Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gunning Decks (hull)  (Read 5033 times)

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
Gunning Decks (hull)
« on: July 15, 2012, 02:49:58 AM »

Pretty simple idea

Having ships doted with entire parts of the hull that would rotate

What would be the point ?

To have multiple guns capable of rotating as one

See it as a super-heavy turret emplacement built directly into the Ship's hull with the capacity of wielding multiple guns at once

Downside: The gunning deck is only issued with HARDPOINTS completely negating the speed of rotation of the weapon and thus making to weapons forced to rely on the rotation speed of the deck itself

Advantage: thoses decks although very slow at turning are doted with multiple guns allowing it to unleash a dense wall of projectiles

It also allows to mix both the "Linked" and "alternating" firing solutions

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
Re: Gunning Decks (hull)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 07:01:41 AM »

Hmmm.

This is possible, and it would make for some very interesting ship designs.

But the real question is, is this something the DEVS want to be doing?

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 07:48:10 AM »

Hmmm.

This is possible, and it would make for some very interesting ship designs.

But the real question is, is this something the DEVS want to be doing?
I suppose it would be rather fun for us modders to play with also, allowing us to have a 3 barrelled giant tachyon lance cannon with a pd system on top for fun hehe
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 10:53:48 AM »

As I said before, but this time I think I'll concentrate my point a little bit more:

This is a nice idea, and it is possible.

BUT.

Do the Devs, who already have enough on their plate, want to spend time working on a system that they didn't even think of (or so i think...), and put their own ideas to one side to work on said idea?

Probably not.

AlBeGaDe

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 12:45:15 PM »

As I said before, but this time I think I'll concentrate my point a little bit more:

BUT.

Do the Devs, who already have enough on their plate, want to spend time working on a system that they didn't even think of (or so i think...), and put their own ideas to one side to work on said idea?

Probably not.

Hyph, no offense, but that's the POINT of a suggestions forum and an alpha. They SHOULD VIGOROUSLY take others' good ideas. This sounds awesome. Very interesting. Need 12 Tachyon Lance barrage cannon

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 01:02:01 PM »

I'm fully aware of that.

But my point was, whilst tho idea is good, I don't think that the developers will be spending very much time on a new mechanic like this one when they already have other stuff planned.

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 01:36:01 PM »

BUT.

Probably not.

Hyph, no offense, but that's the POINT of a suggestions forum and an alpha. They SHOULD VIGOROUSLY take others' good ideas. This sounds awesome. Very interesting. Need 12 Tachyon Lance barrage cannon

Don't really care. Just put three guns on turrets.

AlBeGaDe

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 06:04:51 PM »

Something I didn't think of- some weapons would look REALLY weird on gunnery platforms. Most of the double barreled turrets for example, or the hellbore, which is an example of an asymmetric weapon. And how useful would it be for those weapons. At the current time, all I can think of is missiles and Tachyon Lances.

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 03:17:22 AM »

Something I didn't think of- some weapons would look REALLY weird on gunnery platforms. Most of the double barreled turrets for example, or the hellbore, which is an example of an asymmetric weapon. And how useful would it be for those weapons. At the current time, all I can think of is missiles and Tachyon Lances.

"Multi-barreled weapon would look weird on it"

More of a cosmetic thing than anything else, what prevents you to go in the game file, change the sprites and voila no more "ugly" guns

Besides if its such a big problem either they COULD:

1: NOT be put on thoses to begin with

2: some salvo based weapons would benefit IMMENSELY from that, namely plasma cannons and Pilums to name my personnal most used

3: it would be like having, firepower-wise, a ship on a ship, always having a set of weapon capable of engaging a ennemy trying to pull a quick one

AlBeGaDe

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 04:45:44 PM »

Isn't that what I said? And the other thing was not just aesthetics, but would it really be useful on multi-barrel guns?

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 05:01:22 PM »

I fail to see how this is better gameplay-wise or more useful than a standard turret setup.

AlBeGaDe

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 01:11:07 PM »

I fail to see how this is better gameplay-wise or more useful than a standard turret setup.

It isn't. But how often are heavy hitting ballistics or missiles, or heck, even energy weapons on turret  mounts. Most Large and medium emplacements are hardpoint, and while there are many medium turrets, they don't have anything like a 360 degree radius.

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 08:08:27 AM »

It isn't. But how often are heavy hitting ballistics or missiles, or heck, even energy weapons on turret  mounts. Most Large and medium emplacements are hardpoint, and while there are many medium turrets, they don't have anything like a 360 degree radius.

That sounds like a ship design problem, not a reason to put an entirely new and unnecessary system in the game.