Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 579281 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1035 on: November 22, 2015, 10:56:44 AM »

Gryphon looks like the kind of ship made to nova strike a fleet with Harpoons backed by max Missile Specialization.  Who cares if it costs too much?  If you need to win, send it out and wreck things.  One not enough, bring another!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: November 22, 2015, 12:08:40 PM »

Re: Gryphon: yeeeah, this is a problem. Will definitely do something about it.

Not sure about a cooldown; one issue there is that if it's not too long, then it could get pretty insane, with tons of missile spam. And I'm not a fan of super-long cooldowns.

Would being able to fire off the entire missile load every 30 seconds or so be OP? Kind of seems like it would, doesn't it? Might just have to try it and see.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: November 22, 2015, 12:35:47 PM »

I made a similar ship system in Seeker for the Clipper: it's a toggle system that reload the missiles progressively (like 2% of the max ammo per second) and lock every weapons in the meantime. Of course that's logical in this case because all it's weapons are missiles, even the PD. Anyway it work pretty well and don't seems overpowered.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 12:37:30 PM by Tartiflette »

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: November 22, 2015, 12:57:35 PM »

I'll be the first to admit that I don't understand how the economy works, but I think there might be something wrong with Volturn and its lobsters. It has 1% demand met, 97% not met, and 2% exported. There is exactly 1 lobster for sale on the market. If it's not eating them and not exporting them, then it must mean that it's not producing them as it's supposed to...?

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: November 22, 2015, 01:07:58 PM »

Grubers, Starsector was never intended to be an arcade shoot'em up where you just fly around blasting stuff with nothing else mattering.

I'm 100% sure there will be mods that can get you what you want, though.

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: November 22, 2015, 01:08:25 PM »

I finally saw a Phase Lance, but I haven't seen a single IR Pulse Laser in all my runs so far. :(

I just loaded up my own save to check (level 37), because I also don't remember seeing them.   Unfortunately it seems it might be my poor memory as I can see 2 available on the black market at Jangalar station.

EDIT: Just to clarify I meant IR Pulse Laser; but I was lucky enough to get one Phase Lance at the beginning to put on my wolf.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 01:10:35 PM by Baqar79 »

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: November 22, 2015, 01:14:16 PM »

haven't gotten to try the Gryphon myself yet, but those issues sound pretty serious ._.

having the ai abuse the system just to reload its small slots even while the larger ones are still almost full could be solved by scaling the system's cost (whatever that ends up being) based on how much stuff it actually ends up reloading, relative to total OP of that weapon.
for example, restoring all 3 missiles of a Harpoon 3-rack (100% of 4 OP) would cost four times as much as restoring a single Hammer (50% of 2 OP) and half as much as restoring 40 Squalls (40% of 20 OP). probably shouldn't be affected by the weapon OP cost reduction of the Optimized Assembly perk, though.

the problem of huge Reaper salvos could be partially solved by simply giving the single-shot Reapers a significant firing delay. it always felt weird that the "+1 missile weapon ammo" from the Autoloader Reprogramming perk basically doubles their damage rather than just giving you another shot to use later on, anyway.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: November 22, 2015, 01:15:39 PM »

Well, I managed to enforce a month-long blockhade of the Eos system.  Their economy went to absolute hell - all with me suffering just -12 in relations with the Luddic Church.  Supply rates skyrocketed, the cost of their food went down the toilet - it was all amusing by the end of it.  The only real repercussion I suffered was that I can't visit Tartarus for many cycles now - how nice.  The lightshow much have been pretty brutal. :D

I love this new transponder system, this was the real test. :)
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: November 22, 2015, 01:21:50 PM »

Once I get a Griffon and max Missile Specialization, I plan to load it with nothing but Harpoons (and maybe MIRVs), and spam them until everything is dead.  My biggest complaint about Harpoons (and Sabots) is not enough ammo, but Griffon fixes that somewhat at a cost to CR.  No way a lone ship can defend against a dozen or more max Missile Spec. Harpoons, unless the ship is built specifically to counter it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 01:23:53 PM by Megas »

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: November 22, 2015, 01:33:36 PM »

These relationship investigations are totally lol.

I've just been punted into hostile by both Sindria and the Ludds in a series of half a dozen investigations between them for carrying boxes with a Hegemony label on them.
Meanwhile Tri-Tach gives exactly zero ducks about anything. Not heard a peep from them.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: November 22, 2015, 01:56:04 PM »

Yea, I feel like the faction investigations have to be toned down when you've only got +25 relations with another faction.  That took a while to get to, only to be destroyed in an instant. :P The lower the faction rep is, the lower the faction rep impact the investigation will have if it passes would be nice.
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: November 22, 2015, 02:08:44 PM »

i like the investigations. was found guilty in a smuggling investigation by TT, but managed to avoid a conviction regarding my ties to Pirates by TT, Sindria and Hegemony (and there's a very happy Hegemony investigator now^^).

one thing was a bit weird, though: i had a smuggling investigation by Independents, despite being at Vengeful (-100 / 100) standing with them for a long time now. i suppose it makes sense if the investigation goes like "there has been a case of smuggling, we need to find out who it was" but not so much if it's more along the lines of "Captain Sy met some shady people, we need to find out if he did something illegal", seeing as how i'm already on their shoot-on-sight list anyway.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: November 22, 2015, 02:12:56 PM »

I plan to abuse the Black Market at enemy stations.  What do I care about the enemy's police when their military's job is to eliminate me by any means necessary?

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: November 22, 2015, 02:16:02 PM »

Not sure about a cooldown; one issue there is that if it's not too long, then it could get pretty insane, with tons of missile spam. And I'm not a fan of super-long cooldowns.

Would being able to fire off the entire missile load every 30 seconds or so be OP? Kind of seems like it would, doesn't it? Might just have to try it and see.

Yes, that seems OP. 90 or 120 seconds would seem more appropriate. Why are you not a fan of that? Seems simplest.

Another idea would be that the system reloads only one missile rack at the time. Say always the one with the lowest remaining ammo percentage, and if that's identical the bigger sized weapon first. The rack is out of order until reloaded, which takes something like 15/20/30 seconds, depending on size (saying 15s since small racks are disproportionately dangerous because of their alpha strike capability). Also, continuous flux costs when the system is active.
That way you could pull back and completely reload everything, but that would take two minutes. You can also stay in the fight with an always slightly reduced missile capacity and reduced effective flux dissipation. Seems like an interesting tactical choice. For the AI that's something were officer personality could come into play, I guess.

I made a similar ship system in Seeker for the Clipper: it's a toggle system that reload the missiles progressively (like 2% of the max ammo per second) and lock every weapons in the meantime. Of course that's logical in this case because all it's weapons are missiles, even the PD. Anyway it work pretty well and don't seems overpowered.

I liked that system, but IIRC the missiles were built in? I'd imagine it would be difficult to transfer to a ship with variable missiles, since those have widely varying ammo counts/relevance that can't be easily abstracted. It would probably end up strongly favoring one certain type of missile. Think e.g. about single shot reapers, when would they be reloaded, early or late after system activation?

@ Soldier: That sounds like fun, I'm gonna try a blockade too ;D How many supplies did you pack?
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: November 22, 2015, 02:33:54 PM »

@Gothars
Packed about 800 supplies along with a couple of freighter (having flight decks if possible), since I HAVE to repair my ships in between battle as there isn't a convenient station nearby.  After the initial patrols flow in from the outskirts of the system (which takes about 2 weeks), all the excitement gets turned to convoy and mercantile raiding, which earned you massive amounts of loot if you manage to wipe out the entire fleet.*  Win-win for you - tons of experience and massive battles (if your fleet can handle having 2 or 3 patrols gang up on you) and then the loot starts flowing in.  I actually had to start chucking all the metal I had for a Supplies convoy that I'd plundered.

*It's nearly impossible to wipe out entire Mercantile Fleets, though - those Hermes are faster than everything you can get and escape far ahead of even the fastest fighters, like Thunders.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 90