Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Codex Overhaul (05/11/24)

Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2234160 times)

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #4215 on: August 09, 2014, 12:15:38 AM »

What I was saying was that the borders are not as wide or nicely gradiated as vanilla. See below.

Lcu

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4216 on: August 09, 2014, 05:06:36 AM »

Spoiler
[close]

Any suggestions on the details? I am terribly low on inspiration  ???
Spoiler
Ctrl+F, type 6
[close]

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4217 on: August 09, 2014, 05:43:16 AM »

some lines to define armor plating along the hull, shading under windows, armored collars around gun mounts, shading under elevated parts of the ship, perhaps mechanical things sticking out on the side and front, perhaps antennas or rods for position lights.

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4218 on: August 10, 2014, 12:49:04 AM »

My first planet texture. It's still a WIP. Debido said the light blue-ish thingy along the coastlines should be blend into the seas.

http://imgur.com/vuCevWA

Spoiler
[close]
Like Debido mentioned, your coastal shallow region is too uniform. You've already properly shaded the continental shelf, so do the same for the shallows, taking into accounts large rivers, underwater mountain ranges, and various gulfs.

Looks pretty good otherwise, though I'm no geologist.
No faction is truly established without a themed Buffalo (TAG) variant.

Lcu

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4219 on: August 10, 2014, 01:01:55 AM »

My first planet texture. It's still a WIP. Debido said the light blue-ish thingy along the coastlines should be blend into the seas.

http://imgur.com/vuCevWA

Spoiler
[close]

Just saw this, looks amazing!!!
Spoiler
Ctrl+F, type 6
[close]

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4220 on: August 10, 2014, 02:52:04 AM »

Spoiler
[close]

Any suggestions on the details? I am terribly low on inspiration  ???

It feels as though the shading around the edges is almost too constant. Perhaps it should be a little deeper / darker in the middle section? Also, the ship looks very smooth. Too smooth in my opinion. Perhaps you can add some smudges and scratches to break it up a little? Also, the windows / lights are neat. But perhaps they'd look better if there was a little variation in colour (darker and lighter yellow dots).

This edit by me is in no way an improvement, but just a quick demonstration of what I mean:
Spoiler
[close]
Notice the difference in darkness on the windows in the middle and lower section (left the top rows unchanged). Also, the smudges break up the texture, making it look less smooth, especially in areas that lack details. I also made the outer shading a little less uniform. Now I did a sloppy job at it. But I'm sure it would look better if you took your time to do these things.

Lakis

• Lieutenant
  • I shall offend all of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4221 on: August 10, 2014, 03:43:07 AM »

I'd like a little input on the Aenet, I realize it's certainly not the prettiest and there's lots of room for improvement, but at this time what do you guys think?

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8100.0 - Metelsons Faction Mod - Occasional contributor - mostly a cold dead planet.

Zudgemud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4222 on: August 10, 2014, 04:49:50 AM »

Here are two ships that I have been working on for a while.

The larger of the two is the Delcy class destroyer, and the other one is the Vonision class Frigate. The Vonision received a better shading this time around compared to what it previously had in another post.
Any Critique?
Shape looks good on both of them (I especially like the round one) and the basic design has promise.

However... the blue cockpit windows looks a bit out of place and could use some outer edges to delimit them from the rest of the hull, and my personal opinion is also that the gray metallic ship hull does not really fit with the turquoise colorscheme that you have on your "plating", basically your hull color is too bright to fit well with bright details such as those. Your bigger ship also looks like it lacks 3d structure at the moment, it looks like it has rounded edges but the turquoise windows or whatever looks like stickers on a flat uninteresting hull, and have no shading to support their look as functional structures, this also applies to the round ship but there it is less obvious and thus less of a problem.

Spoiler
[close]

Any suggestions on the details? I am terribly low on inspiration  ???

I like a lot of the greeble things you have there at the center of the hull and the interesting shape, but the "window lights" or whatever at the sides look pretty bland and could use some more work, and as previous posters have said you could add more details like vents and armor plating lines and various hatches and lights. Look at other ships to get inspiration, neutrino ships are a pretty good starting point for these kind of things.

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: August 10, 2014, 07:10:22 AM »

long time no see, busy die and not a single new ship is made ;D
so sad to see the game didn't make much progress....

just saw the shader mod seems pretty cool, if i know how to use...

Spoiler
only got time to do some little enhancement to what have already been done ;)

animation in youtube with sound, not in game:
[close]
Fleet construction in progress.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: August 10, 2014, 07:19:08 AM »

Game is a bit slow now yeah, but its coming along nicely, been a few blog posts here and there to keep us interested.

My my, the Azmo really has come a long way from its initial design stage, that is really cool, i simply cannot wait to see it complete. =)

it seems to have lost its bridge and the rear hangers, but you did make like 10 different versions of the ship i believe.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:21:33 AM by ValkyriaL »

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4225 on: August 10, 2014, 07:33:39 AM »

Game is a bit slow now yeah, but its coming along nicely, been a few blog posts here and there to keep us interested.

My my, the Azmo really has come a long way from its initial design stage, that is really cool, i simply cannot wait to see it complete. =)

it seems to have lost its bridge and the rear hangers, but you did make like 10 different versions of the ship i believe.

haha yup, life is a bit difficult now but guess i will make it.

for the bridge...i am getting to believe that bridge does not really needed and is outdated concept, which should be replaced by a Combat Information Centre or that sort of thing at the heart of the ship.

having a giant window and crucial part of the ship out there is just a huge weakspot now thinking about it:)

you think?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:40:38 AM by maximilianyuen »

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: August 10, 2014, 07:37:14 AM »

oh and btw, during which time i did use this model for some pitching trying to start some animation project with some friend, unfortunately miss the bid...

but still made some graphic for the storyboard that you are one of those few that I should say thanks to, this ship won't be here otherwise :)

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2014/160/6/1/sw_animation__concept_art_1_by_maximilianyuen-d7lney6.jpg

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2014/161/6/5/sw_animation__cover_poster_ver__glo_by_maximilianyuen-d7lnsz1.jpg
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:40:02 AM by maximilianyuen »

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: August 10, 2014, 08:00:43 AM »

To think something i started got someone else this far!

ITS TOUCHING! :-[

and yeah, i guess bridges are just eye candy, a real spaceship, if there was one, would never have that, i think the Azmodeus here is as close to a functional real world spaceborne capital ship as you can get, hell it even looks real on those pictures.

Ryxsen1421

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #4228 on: August 10, 2014, 08:53:28 AM »

Type 54MT sprite upgrade! What do you guys think?

I'm trying to get myself out of using black outlines completely as I used to with my previous sprites. The gold colors represents the ammo type. Red color is just for decoration.

Spoiler
[close]

My replies:
Spoiler
@Ultimatum

Your ship looks kinda flat to me. You might wanna add some brighter shadings at the middle to show the area is higher or some sort.

@Lcu

Your ship reminds me of the wrench and are somewhat closer to Bushi-style. Erick Doe have already ninja'd me as I was about to tell you what should be added to improve your sprite. Good luck!

@Viymese

She looks like a mini space outpost without obvious engine parts like most of Starsector's ships do. Your sprite needs some more depths ( was comparing the deck and that chocolate edge thingy, are they in the same height? ) nor greebles to make it look like worn-out or at least.. not as empty as that.
[close]
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 09:07:25 AM by Ryxsen1421 »

Lakis

• Lieutenant
  • I shall offend all of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: August 10, 2014, 02:03:49 PM »

@Viymese

She looks like a mini space outpost without obvious engine parts like most of Starsector's ships do. Your sprite needs some more depths ( was comparing the deck and that chocolate edge thingy, are they in the same height? ) nor greebles to make it look like worn-out or at least.. not as empty as that. [/spoiler]

Huh, I never thought of her like that, cool idea.

As far as the chocolate edge and the deck goes I should actually just make them one solid piece with some shading to show that the main deck (where the guns are seated) is lower than the bridge.

I'll come back after a bit of tinkering...
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8100.0 - Metelsons Faction Mod - Occasional contributor - mostly a cold dead planet.
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 482