that largely compensates for its seemingly inadequate armament. Contrary to its name, Lobster's armour is agreed to be quite mediocre, and if not for its modern shields, the ship would be an easy prey for any rival with armour-piercing capabilities.

Although on paper Lobster met all requirements, it was viewed with scepticism by Army generals, which was only exacerbated by its poor performance against carriers during military exercises, that fact and the low operational range greatly reduced the initial scale of production.

- Lion's Guard Lobster
Spoiler
[close]
The Lion's Guard Lobster is part of a programme to increase the use of energy weapons. While the hull itself remained largely untouched, the forward weapon slots were adapted for the use of energy weapons, not only demonstrating a commitment to innovation, but also fully in line with the Supreme Executor's vision! The ammunition feeding system has also been replaced with the highenergyfocus system so favoured by the Lion of Asconia.

- Pirate Lobster
Spoiler
[close]
The Pirate Lobster was rumoured to have been modified by one of Altair Exotech's former employees, kidnapped by pirates during the collapse. This version was stripped of all the safety features and large chunks of armour, resulting in unprecedented speed and manoeuvrability for a cruiser class ship which alongside with greatly increased flux dissipation rate made it indispensable for harassing and destroying lightly armoured civilian targets.

- Lobster (TT)
Spoiler
[close]
It is still unclear whether Tritachyon's acquisition of the original blueprint for the Lobster cruiser was a lucky find or the result of industrial espionage, but experiments on the modified version are well documented. With an improved shield and additional maneuvering engines, the ship proved to be a formidable opponent, but due to its redundancy to other hulls, it was never put into large-scale production.

- Lobster (LP)
Spoiler
[close]
May the blood of Ludd flow in my veins
May his Spirit heal me and show me the Path
May his Light cleanse me of doubt and sin
For where there is Light, there is no fear

- Elite Lobster
Spoiler
[close]
The Elite Lobster was the last attempt to retain large orders from the domain military. After the relative failure of its predecessor, it was decided to equip the ship with better armour and heavier weaponry. These efforts were not in vain, and as a result the ship was able to outclass the Dominator in one-on-one combat, something previously only possible with capital class ships. This got people talking and helped get a few medium orders, but due to its high price tag and lack of effectiveness against a large number of smaller opponents, the cruiser lineup was not widely adopted by the military. Despite all this Elite Lobster and its smaller brother became very popular amongst mercenaries and aces.

- Lion's Guard Elite Lobster
Spoiler
[close]
The idea for the Lion's Guard Elite Lobster was born on the very same day successful Gigacannon trials were completed. The Supreme Executor's eyes were set on all hulls capable of carrying this magnificent weapon, and Altair Exotech's Elite Lobster was considered to be one of them. Inspired by the success with its smaller brother, Andrada's best and most loyal engineers managed to replace the frontal gun's ammofeed with vast array of capacitors required to power the Gigacannon and other energy weapons.

Bon appétit

PS
Many many thanks to @MiniDeth3 who is responsible for awesome spritework for this mod
PPS
Please leave your feedback on the mod by following this link, -- would love to hear back from you

« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 09:41:40 AM by Not_a_cat »

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.97a] Lobster cruiser v0.0.1
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2024, 04:38:08 PM »

Hello there, I am not a talented artist by any means but I did take a stab at kitbashing a vanilla hued Aurora "Lobster" variant.

Edit: Since Not_a_cat decided to not use this image because it looked a bit cursed with the lobster loadout, I decided to use an updated version in TTSC so it is no longer free to use.

Not_a_cat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2024, 12:08:27 PM »

Oh! Cool thank you! Will update the thing

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2024, 12:41:12 PM »

But how well does it handle magnets?
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2024, 03:18:19 PM »

Glad you like it, enjoy!

Not_a_cat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2024, 02:05:41 AM »

Glad you like it, enjoy!

Front side of the ship looks a bit cursed =(
It seems you misunderstood the size of it's "claws"

Not_a_cat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2024, 02:21:51 AM »

Glad you like it, enjoy!
BTW Shall I add you as a coauthor ?

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2024, 02:30:37 AM »

Front side of the ship looks a bit cursed =(
It seems you misunderstood the size of it's "claws"
Well I went with a more Aurora look I guess. If I understand your concern, you would rather the side mounts were on extensions like your initial purple ship rather than on the the sides of the top, correct? OR was it that I had medium mounts on the top instead of large like you show in your image?
BTW Shall I add you as a coauthor ?
No need. I just saw your request go unanswered for some time so I figured I would lend a hand.

Not_a_cat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2024, 03:11:02 AM »

It looks very cool, no complaints here! However the front side looks a bit busy with 2 large ballistic guns
Compare:

&

What I am saying is the fron of the ship needs to be a bit more hummerhead like, what do you think ?

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2024, 04:46:05 AM »

It looks very cool, no complaints here! However the front side looks a bit busy with 2 large ballistic guns
Compare:

&

What I am saying is the fron of the ship needs to be a bit more hummerhead like, what do you think ?
The images you linked do not show up on the forum and when I directly copy them is goes to a blank image. I agree though that the two hard mounts are too close together for large weapons. I can widen the top and insert large mounts and see how that goes.

Princess_of_Evil

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2024, 04:52:18 AM »

They show up perfectly fine for me.
https://imgur.com/a/3QjGupC
Proof that you don't need to know any languages to translate, you just need to care.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2024, 06:51:11 AM »

Ok so how about this one:

Not_a_cat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2024, 08:33:06 AM »

Updated mod version! Thanks A LOT
++Would it possible to add it to index?

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2024, 09:17:24 AM »

Updated mod version! Thanks A LOT
++Would it possible to add it to index?
You can message a moderator to have it moved and added. Do you plan to expand this or just the one ship?

Not_a_cat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.97a] Lobster cruiser v1.0.0
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2024, 01:23:12 PM »

Do you plan to expand this or just the one ship?
I want to keep it simple so just one ship, however I am thinking about creating several versions of it
1) Midline (the standard lobster)
2) Lion Guard (Beams instead of ballistic guns dunno ?)
3) Elite (OP increased to 160 built in fighter bay (or 2) DP increased to 30)
4) Pirate (Built in SO + 2 Synergy turrets are replaced with just missile + removed 2 small ballistic turrets from the back)
Pages: [1] 2 3