Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Boarding quick-fix and angry rant  (Read 2675 times)

Camael

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Boarding quick-fix and angry rant
« on: November 15, 2013, 07:30:20 AM »

Greetings.

I would have a request till the next version is out - could someone who knows please tell me where in the interaction plugins the probability for a "chance" to board is hidden?
I need this to remove the "chance" to board something from my early games. It's unfeasible anyway, the risk is too great and the cost in marines (seriously, how much can these guys eat to require these amounts of supplies?) is prohibitive until You 'got nothing better to do anyway.

Why I really want it out is the problem of disabled ships running off (okay, fixed in next version) and, if You just decide to shoot them down the loot just goes boom. It's an issue in vanilla and all of the larger mods I tried. Having a "chance" at boarding means I lose almost all loot for a won combat I invested super-expensive supplies to fight. I hate it. Please make it stop. And till You do, please tell me how to get rid of it. Early game, four combats in a row the ******* boarding troll made my salvage worthless and I got stranded with no cash and no supplies. Great.

As a final note - please change that as well. Have not seen it in the patch-notes, but stop the chance to board from eating my salvage. Or at least give me an emp or poison-gas or purple-pingpong radiation option to kill the crew and get full loot if I have the right weapons loadout.

Uh. Still. Awesome game. Love it. Just hate the boarding system since 6.*. Really. Hate it. Please kill it. (this is the rant part.) Kill it! 

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Boarding quick-fix and angry rant
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 08:01:53 AM »

"Raise hand"

Same here, random factor would fit in a game entirely based on dice rolls like FTL but not Starsector. It's incredibly frustrating to fight a long, hard battle to see the main enemy ship fly away or self destruct at the end of the battle. I know boarding is supposed to be difficult for the attacker and i approve it. However, no matter how difficult it is, it need to be fair. If it's not fair, it's not hard but it's frustrating.

Other than this, i was about to respond to Camael that there is already a thread for this and stuffs about boarding should be posted there... Yet i'm not able to find it myself, has it been closed or something?

Camael

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 09:04:47 AM »

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=7207.0

This is the thread You probably meant, it's in the suggestions subforum. Because it is a suggestion. This here is a request for info, so I can fix this issue myself.
I think the balance-wise suggestions have all been made, and can be summed up as:

Make it difficult but more predictable

Stop boarding from interfering with the rest of the game.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 05:16:17 PM »

Well if you don't mind losing the chance to board a ship completely (IE you will NEVER get the chance to board one) one thing you could do is set the boarding chance modifier in the setting.json file (located here: ...\Starsector\starsector-core\data\config\settings.json) to zero. You can also set ow much the marines use in supplies here as well.

And I agree with you on boarding. I hate how we went from being able to pick and choose from a small group of ships that would grow with the size of the fleet after a single roll of a d20 for each ship to several rolls that many times can lead to you being crippled ESPCIALLY with CR now
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Camael

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 01:31:33 PM »

That is exactly what I was asking for... now, it's in the settings.json...  - where? Can't find it. Or is it base repair chance applied to enemy fleets?

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 04:54:05 PM »

correct, it is the base repair chance. this also means your ships will never be savable after being disabled