Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nothing Personal  (Read 9375 times)

MechaLenin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Nothing Personal
« on: January 28, 2012, 01:12:29 PM »

I bought game recently and I really love it. Excellent combat system, good balance between weapons, great gameplay. Really looking forward to next patch... but!:)

I find Nothing Personal actually impossible to beat. I got this game for 2 days, is this mission beatable? Can anyone advise any strategies? I know you can try to use Aurora's beams and try to outrange capital, but i always get spammed to death anyway. Is there replay of someone completing this mission?

PS: Respect for Alex for great game and contact with community.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
Re: Nothing Personal
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 02:46:27 PM »

>.>
<.<

To answer your question, yes.

Beat it second try. I bet Qloos could do it in one try.

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 02:53:48 PM »

Everything you have out runs the enemy capital ships and destroyers, Stay back from them kill off the fighters and frigates. Then whittle them down 1 by 1.

Erebos

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 03:27:35 PM »

I answered a related question here; hope it helps.

hairrorist

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 09:38:23 PM »

Nothing Personal isn't really that hard.  I found some of the other easier rated missions much more difficult.  THe key is to keep your fleet close and compressed, controlling the nav bouys, and outrunning everything using your ridiculous range.

MechaLenin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 07:28:11 AM »

Ok I just completed it without losing much. It really  wasn't that hard... but only thanks to abusing nav buoy mechanic. Hope they work a bit on that.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 08:10:12 AM »

Ok I just completed it without losing much. It really  wasn't that hard... but only thanks to abusing nav buoy mechanic. Hope they work a bit on that.

Is that like abusing the mechanic where the opposition ships lose health when you shoot them  ???

Would you mind expanding, do you think the current system is unbalanced?

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

MechaLenin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 09:03:00 AM »

It is imbalanced because it allows to buff your fleet to the point where you can beat opponent many times stronger by using irrational AI behaviour. I did not complete this mission because of sophisticated strategy, but by exploiting stupid AI behaviour. In fact, this mission can be completed without losing single ship. Since AI will never be perfect, game mechanics which allow you to take too much advantage over it should be limited.

It's fine to beat somewhat stronger AI fleet by good maneovering your battlecruiser and wise orders, but imagine you're playing campaign and can beat ridiculous amount of capitals by controlling nav points with fighters and outranging their fleet with flagship... it's just not fun.

On a side note, nav buoy bonuses are awfully arcade-y... while game itself seems much more "serious" than SPAZ for instance.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 09:20:54 AM »

Thought I'd chime in here - the admiral AI has a serious flaw that makes winning this mission (along with Dire Straits) much easier than it should be. Later in the battle, it has a tendency to keep a bunch of ships at an objective for no real purpose. This has been fixed.

Edit: Just played through the mission (needed to anyway, due to all sorts of balance changes in the game). Got a fairly easy victory, but I'd attribute it more to the high-tech ships just being that much stronger. A nebula right out of the gate for the AI side doesn't help much either - all the heavy hitters couldn't get anywhere in a reasonable time. Btw, the new loadout for the Aurora (the flagship) doesn't include long-range weaponry, so there wasn't any kiting involved. So at this point, I think it's just a question of the mission not living up to the "impossible" label.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 09:39:12 AM by Alex »

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 10:14:23 AM »

It is imbalanced because it allows to buff your fleet to the point where you can beat opponent many times stronger by using irrational AI behaviour. I did not complete this mission because of sophisticated strategy, but by exploiting stupid AI behaviour. In fact, this mission can be completed without losing single ship. Since AI will never be perfect, game mechanics which allow you to take too much advantage over it should be limited.

It's fine to beat somewhat stronger AI fleet by good maneovering your battlecruiser and wise orders, but imagine you're playing campaign and can beat ridiculous amount of capitals by controlling nav points with fighters and outranging their fleet with flagship... it's just not fun.

On a side note, nav buoy bonuses are awfully arcade-y... while game itself seems much more "serious" than SPAZ for instance.
Thanks  :)

I personally rank Nav Buoys as the highest priority point, almost aways, so you may have a point.

Controlling nav buoys against a slow fleet is also a very good idea, as controlling nav buoys is massively important for slow ships. One to watch for balance I suppose.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

hairrorist

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 11:55:58 AM »

Nooooo, I love the ridiculous range on the Aurora! :)

Giving the AI a few more fast ships, maybe a hammerhead and a few frigates might go a long way toward making this mission hard.

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 08:16:22 AM »

Huh, when I first saw the title of the OP, I thought it was gonna be a rant post.   ;D  lol, silly me!
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

AdmiralMaelstrom

• Lieutenant
  • When death approaches, fire another volley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 01:06:08 PM »

I joined this forum for this very reason. I beat the other impossible missions, without use of exploits, but for this one I may have to explot the AI a bit  ;D Whatever it takes to win!
Whatever it takes, no matter the cost.

Qloos

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 01:48:05 PM »

Beat it second try. I bet Qloos could do it in one try.

Lets test this theory...

68% victory.   Not as good as my 92%

AdmiralMaelstrom

• Lieutenant
  • When death approaches, fire another volley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 12:51:33 PM »

Didn't exploit the AI (not that I know how) and won with a 67%  ;D Honestly quite proud of myself.
Whatever it takes, no matter the cost.