Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Codex Overhaul (05/11/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Handling Remnant Ordos with High Tech  (Read 3024 times)

Hlillie

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Handling Remnant Ordos with High Tech
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2024, 11:31:34 AM »

Realistically, I find that after you've beaten the first two Ordos, everything else just becomes a PPT slog, and the actual fighting isn't challenging anymore as the enemy forces are shattered and just coming in piecemeal.
I found there are two different challenges when fighting that many Ordos: the primary threat is capital ships. Radiants and Novas will break your lines, if you don't handle them properly. Then there's the attrition from all the other ships, which is the easier part, but it can lead to defeat, if you rely on aggressive ships and leave them unattented.
I think you pointed a right thing.

Blase

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2024, 04:31:15 PM »

Throw in some phase ships.

Don't they all die to beam spam specifically, and are not very effective generally?

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2024, 04:50:53 PM »

Throw in some phase ships.

Don't they all die to beam spam specifically, and are not very effective generally?
Depends. Personally, I put Heavy Armour and Hardened Subsystems and then just use them as support units meant to reinforce typical High Tech spam of Shrikes, Furies and Auroras. Mostly Shrikes and Furies. Pulse Lasers, Heavy Blasters become far deadlier with Afflictor's system. And a properly positioned Shade can shut down a Cruiser, allowing for a Fury to outduel whatever is standing against it.

A mixture of EMP can also leave a ship exposed for a potent bomber strike performed by an Astral. But that advice more applies to fighting the Hegemony than Remnants. Or any other turtling fat faction for that matter, with the exception of plenty of LC ships armed with flak explosives systems.

The issue with putting Heavy Amour and Hardened Subsystems is that you sacrifice high flux stats and the Phase upgrade, losing mobility. Therefore instead of putting Antiparticle Revolver, I use Railguns instead. As their job isn't to kill their target, but not to die until support arrives. And if to kill... Both Shade and Afflictor can simply use their system to perform the job on lesser enemies.

Kohlenstoff

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2024, 06:31:42 PM »

The right answer to Remnants is Paragons. Either with endgame stuff or with 2 plasma cannons at front and 2 tachyon lances at side and 2 double barrel flak cannons and 2 phase lances (or 2 heavy blasters) at backside. Keep those close together, don't act inpatient and don't follow retreating enemies to deep into the swarm and the remnants are no problem.

Sinigr

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2024, 11:41:01 PM »

Here it is. High tech beating remnants...
"officerMaxLevel":29,
"officerAIMax":36,
"maxOfficersInAIFleet":36
"tier1StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier2StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier3StationOfficerLevel":29,
Try to hunt it! ;)
https://i.imgur.com/gXIAgGy.png

Nettle

• Admiral
  • making humorous maneuvers
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2024, 02:07:05 AM »

Monitor is a midline ship.

Sinigr

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2024, 02:12:19 AM »

Monitor is a midline ship.
well, and a little bit of monitors. No other options) But, you can drop them.

Or are you so boring that you will point out such minor inaccuracies?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 02:53:25 AM by Sinigr »
Try to hunt it! ;)

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2024, 02:54:09 AM »

Or are you so boring that you will point out so many minor inaccuracies?

No offence, but you're boring... All your videos are just you camping the enemy with super powerful broken ***. I understand that this is the only way to beat 10 Ordos at once, but the problem I have is that you self-advertise every time someone says the word "Remnant". It's like you have nothing to add to the conversation except coming in and saying "look, guys... I hold the Guinness World Record for the biggest NPC steamroll in Starsector". (upon further consideration this has only been my subjective feeling, as in reality it turns out no such activity was performed, and I am wrong here)

imo, one of things you're probably achieving very well is pointing out to new players how absurd and monotonous this game can be if you play it the wrong way. This isn't even High Tech. High Tech is about support abilities, bombing carriers, EMP, throwing missiles at enemy's face at melee range. Not using 30% damage debuff stacked multiplicatively with another damage debuff, stacked multiplicatively with another damage debuff... Stacked multiplicatively with another damage debuff and hard vent mechanic...

And sure, this does come from someone who has the world's shittiest builds, and world's shittiest fleets, and can fight Remnants only one Ordo at a time. But at least my gameplay looks way more enjoyable than whatever this is.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 01:52:36 PM by Killer of Fate »

Nettle

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2024, 02:55:53 AM »

It's not like I'm pointing out a random unpiloted Kite you had in an otherwise 99% HT fleet with a diverse pick of hulls. Monitors are the only other ship type you have present, and majority of your officers are focused there.

Sinigr

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2024, 03:05:55 AM »

No offence, but you're boring... All your videos are just you camping the enemy with super powerful broken ***. I understand that this is the only way to beat 10 Ordos at once, but the problem I have is that you self-advertise every time someone says the word "Remnant". It's like you have nothing to add to the conversation except coming in and saying "look, guys... I hold the Guinness World Record for the biggest NPC steamroll in Starsector".
Oh, this is just how it is. I tried different methods and they were all so-so. People have questions, I show how it is. Sad but true.
Try to hunt it! ;)

Sinigr

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2024, 03:06:49 AM »

No offence, but you're boring...
And, same you, just speak same each time, isn't it? :D
Try to hunt it! ;)

Sinigr

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2024, 03:11:33 AM »

It's not like I'm pointing out a random unpiloted Kite you had in an otherwise 99% HT fleet with a diverse pick of hulls. Monitors are the only other ship type you have present, and majority of your officers are focused there.
So there is nowhere else to put the officers. There is simply no other option. But okay, there was no need to emphasize the high-tech affiliation; perhaps the Paragon is the only high-tech ship that is worth attention. If the goal is to assemble a universal fleet that is cheap to maintain.

Try to hunt it! ;)

Sinigr

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2024, 03:23:11 AM »

imo, one of things you're probably achieving very well is pointing out to new players how absurd and boring this game can be if you play it the wrong way.

And sure, this does come from someone who has the world's shittiest builds, and world's shittiest fleets, and can fight Remnants only one Ordo at a time. But at least my gameplay looks way more enjoyable than whatever this is.
It seems to me how to die questions cannot arise if someone asks something, discusses it, probably to achieve some goal. For me, dying is not interesting, I’ve already died and I don’t see the point in even making videos like some others and my fleet was blown up, well blown up, the ship can’t do a damn thing in such and such conditions, well, it’s going to the warehouse, which means you’re saying it cheerfully , what's fun? Should I load up or gather the entire fleet again to die? Determined the best layout, killed everyone, beat the game, that's it. the balance will probably still be revised, using the simple example of ships designed for maneuverability, they simply do not have this maneuverability if we are talking about remnants, since they are faster and that’s all, which means maneuverable ships simply do not work and that’s all. Sad but true
Try to hunt it! ;)

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2024, 03:24:33 AM »

No offence, but you're boring...
And, same you, just speak same each time, isn't it? :D
this wasn't meant to turn into an unnecessary trade of insults.

Nettle

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2024, 03:27:23 AM »

So there is nowhere else to put the officers. There is simply no other option. But okay, there was no need to emphasize the high-tech affiliation; perhaps the Paragon is the only high-tech ship that is worth attention. If the goal is to assemble a universal fleet that is cheap to maintain.

Omen is exactly the same DP cost as Monitor. There are also plenty of other options to fill 60 DP with six officers using just the HT ships.
Unless you are saying this composition just doesn't work as well without the Monitors, and you are forced to use them, then yeah, calling it a HT fleet would be kind of misleading.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5