Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Codex Overhaul (05/11/24)

Author Topic: Mod-agnostic sector generation  (Read 1074 times)

Jaghaimo

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Mod-agnostic sector generation
« on: August 28, 2020, 03:08:28 AM »

Seed sharing is almost impossible these days as mod count affects the outcome of sector generation. Would it be possible to change the way seed affects the system generation by having a per system seed based on the global seed (naive implementation: Random("seed" + "systemName"))?

Desired outcome is: whatever the order of mods loaded, whatever the list of mods used, generated sector (random systems at least) has to end up the same for a given seed. If I am oversimplifying problem and it is much more complex than that - is there perhaps a middle ground to make the sector generation a bit less mod-dependant?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 03:10:29 AM by Jaghaimo »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Mod-agnostic sector generation
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 08:02:34 AM »

Hmm. Thinking about this, it doesn't seem possible. What happens to constellation placement, for example, if there's a new core star system? That'll affect the valid locations for a constellation and have knock-on effects that cascade through everything. Or, if a mod such as Unknown Skies adds new planet types etc - having additional options to choose from will influence the selection even if the RNG seed is the same. There are likely other things I'm not thinking about right now that would also muck it up.

I hear you as far as seeds being pretty useless when mods are involved, though...