Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shamelessly *** out my Eve Online buddy invite.  (Read 8207 times)

weed33

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Shamelessly *** out my Eve Online buddy invite.
« on: February 04, 2013, 09:15:48 AM »

Pretty much as the title says, I'd recommend Eve Online only for the minority of people to be totally honest, it's a pretty niche game but also a game I've had more enjoyment with than any other. But still it's a game you won't know if you'll like it till you try it and it sure as hell doesn't hurt to try it out.

In case you didn't know Eve Online is a sandbox MMO set in a sci-fi universe, there are a few things that make it different from your average MMO:

No instancing and no sharding, this means that in theory that you could have everyone in the same system simultaneously.

Also worth pointing out that Eve is a PvP game, PvP is always on and the only thing that's going to protect you is the security status of the system you're in, in high security space you are protected by concord, if a player shoots at you in high security space concord will turn up within 5-15 seconds and kill your attacker. Note: this does not neccessarily mean that you will survive, just that they won't be leaving with their ship intact.

Eve is 100% persistant and player driven.  Every ship you see flying around and every ship you buy on the market was built, found or produced in some way by a real player. In fact the vast majority of anything you find in the game was made by players, in null-sec (zero security space) very little is predefined, massive alliances of thousands of players build space stations, control sovereignty over hundreds of solar systems and go to war with other alliances in huge 2000 player fights. The other side to this persistence is that when you lose something it's gone, there's no respawning ships or modules, they're gone for good.This makes the stakes in these fights especially high with trillions of ISK (the currency) on the line.

If you got 20 minutes free I recommend you watch this video of a rather epic fight that occurred less than a week ago iirc, with over 10 trillion isk fielded and over 700 billion isk destroyed over a single titan pilot misclicking (the leviathan they're talking about) and getting himself in a bad position  the term "well that escalated quickly comes to mind" the losses would have been much higher had this fight been in null-sec but due to various mechanics that are limited in low security space where this took place a lot of people were able to narrowly escape. Once everyone starts arriving it just becomes a giant ***, a pretty cool *** though, most fights tend to be more organised than this one.

Just be warned, the learning curve is pretty infamous, this image pretty much sums it up http://cdn1.eveonline.com/community/devblog/2011/eve-learning-curve.jpg

So if you do feel like giving it a go I'd really appreciate it if you used my link: https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=b463d987-9df9-48e6-a943-ae854e092133&action=buddy
EDIT: forgot to mention, using a buddy invite like this you get your free trial extended to 21 days instead of 14.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 09:33:48 AM by weed33 »

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
Re: Shamelessly *** out my Eve Online buddy invite.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 05:54:13 PM »

This is a tiny bit off topic, but your picture reminds me quite a bit of this picture:
Spoiler
[close]

As for Eve itself, I'm not sure that I would like it all that much, due to my dislike of grinding in most games.

weed33

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 02:34:48 AM »

Lol, never knew that existed, all I know is a dev reposted that image related to eve in a dev blog once because he thought it was kinda funny, don't know which came first but that doesn't really matter. And yeah, Eve does have a fair bit of grinding, it doesn't bother me too much, in a way it kind of adds to the tension when you get in a fight, losing a fight actually matters. But as I said, it's not for everyone, Generally speaking I would recommend people try it out though, for the kind of people who would enjoy it it is one of the best games out there.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 11:57:43 AM »

From my experience, EVE is more fun to read about than to play, especially all the null-sec political shenanigans. To have real fun in that game requires serious time commitments. Unless you have good time management skills or a lot of free time, I wouldn't recommend it. That said, it offers a really unique experience you can't find anywhere else, and it can't hurt to give it a shot.

Radradrobot

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 03:27:55 PM »

This is a tiny bit off topic, but your picture reminds me quite a bit of this picture:
Spoiler
[close]

As for Eve itself, I'm not sure that I would like it all that much, due to my dislike of grinding in most games.

Indeed, this is an actual representation of those games.  The most rewarding is Dwarf Fortress, it is in black do to it's unforgiving and terrible nature to make you love it then make you angered due to many terrible, yet fun, beginnings, middles, and ends.  Stupid four Saltwater Crocodiles right at my spawn!  Wishing I had my brown pants on when I started that game ;)

Also, Eve rocks my face off.

Andy H.K.

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 07:47:41 AM »

Alright I'm in, let's see how far I can go...

I will get a feel for the game tonight. Since I have other projects going on I may not be quite active.

dogboy123

• Captain
  • Boron military barracuda
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 08:15:58 AM »

Even if I could run it, it's games like these where I move an inch and get killed by a decked-out player. lol
"I'm expecting an all-out tactical dogfight... followed by a light dinner.

FloW

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 08:26:28 AM »

Even if I could run it, it's games like these where I move an inch and get killed by a decked-out player. lol
Only if your loss would be higher than the other player's.

So stick to a cheap ship, stay away from lowsec (< 0.4 iirc) and you should be fine.
"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later.''
- Ford Prefect, creator of the giraffe; a very long time ago

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 11:27:21 AM »

Alright I'm in, let's see how far I can go...

I will get a feel for the game tonight. Since I have other projects going on I may not be quite active.

If you need ship fitting advice, I can probably help you out. Just be sure to include which race's ships you fly, the largest class of ship you can fly, which weapons you prefer to use, and what role you're fitting it for. If you want to mess around with different fits yourself, check out this: http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/EVE_Fitting_Tool_(Out_of_Game_Tools).

Only if your loss would be higher than the other player's.

So stick to a cheap ship, stay away from lowsec (< 0.4 iirc) and you should be fine.

Yup, first rule of EVE: don't fly what you can't afford to lose.

Aethelric

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 04:12:50 PM »

Also, make friends and do your research on EVERYTHING you do.

EVE is a lot easier these days than it used to be; if you're just starting in 2013, the beginning is difficult but not impossible. I started a couple years ago, and honestly the game is fairly straightforward. If you join E-Uni (EVE University), you'll get free ships, skills and great advice to get yourself started properly.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 08:25:59 PM »

Going through an in game university to know how to play the game?

Sounds legit.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"