Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Variants', Hulls' and Skins' values  (Read 1750 times)

TheOverWhelming

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Variants', Hulls' and Skins' values
« on: November 26, 2014, 03:46:32 AM »

I see that, having been looking through some files, that there are values that are in some mods and not in others.

One in particular I noticed is that variants have a section called hullMods and generally look like either of the following
Code
    "hullMods": [],
From paragon:
Code
    "hullMods": [
        "stabilizedshieldemitter",
        "targetingunit",
        "hardenedshieldemitter"
    ],

Yet, on tempest_Balanced.variant has a different section (and neither of the above)
Code
"mods":[], # array of strings

Whats the difference?  I've noticed the same kind of stuff in several .ship files but nothing too broad.  I don't even know if "mods" means hullMods or weaponMods or both or what.
Is there a list of values associated with each type of file?  I've been messing around with an idea the past few weeks (during my freetime) and it involves reading all these files.

Thanks
Will respond when I can, thanksgiving and all

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
Re: Variants', Hulls' and Skins' values
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 04:57:06 AM »

This shows if the variant has any hullmods installed or not on its varaint, the bottom one is simply a comment.

the paragon has hullmods by default. the tempest dosn't.

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
Re: Variants', Hulls' and Skins' values
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 06:47:36 AM »

"mods": [], is an old representation of hull mods list. I don`t know if it can still be used by the game if you put any hull mods in it, but I assume that these will be just ignored.

"hullMods": [], is what is used now by default by dev version variant editor, so it is safe to assume that it will be used always.

If you wish to figure out what is used in variants files - open the game in dev mod and resave any of the variants. It will be saved to starsector.res/ folder on your disk. Open it and look at its contains.

As for the skins - use the vanilla examples to see what they may contain.

Hulls can contain built in hull mods and built in weapons. To check these I recommend you to open Trylobot`s editor and add some mods/weapons to the ship. It will save the hull file containing all the required fields with almost 100% precision to vanilla (only value field positioning will differ slightly).