Fractal Softworks Forum
April 20, 2018, 09:27:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New blog post: Minefields (03/25/18); The Circle Can’t Be Trusted: Drawing Battlestations (03/14/18); Starsector 0.8.1a is out!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Important!] Modded System Requirements  (Read 140014 times)
primalpara
Ensign

View Profile Email
« Reply #345 on: February 27, 2018, 06:49:11 AM »

Hi folks, silly question, having the memory issues have tried to adjust the memory as I like throwing on a ton of mods but having a problem with what I should use to open and save the vmparams file as.  It only shows up as  file for me and has no extension I can see.  I am using windows 10.  If someone could tell me what format to save it in I would appreciate it a lot.
Thanks in advance Grin

It's just a text file without an extension.  File extensions are purely aesthetic and don't affect how the file works; make sure that when you edit the file, it doesn't get renamed to "vmparams.txt", which will break it.

Can anyone help me?

I edited the vmparams file to allocate 6gb of ram (I have 16gb total and am using a lot of mods), however I can't figure out how to not save this as a .txt file. I've tried using notepad and wordpad but both want to rename the file. Also, I get an error that I can not save into the directory. But I am using my admin account and don't have StarSector running when saving the file.

- Is there another program I should use to edit and save the vmparams file without an extension; and
- What am I doing incorrectly to cause this to not have permission to save in the starsector folder?

Thanks for your time.

I am loving using mods, it opens the game way up from vanilla. I've been playing vanilla off and on since 2013, but mods have me hooked now.
Midnight Kitsune
Admiral

Your Friendly Forum Friend

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 27, 2018, 07:05:52 AM »

Try this: Open it in notepad, do the changes then just hit control s to save. If that doesn't do it, I'll change mine and send it to you

Stop trying to balance the game around a few minmaxers...
Programming is like sex:
One mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life.

Tired of having your game crash because of out of date mods? Then click here!
Get Version Checker today! Now with 90% less hassle! Simply toss it into your mod folder, activate the mod like a normal one and BINGO you will now be informed of any and all updates when you start SS campaign up!
primalpara
Ensign

View Profile Email
« Reply #347 on: February 27, 2018, 11:55:33 AM »

It still forces .txt save, even when selecting a . extension. If you could, that would be appreciated. My email is listed under my profile, thanks.

Update: 1 - Seems right click then rename allowed me to remove the extension so the file could be read.
             2 - And saving the file to another location then moving it back into the starsector folder allowed me to put the updated file in that directory.

Thanks everyone.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 12:01:28 PM by primalpara » Logged
Blothorn
Ensign

View Profile Email
« Reply #348 on: February 27, 2018, 11:59:45 AM »

Hm. The next resort is to ensure "show all file extensions" is turned on and rename the file to remove the extension (ignoring the dire warnings about changing extensions).
primalpara
Ensign

View Profile Email
« Reply #349 on: February 27, 2018, 12:01:57 PM »

That did the trick, thanks.
fusedtanker
Ensign

View Profile Email
« Reply #350 on: April 13, 2018, 07:43:41 PM »

Hello,

For some reason starsector is in 32bit still and apparently its supposed to be in 64bit by default? I have a 64bit OS and have java 8. I tried using java 7 for starsector and switching the jre folders manually bit still no change please help
thanks
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]
  Print  

Jump to: