Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Codex Overhaul (05/11/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How do you guys fly the High tech ships ? like the wolf  (Read 16142 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: How do you guys fly the High tech ships ? like the wolf
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2014, 04:48:34 AM »

If I use blasters on Falcon or Eagle, I go all the way, two on Falcon or three on Eagle.  Very flux intensive, but very destructive.  Requires max Combat and Technology to pull it off, and only for the flagship.

I also use blasters on Mule, Venture, and Heron.

For Antimatter Blaster spam, Afflictor and Doom are very effective at that.

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2014, 02:07:36 PM »

If I use blasters on Falcon or Eagle, I go all the way, two on Falcon or three on Eagle.  Very flux intensive, but very destructive.  Requires max Combat and Technology to pull it off, and only for the flagship.

I also use blasters on Mule, Venture, and Heron.

For Antimatter Blaster spam, Afflictor and Doom are very effective at that.

I did board a doom a while ago, if i managed to fit it with antimatter blasters how good would it work solo? should i bring a couple more phase ships to go with it?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2014, 03:33:00 PM »

Depends on your skills.  Max Combat/Technology character can make a Doom fire five blasters and hurt just about anything.  Antimatter blaster Doom has six antimatter blasters, two mining blasters, and two burst PD lasers at the rear.  No Missiles.  Max vents.  Hullmods are Augmented Engines, Expanded Magazines, Integrated Targeting Unit.

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2014, 03:14:42 PM »

Depends on your skills.  Max Combat/Technology character can make a Doom fire five blasters and hurt just about anything.  Antimatter blaster Doom has six antimatter blasters, two mining blasters, and two burst PD lasers at the rear.  No Missiles.  Max vents.  Hullmods are Augmented Engines, Expanded Magazines, Integrated Targeting Unit.
Don't forget 10 combat to deal with the hard flux generated by the cloak. I have a lot of practice ahead of me so that I don't have to deal with the dropping combat readiness that the Afflictor suffers from.

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2014, 03:54:07 PM »

Don't forget 10 combat to deal with the hard flux generated by the cloak. I have a lot of practice ahead of me so that I don't have to deal with the dropping combat readiness that the Afflictor suffers from.

luckily the character i have the doom on is Combat 10 Command 5 and Technology 7, ill have to put it in my fleet next time i remember where i put it

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2014, 07:39:04 PM »

Power Grid Modulation 10 is useful but not necessary to use phase ships.  Other Combat skills at 10, especially Helmsmanship, may be more useful.

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2014, 06:32:22 PM »

Power Grid Modulation 10 is useful but not necessary to use phase ships.  Other Combat skills at 10, especially Helmsmanship, may be more useful.
Helps to get away when in danger of being flanked, yet I placed safety as priority, considering how difficult it is to procure certain ships. I know that I can benefit from reduced hard flux production, but trying to stay cloaked for too long is asking for trouble, and ships faster than mine even at 10 Helmsmanship + Augmented engines will make it difficult to stay away from a nasty surprise from their payload.

Squigzilla

• Commander
  • SQUIG Industries
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2014, 11:13:50 PM »

The Hyperion is an excellent ship. Its long range teleporter and great flux dissipation means that you can support two heavy blasters plus your choice of small energy weapons. I go with burst PD lasers to deal with fighters or antimatter blasters to destroy targets even more quickly. Missiles aren't realy necessary, but some torpedos help crack the armor of hard targets. Really any combination of hard-hitting weaponry (not beams) can get the job done, so equip it however you prefer.

In combat, you can choose your engagements at will. There's a reason the Hyperion costs as many fleet points as a cruiser: nothing smaller can survive against two heavy blasters that teleport into your blind spots with impunity. It is VERY fragile though, so one wrong move or well-timed sabot hit can overload your shield and blow you to pieces.
High Admiral Davian MacNaile of the SQUIG Industries Human Resources Motivational Flotilla

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2014, 02:19:56 AM »

I'm level 45 and flew ONLY a Tempest. Just now, when i'm facing capitals, will i move on to something else, a Conquest or just Paragon up.

The thing with high-tech is shields. Any harpoon or missile or stray shot you take on armor/hull is a mistake you can't afford to make often. Dual antimatter blaster Tempest is finnicky, hard to play, but pays out in spades. Armor ships can hold their own and do a mixed bag of shield/armor tanking but shields played well allow you to stay in the battle and grind down the enemy. They often do less on flat out damage but in the end, they'll come out on top.

On the other hand, losing one, which can happen given the luck of a harpoon or overloading at an inproper time, usually spells out a game reload.

Personally, i never fly anything BUT high-tech, high-speed fleets. Running around atm with a Tempest/DualBuffalo/4-5x Medusas for heavy fighting or a Tempest and two medusas for skirmishing, at 8 burn.

When i do make the flip to a capfleet, i'll probably stick with a 5-6 burn setup with twin paragons and some minor fast attack, maybe the new Heron and some Wasp wings.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2014, 06:00:34 AM »

The Hyperion is an excellent ship. Its long range teleporter and great flux dissipation means that you can support two heavy blasters plus your choice of small energy weapons. I go with burst PD lasers to deal with fighters or antimatter blasters to destroy targets even more quickly. Missiles aren't realy necessary, but some torpedos help crack the armor of hard targets. Really any combination of hard-hitting weaponry (not beams) can get the job done, so equip it however you prefer.

In combat, you can choose your engagements at will. There's a reason the Hyperion costs as many fleet points as a cruiser: nothing smaller can survive against two heavy blasters that teleport into your blind spots with impunity. It is VERY fragile though, so one wrong move or well-timed sabot hit can overload your shield and blow you to pieces.
Ever since I got Missile Specialization 10 (to counter skilled flagships), my Hyperion can solo all but the largest of fleets.  Four fast Reapers boosted by Missile Specialization and Combat Ordnance 10 will send a max Combat Onslaught flagship to critical and make it flee.  With sensor objective boosts and/or Target Analysis 10, four Reapers will kill a skilled Onslaught outright.

At level 71, with most skills maxed, this is my Hyperion.

Hyperion
Weapons:  Heavy Blaster x2, IR Pulse Laser x2, Reaper x2
Hullmods:  Extended Shields, Hardened Subsystems, Resistant Flux Conduits
Capacitors:  20
Vents:  14

Reapers to kill skilled flagships.  If I have more leftover, they will one-shot destroyers and (D) cruisers.  Afterwards, use IR pulse lasers to kill fighters and blasters for everything else.

Yes, it is fragile.  One mistake is often fatal!

The thing with high-tech is shields. Any harpoon or missile or stray shot you take on armor/hull is a mistake you can't afford to make often.
This is why Damage Control 10 is so good.  You take a hit, back off, regenerate the damage, and come back for more.  Less useful for frigates due to peak performance, but still useful.

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2014, 06:13:22 PM »

Yes, it is fragile.  One mistake is often fatal!
The thrill of one-hit KO shoot em' ups... taking a full ship hitbox as an added challenge.  :P My skills have rusted, further handicapped by laptop hardware.

Agalyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2015, 05:20:24 PM »

This game is amazing,  but out of all the kinds of ships i find the high tech ships like the wolf, apogee and others like them very strange to fly. I die repeatedly trying to figure them out, and usually end up allying with the Hegemony, buying a falcon and cramming my fleet with whatever else is lying around.
I've heard of people soloing cruisers in a wolf... and i have problems fighting a lasher in a wolf. anyone got any good tips? i like the ships the Tri-Tachyons fly but i cant use em fer nothin   :P

Its good to see someone not using high tech ships actually, I think most people use them exclusively. I tend to. Funily enough, I actually don't care for cruiser sized and up high tech ships. The small ones are all great though. I also passionately despise the wolf, even though I will acknowledge its quite good. Theres plenty of good tips in this thread, but I guess if I had to say anything:
1> Play defensively. You're a soft, shield monster. One missile could ruin your day. Don't get surrounded.
2> Vents. Lots and lots of vents. If your vents and pool are maxed and you've got whatever else you want, shields. Don't be afraid to use frontal shields on anything that doesn't broadside.
3> Fighters are bad. Smaller high tech ships don't deal with fighters very well if there's more than one or two wings. Find the carrier and nuke it.
4> Don't overreach your ship. IE, don't use mining blasters and other huge high flux weapons on ships that can't handle it. Use whatever you can use efficiently. High DPS, high efficiency is the goal. Phase beams are great, if quite rare.
5> Defense before offense. This is more for starting off, but don't do anything you can't do safely until you're better with whatever ship you're in. No risks. Don't override your weapons and fill up your flux in a bad spot.

Again, these are personal tips. If someone already said something similar to these, I apologize. I'm sure someone way better than me could tell you something better, but this should at least keep you alive.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2015, 07:43:49 PM »

Its good to see someone not using high tech ships actually, I think most people use them exclusively. I tend to. Funily enough, I actually don't care for cruiser sized and up high tech ships.
Don't blow off high tech ships bigger than caps just yet.
The Apogee is a sniping master and comes with 360 degree shields.
The Aurora has THE highest burst damage in the game (24,000 starting off and 36,000 with Missile Spec 10) AND it has 180 degree omni shields! This means that you can get stabilized and accelerated shields for the price of less than one of those mods!
As for the Caps, I don't fly the battle-cruiser with a flight deck the Paragon is damn near unkillable in the hands of a high level, skilled player.
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2015, 10:17:52 AM »

Wold requires patience. It's pretty viable though. Even the (d) variant is useful. That Phase Skimmer.  :)

I usually fly pretty close to the stock variant. I also usually max out tech first. Extra vents go a long way on high tech ships.

I used to fly them with a blaster on front and three standard pds, hard to find blasters now, though, and the ship is much more fragile than it use to be.  :p  It's still a fun ship to try, though.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Delta7

• Commander
  • forum idiot
    • View Profile
    • my personal DA account
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2015, 07:12:15 PM »

-anyways, phase ships are not my style, i find they usually preform well as opportunistic hunters, waiting for the right moment to decimate a venting/ overloaded cruiser with a volley of antimatter blasters, torpedoes and missiles. they usually should stay out of combat with other frigates whenever possible. if you have starsector +, the phase destroyer's phase teleporter and phase cloak combo allows it to wreak havoc on large, slow (or distracted) ships with alpha strike weapons such as the heavy pulse laser, trebuchet missiles, or torpedoes of any sort.
-the wolf (my favorite starter ship) is a versatile ship with a number of excellent choice loadouts. it can be played (somewhat) aggressively in the hands of a skilled player so long as you watch your flux, equip a few vents and keep the phase skimmer charged. excellent hit and run/ harasser setups usually include a heavy blaster (or AM blaster), but my personal favorite is the very versatile and extremely flux efficient combo of a graviton beam, a trio of either tac lasers or burst lasers, and a pair of your choice of finisher missiles, though i personally like the harpoon racks. concentrated fire from the graviton beam allows you to win a flux management shootout with nearly any frigate, forcing an untimely overload or vent within as little as 12 seconds, usually followed up by an opportunistic pair of harpoon missiles as a parting gift. the bust lasers increase the survivability of the wolf and allow you to stay in direct combat for longer before needing to back off to vent. tac lasers combined with graviton beam allow you to legitimately shoot it out and win against enforcer class destroyers, assuming you dont forgo the extra flux capacitors for a hull mod. step 1: shoot lasers till they overload. step 2: shoot missiles. step 3: watch the fireworks. oh, and that loadout? it's flux efficient enough that it still works on D variant wolves, and the loss of the 2 small lasers actually perfectly compensates for the slightly less good flux management, at the cost of a bit of hitting power (or point defence). oh well, more op to equip those expanded missile racks i guess.
-larger ships... apogee is a VERY versatile ship. contrary to popular belief, those front small energy slots are not for AM blasters exclusively. incoming missile volley from a ship directly in front? burst point defence laser thinks not! also... just try it: 1 graviton beam, 1 phase beam, 1 high intensity laser, 1 LR PD laser, 1 tactical laser. rainbow lasers of death! anyways... high intensity laser or even more so, tachyon beam turns it into a powerful sniper along with sensor drones and maybe some hullmods to further increase range. plasma cannon turns it into an absolute terror for anything not able to match it in a flux war, and very few ships it's size can.
-aurora is a versatile fast flagship that can preform a variety of roles at once, and most of them involve turning the enemy to cinders with terrifying effectiveness. the energy slot/ missile slot combo can easily be one of the most lethal in the game if used correctly. ooh, and it's a carrier too. assuming i didnt just confuse the battlecruiser with the cruiser, i do that sometimes. both are actually similar in playstyles really, only one is bigger, has upsized (though similar layouts of) weapons slots, and the cruiser lacks the hangerbay.
-paragon... if all it's weapons, shields and flux are properly micromanaged, the paragon class battleship can easily survive a relentless hail of fire from a mid sized enemy fleet all on it's own, and return it all with interest. if you're able to support such a demanding and costly ship with no real logistical benefit, you will easily be able to feast on the tears of any pirate fleet stupid enough to attack you.
-i forgot medusas. play like heavy wolf. graviton beams are still an acceptable loadout, (especially if you let the ai fly it), but the medusa is an alpha strike master, equip all sorts of torpedoes and antimatter blasters. some people like shield tank medusas equipped with pulse lasers, but if your gonna shield tank in a medusa, here's a tip: use graviton beams! they keep your enemy's flux high, keeping them on the defense, allowing you to wear them down, ect. one of the most underrated weapons in the game.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 07:52:34 PM by Delta7 »
warning: may be prone to random outbursts of stupidity
Pages: 1 2 [3]