Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Codex Overhaul (05/11/24)

Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2234125 times)

TheBawkHawk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #4455 on: September 06, 2014, 02:20:34 PM »

I didn't have the old version saved, as I had overwritten it accidentally. So i had to draw in some vents, and i gave them the slightest purple tint to look like it's actually used to vent flux, as well as some scorch marks on the hull where the flux (which i assume would be pretty hot) burnt the armour a bit.

Spoiler
[close]

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4456 on: September 06, 2014, 02:55:31 PM »

In my opinion that is a hasty judgement. This is a progression, not ending points.

EDIT:
Also, what about the old one did you like better? Try to give him suggestions so he can improve.
For me it just looks better as a whole :D  I'm not good at spriting so i cant give advice on how to improve or what to do to make it better, I'm just looking at that two ships and Old one is looking better then New one.
Well, that armor plates (left and right side of ship) looks better on Old one and vents got more "meat" on them (on Old).
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

ORMtnMan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4457 on: September 06, 2014, 03:01:32 PM »

I didn't have the old version saved, as I had overwritten it accidentally. So i had to draw in some vents, and i gave them the slightest purple tint to look like it's actually used to vent flux, as well as some scorch marks on the hull where the flux (which i assume would be pretty hot) burnt the armour a bit.

Spoiler
[close]

I dig it! Looks more like a hotrod with those vents, and much better on the shading. If you ever want to get your old on back, you can alway right click and save as on the picture you posted originally. If that doesn't work, I could send you one that I downloaded to analyze.

For me it just looks better as a whole :D  I'm not good at spriting so i cant give advice on how to improve or what to do to make it better, I'm just looking at that two ships and Old one is looking better then New one.
Well, that armor plates (left and right side of ship) looks better on Old one and vents got more "meat" on them (on Old).

I agree with you on that point about the in between version. HOw about the most recent one?

It could use some scoring (I.E. darkening) around the sides and top of the vents.

I'll post a picture if I can find one
Creator and lord of The Ashkurr Commonwealth

Sprite artist and designer for Naysmyth Armouries

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4458 on: September 06, 2014, 03:14:19 PM »

I agree with you on that point about the in between version. HOw about the most recent one?
It could use some scoring (I.E. darkening) around the sides and top of the vents.
I'll post a picture if I can find one
Well this new youngster is better than New one BUT Old one is still better for me for same reasons :D
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

ORMtnMan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4459 on: September 06, 2014, 03:25:49 PM »

Well this new youngster is better than New one BUT Old one is still better for me for same reasons :D
HAH!

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4460 on: September 07, 2014, 10:37:04 AM »

@max thanks for that. I've spent time doing analysis of David Baumgarts work, but there are other guys here who can give better art advice. Anyway as for your ship It's hard to know where to start with that freighter. Don't get me wrong it's unique and interesting enough, it deviates hugely from vanilla yet it doesn't. I could make some comments about the light source not giving enough light to the forward part of the ship, but it's not that far off. Style wise it could be considered closer to black rock maybe?

I'd have to get the ship in game next to similar ships to get a better determination. There is going to be some potential issues with the collision radius and damage deco...but art wise I'd have to get it in game next to similar ships to really comment. The animation and movement of nearly the entire ship is just....nothing like it in vanilla so I don't really have a frame of reference.

One thing I might suggest is having a greater range of colours of the cargo containers. This would be fairly time consuming, and a part of me is not convinced it is not a whole solution either. I think it needs more regular elements like gantries, girders, cranes, pipes, lights, antenna, black and yellow hazard stripes, a bridge, command and control, living areas, electrical generator looking thing.

Have a look at the SCY ships by Tartiflette. He does lots of smaller animations and effects on a ship. I've seen sometimes 50+ smaller individual animations. Sometimes each only have 2-3 frames, however lots of little movements gives a feeling of greater complexity and seems more natural and vanilla.

I sure I'll come up,with some better words for it later, for the moment it's in the too hard basket. I just noticed ORMtnMan comments about it being a waste of energy to keep them spinning? I assume form following function it is some kind of precious cargo that must maintain a from of gravitational force and grav plates are a waste of energy compared to just spinning something.

thanks a lot for the comment, agree with most of them except for the bridge part. to me a visible bridge is just telling your enemy where to shoot at. for the same realistic thing (for my personal taste anyway) i love to add reverse thruster to my ship as well, just they don't work well in game so give up on that.

anyway to fit the comment and for a more conventional approach here's the 2nd version:

texture is not done yet but more or less should look like this instead of the previous one.

armored is added back for A: game damage fx don't do well if the outside is animated. B: it's military hull, not civil.

Inner tube (not quite visible topdown) is expanded. the top half would be a giant hanger/flightdeck and possibly mini factory for defence drone production, lower part is engineering and all.

drone defence is worth that much space used for giving it's size and armor, when it's at gun range the outcome is pretty obvious. would be quite a number of missile and fighter point defence for sure.

Outer spinning tube would of course be the living quarter and cargo hold.

main engine is at the middle outer rim which I believe that position and layout would offer the best control of this mess.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 10:51:33 AM by maximilianyuen »
Fleet construction in progress.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4461 on: September 07, 2014, 12:01:37 PM »

You're welcome. I'll comment a bit more tomorrow. But I think it needs some more greebles and such to give it a sense of scale.

Hand painting greebles might be easier. In which case there are a few works flow for doing that, even try adapting some components from vanilla?

The other thing would be the light source is not big enough, or whatever the case there is not quite enough light at the edges. This reminds me of BRDY style a bit, not a bad thing as they are very popular, how it feels a bit harsh.

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4462 on: September 07, 2014, 10:20:43 PM »

thanks, I will try animate first and see if it work in game first...then I will see I will add details in 3D or in PS... saving a hell lot more time in PS but really want it move :)

there will be window light across the hull for added details in my mind, but that makes render time 10x longer so would be last step...

and yes, i really like the black rock style....too bad i suck at codes so basically incapble of all sorts of animation that's not frame base...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 10:22:23 PM by maximilianyuen »
Fleet construction in progress.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4463 on: September 07, 2014, 11:59:49 PM »

You might be able to bake the lights into the texture to reduce render time?

xlandar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4464 on: September 08, 2014, 02:54:59 AM »

Well, this is my first attempt at splicing a ship, so i don't really know what i'm doing. criticism appreciated!

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #4465 on: September 08, 2014, 04:14:29 AM »

It is supposed to be a tanker, right? The rear part of the ship looks a bit too 'agressive' for a civilian vessel. It suits more some pursuit frigate or gunship IMHO.

Now if you make a single narrow drive originating from the mid section that has no wings and side-mounted thrusters - that would look like a suitable tanker.

The removed rear part you could use with some pointy front section to create a striking and fast-looking frigate.

EDITED: about the kitbash itself - it looks nice. Parts are assembled accurately without gaps/overlapping. Shades look quite consistent. Good job!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 06:07:33 AM by Okim »

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4466 on: September 08, 2014, 05:04:55 AM »

I won't be as nice as Okim for this one. After all you just strapped a Dram on top of a Phaeton's butt, while aesthetically it kinda work, it's still a bit cheap of a kitbash.

If you use Photoshop (if not i recommend you to use it or Gimp). The lasso and marquee tool (in the top left) are the tools i use the most to take the parts i'm interested in, i can change them a bit with the eraser after that.

With this, you can start to make much more developed kitbash.

ORMtnMan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4467 on: September 08, 2014, 05:59:04 AM »

Well, Helmut and Okim pretty much covered it. To reinforce the points.

What you did well:
Good job on keeping the coloring consistent.

What could be improved:
The engine section of the original dram still seems to be visible against the Phaeton part. You can see the squarish dark line, try blending that dark line in at least.
There are many ways to do this. Use GIMP (which I totally recommend because it is free/opensource but has pretty much the same functionality as Photoshop (though I guess I have not used PS in a long time, not sure what happened to my copy). In Gimp you could use the smudge tool, color dropper and pencil , or use the free select, highlight the line and delete it, then merge the parts together.

Play around a bit. Don't be afraid to experiment with tools. If you mess up, you mess up. It is the only way you will improve.

To Okim's point, it does look a bit over-aggressive on the back end.

Great first attempt, but I don't think it pans out design wise. (keep in mind this is my aesthetic opinion)

That being said, still play around with blending it more for practice.

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #4468 on: September 08, 2014, 06:01:01 AM »

HELMUT`s post actually made me browse the core sprites folder... Indeed it's a very simple kitbash :)
However - its quite good and clean for the first one regardless of how simple it is.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4469 on: September 08, 2014, 07:58:35 AM »

@maximilianyuen

The other thing I would comment on about your ship is how bleak and grey it is, mind you in the overall scheme of things it's not that high a priority.

Image size: 198 x 484 px / 95,832 px
Solid pixels 61,663 px
Partial transparent: 2,513 px
Solid Area + psuedo transparent area is 62,969.26 px
Pixels that are shades of grey: 7,868 / 12.49%
Pure black: 5,083 / 8.07%
Pure white: 36 / .06%
Unique colors: 24901
Unique shades of grey: 200
Unique colors (inc. grey): 25101
Unique colors/area avg: 0.3954469

Ok so the take away from this is , yeah, too a bit too much grey, way way way too much pure black. 8% pure black is an extremely high rating compared to vanilla.
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 482