Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Codex Overhaul (05/11/24)

Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2234103 times)

Magician

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #2700 on: November 19, 2013, 03:01:14 PM »

Doogie, thats awesome. Is this 1:1 size or you changed size when converting from BSF? Also do you plan to animate "wings"?

Still can't come up with bigger ships, so I present you today special fighter (for shipsystem of the bigger ship) Black Rain. It's main features are powerfull Railgun and low angle front shield with fortress shield system. Yes, it sounds a bit powerfull, but this is not a regular fighter/drone, or in other words it doesn't fit in the niche of the regular fighters/drones, its more of reversed role.

Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 03:04:32 PM by Magician »

Doogie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: November 19, 2013, 03:10:34 PM »

It's slightly smaller, as I felt the ship should be more of a cruiser/light destroyer to begin with.
I would animate the wings, but since my skills don't go much further than BSF + basic photoshop I'd feel much better if someone else did that. With that said, if anyone wants to take a stab at it, by all means do.

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: November 19, 2013, 04:15:31 PM »

Spoiler
[close]
newest iteration, went for a colorsheme i did for for the republic of erk minifaction some time ago

@doogie
cool ship, would benefit immensly if those sails were animated

Magician

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: November 19, 2013, 08:46:18 PM »

Thule, this ship has incredible deep underwater feeling. Be it league of legends, I definitely would name it Nautilus. I am almost itching to come up with some story for space divers from deep void.

Finished sister of Black Rain - Blue Tears. She is similiar in a sense that she also has long range weapon. But its mostly sniping weapon, not DPS/burst-railgun as Black Rain's. Also she has 2 weak but pestery drones to distract enemies while she snipes them.

Spoiler

[close]

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: November 20, 2013, 01:29:02 AM »

This is sorta a quick speedpaint before I go back and trace over everything in multiple layers so it actually looks decent. Not sure how I feel about the "eyes" in front. Anyhow, speak now or forever hold your peace.

@Thule- I don't like the color scheme. I feel like you should do something more in the orange/red spectrum since a lot of the underlying mounts and details are rust(ish) colored. Alternatively, you could tint the mounts/details to a blue-ish grey and keep the colors you have on now. Also the fronts of the "arms" and forward mounts are really dark for some reason.

@Magician- I really like the Black Rain. Add some shadowing! If you're having trouble coming up with ships, I recommend choosing a role and size (like destroyer/carrier) and then just sitting down with a piece of paper and pencil. Sketch out a bunch of small ship thumbnails until you find some stuff you like. I usually end up sketching out like 20-30 ships before I catch on one I don't hate haha...

Magician

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: November 20, 2013, 12:50:41 PM »

It's not that I have troubles finding ideas, I have troubles implementing it properly, especially on a big scale. In the end tedious work overwhelms me and I feel burnt out. And the root of this, as I think, is that draw I very slowly and redo simple things that experienced painter will draw in a minute without mistakes. There are some tricks to make things easier like using 3d models (but for me its even harder) or different photoshop tools. But the thing is that I want to draw, not just make ships. Otherwise I probably would be satisfied with kitbashing or even using whole sprites from different sources.

But enoug of rambling, I want to show you sunny and humble multipurpose well-rounded Squall. She has more weapons than her sisters, they are less unique and powerfull, but she also has more adaptability to different situations on the battlefield.

Spoiler
[close]

Also quickly added shadows to previous.
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 01:04:38 PM by Magician »

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: November 20, 2013, 06:02:52 PM »

@Magician:  Those small ships are lovely pixel-art creations :)

@HELMUT:  I want to see a whole faction in that style, for sure.  I love the color scheme and the designs are solid :)

@Kazi:  I like that one a lot better than your previous ships; the treatment of light is considerably better.  There are areas where it's still indeterminately lit and a little bit of highlighting might really help, like what you did on the rear engine nacelles.

@Doogie:  Those blue areas look like they'd be really cool with some translucency and glow.  Right now they're feeling a little too solid, yet their overall feel suggests they're translucent :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Magician

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: November 20, 2013, 10:57:47 PM »

Thanks, xenoargh, I specifically try to draw these fighters with minimal use of tricky tools. While I still can't replicate true pixel art techniques, its still much more pixel artish than all my previous sprites.

I hope community will forgive me for spamming thread with chibi-spaceships. And the next of the many sisters is proud and energetic Koryu. True close combat fighter with only close-range hard-punching gravi-cannons. Probably in some rpg-like game she would be occupying puncher class.
Spoiler
[close]

Doogie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: November 21, 2013, 12:08:43 AM »

@Doogie:  Those blue areas look like they'd be really cool with some translucency and glow.  Right now they're feeling a little too solid, yet their overall feel suggests they're translucent :)
That's an unfortunate hazard of a white background. In the BSF file they were most definitely translucent and glowy, yet with my limited photoshop ability a lot of that was lost.

dmaiski

• Captain
  • resistance is futile
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: November 21, 2013, 04:07:03 AM »

the Mk. 1 Terror Drone Missile

armed to the teeth with machineguns, missiles, cannons, lightning guns, kitchen skinks, and a dwarf
and we fit all of this onto a missile based launcher, THE HORROR!
Spoiler
[close]

BISO
(WIP) lots of shiny new weapons ( :-[ i have more weapons then sprites :-[ )

i got a cat pad
its like a mouse pad but better!

Magician

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: November 21, 2013, 05:28:45 AM »

Dmaiski, Terror is terrifying in a good sense. I would definitely be scared if I face such assault from Aurora.

Doogie, you can try adding sprites directly to photoshop, without adding those sections in BSF shipmaker. Maybe there is another fix, but its my only guess now. Also I was tempted to quickly try something silly with your wings.
Spoiler
[close]
But I had tiring day, so at the end I was too lazy to add animation of wing skeleton (those thin metal pipes to which wings are attached). Originally I intended them to open like umbrella or fan.
Also if first version implies that lightning rush mode is a main mode of wings, I thought that version with lightnings being only minor, ending part of the animation would be good too.
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 05:43:16 AM by Magician »

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: November 21, 2013, 06:27:44 AM »

Absolutely fantastic Magician, cant wait for the day you release a mod. ;)

Anyway, its been awhile, tried to paint something myself for once instead of expecting someone else to do it, comparing it to the rest, im happy with it.

Spoiler

"See the eagle?....I do... x)"
[close]

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: November 21, 2013, 07:47:17 AM »

Spoiler
[close]

I think it looks better without the sunder nose ;)

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

dmaiski

• Captain
  • resistance is futile
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: November 21, 2013, 07:59:26 AM »

Spoiler
[close]

viva rhinoplasty!!!
it now has a cute button nose!
BISO
(WIP) lots of shiny new weapons ( :-[ i have more weapons then sprites :-[ )

i got a cat pad
its like a mouse pad but better!

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: November 22, 2013, 03:53:18 AM »

Spoiler
[close]

"It's not like I like you or anything baka!!" *Shoots the other ship and turns red*......

The new version valk did looks better ( showed on skype chat)

Heres linkz:

Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 482