Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do not understand combat speeds  (Read 2626 times)

MindsEye

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Do not understand combat speeds
« on: February 23, 2013, 08:58:30 AM »

Am I missing something.I go into combat and check our speeds.I have a 120+30 and he has a 117+3.I cannot control the pace of the battle at all.He can keep up with me no matter what I do(with flux).

Chancellor Meatsteak

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Do not understand combat speeds
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 09:11:45 AM »

Your combat speed is 120 and his is 117, making him only slightly slower. The (+30) and (+3) are the bonuses, but they are already factored into your speed, meaning that before the bonuses your combat speed was 90 and his was 114.

Basically the stats are:

Combat Speed:  Your actual speed (the amount of bonus speed it took to achieve that).

MindsEye

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 10:01:48 AM »

Ah thats what I was missing.Prob should have caught that but was a bit frustrated cause I died in iron mode.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 10:04:13 AM by MindsEye »

MindsEye

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 10:18:13 AM »

Somethin weird. I just had a ship speed 77 catch up to my ship 81 while I was trying to retreat.....and kill me in Iron mode.....again :-[

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 11:03:56 AM »

Did you consider the 0-flux bonus of 75 50? If your enemy had no flux but you had your shields up or something, that would explain it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 11:44:47 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Chancellor Meatsteak

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 11:08:09 AM »

If a ship has zero flux and their shields off they get a +50 speed boost (+75 with a skill-perk, but the AI doesn't have that), this is probably how it caught up to you.

It should be noted that if you use a speed boost (zero flux or maneuvering jets) to go over your normal max speed but then lose the bonus you will not slow down unless you try to use your engines, in that sense the 'combat speed' of a vessel is not how fast it can go but the maximum speed it can accelerate to. Therefore, you can use the zero flux boost and then 'coast' towards your destination with your shields up and weapons firing, as long as you don't bump into something or have to change directions you will be going as fast as you would be if you were using the zero flux boost even though you aren't at zero flux.

MindsEye

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 12:15:53 PM »

Its possible I think it was only firing missiles until it caught up.By then was too late.Iron mode is much more difficult.Everytime I get somewhere I get snapped back to a crappy shuttle or somethin. Learning about retreating too.If you have a fleet and just deploy and retreat one ship the rest get disabled >:(.Mega uncool.There should be a warning before this happens or an option to deploy the rest of your fleet.Also sometimes I can retreat and others I have to go all the way across the map?

Too bad the game doesnt detect your strength and spawn more fleets that you can fight because it takes a long time to crawl your way back up.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 12:28:30 PM »

I have reason to believe that the retreat system will get a major overhaul with the next release, its pretty messy atm. Until then: if you encounter an enemy fleet that is superior to you do NOT choose the retreat option. Instead choose attack or defend, deploy your fleet and immediately give them retreat orders. Its much safer that way.

Also, it might be a good idea to store a backup frigate in the abandoned station to fall back to if your fleet gets wiped out.

MindsEye

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 02:51:42 PM »

Nice any details yet?

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 03:04:28 PM »

No :)