Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Codex Overhaul (05/11/24)

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2237800 times)

Uthilian

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #1305 on: March 07, 2013, 04:28:55 PM »

Some portraits
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
source http://ariochiv.deviantart.com/art/Hawkfleet-Races-Sketchdump-351291164

the weapons from earlier on a ship
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 05:07:30 PM by Uthilian »

robokill

• Captain
  • Hey, over there stop looking at my guns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: March 07, 2013, 07:27:46 PM »

have you ever played starcontrol two theres a scottish space terradactal clan and they are awsome.

StickyNavels

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: March 08, 2013, 01:34:01 PM »

Sketching out a sort-of-bioship faction. This is one of the Capital ships I'm working on that I'll use to inform the general aesthetic of the fleet. It's light on hardpoints (which are messed up at the moment), but I hope to make up for it in some interesting way.

Spoiler
[close]
(it's the one in the middle)

It's still very much a WIP, but I'd be grateful for criticism.

sini002

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: March 08, 2013, 01:44:33 PM »

Sketching out a sort-of-bioship faction. This is one of the Capital ships I'm working on that I'll use to inform the general aesthetic of the fleet. It's light on hardpoints (which are messed up at the moment), but I hope to make up for it in some interesting way.

Spoiler
[close]

looks awsome ;D and maybe a bit creepy :P it has a bit dark feel about it :)

conorano

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: March 08, 2013, 01:52:24 PM »

looks really cool i think it could use some built in weapons to make it stronger and make the weapons unobtainable.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: March 08, 2013, 02:01:12 PM »

Awesome bioship design there.  The mount points look out of place, though - I'd suggest not using standard starfarer weapon mount icons, and instead inventing your own that better match the ship's aesthetics; in particular, if the player leaves one of those without a weapon installed, it's going to look rather out of place.  Maybe something with a bit of glow in the same color as the engines, or a dark gaping hole into the ship's interior, or exposed light-colored "flesh", or something?

As for weapons... I'm guessing six small, three medium, and two large, all turrets?  That's actually decent armament for a capital ship.  If you want a bit more, though, I'd suggest a drone system - designed more like a scaled up variant of the Tempest's drone, where there's one or two drones active at a time, and they're more direct assault heavy-hitter types (maybe a fixed forward medium weapon & a small PD turret) than the swarms of small PD drones we more commonly see.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: March 08, 2013, 02:06:11 PM »

looks really cool i think it could use some built in weapons to make it stronger and make the weapons unobtainable.
and make it so it cannot be salvaged...thats gonna be fun :), i really like the ship though, stuff to make it better: shadows (as you said), weapon mounts as wyvern said.

My suggestion would be to have a section connecting the two heads, but leaving a gap in the middle (just because it would look awesome, and really look like the onslaught and the paragon had a bastard byblow, which = awesome )

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: March 08, 2013, 03:10:26 PM »

Spoiler
[close]

great job, i like the shape , dark colour (you can see all the curves)
also i see some inspiration in Giger drawings
as for me i wouldn't change a thing
as for numbers of mounts: well no body say's that capital ships should be 1 ship army (or similar) it could have current numbers of mounts but it can be cheaper as for Fleet point's for spawn 2 capitals like these insted of 1 Terminator
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: March 08, 2013, 04:19:07 PM »

Spoiler
[close]

Is this a kitbash or original spriteart? If original than HOLY MOLY! (speechless)

Uthilian

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: March 08, 2013, 04:52:32 PM »

Spoiler
[close]

very cool makes me think of a shadow ship from Babylon 5

StickyNavels

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: March 08, 2013, 11:57:24 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, people! I appreciate it. :)

sini002: Dark and creepy's good! I'm glad you think it is. :)

conorano: I do enjoy cool and exciting ship systems. I will probably design a couple more ships before I decide on gameplay mechanics that will suit the fleet. We'll see what shakes out!

Pelhamds: The gap actually was bridged in one of the concepts. I'm still going back and forth on this, but I suspect I'll settle on the current open loop in the end. Not sure what you mean by shadows? Do you mean there's a lack of depth?

Wyvern: I actually had a set of custom hardpoints before I opted for the standard ones. However, I was afraid that the ship would seem too unfamiliar without some kind of easily recognizable Starsector detail. Maybe I'm overly cautious. I do like the idea of glowing hardpoints - should be easily readable and not clash against the bioship aesthetic.

A drone system would be interesting - and I'm planning one for another Capital ship in the line-up. :)

theSONY: I love Giger! I will probably emphasize phallic symbolism a bit less, though...

Thule: It is original spriteart. I've tried kitbashing and found it incredibly difficult. I've got mad respect for anyone who's proficient in that!

Uthilian: To my great shame, I have to admit I've never watched Babylon 5. I googled the ship though and it looks pretty interesting. Gave me some ideas for a Cruiser. :D

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: March 09, 2013, 12:08:41 AM »

Spoiler
[close]

O.o  o.O  Dude, this is.... Like... It's... OMG!!!!! I... Damn!!!  Just make your own weapon slots so they fit overall ship PERFECT design and that is it. It's...
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

starfigter

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: March 09, 2013, 10:53:02 AM »

Finally had time to shade it, what do you think?
First try on shading ever, learned a lot.

starfigter

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: March 09, 2013, 04:01:05 PM »

Did another one, a bit more special this time.
Any criticism is appreciated.

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: March 09, 2013, 04:06:27 PM »

one problem the dark red bits don't look attached, the middle ones look to thin as well.....i really like the engine though, same with the 'claws'

(Im sounding soo harsh and that makes me sad :( )
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 482