Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: couple of newbie questions plus preordered in faith so you devs keep deving  (Read 5649 times)

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
Re: couple of newbie questions plus preordered in faith so you devs keep deving
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 01:07:08 PM »

Before the character update I found that you could tank am onslaught with the vigilance. I feel it's a good ship verus destroyers ( I use reaper and or pulse laser) on it. Generally with practice you can kill destroyers with it. It's kinda up to you on which ship you want but I prefer the wolf class frigate (can be found in pirate station?.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 03:22:10 PM »

Before the character update I found that you could tank am onslaught with the vigilance. I feel it's a good ship verus destroyers ( I use reaper and or pulse laser) on it. Generally with practice you can kill destroyers with it. It's kinda up to you on which ship you want but I prefer the wolf class frigate (can be found in pirate station?.

the vigilance like most ships just needs the right load out and a bit of practice to work well the two medium slots can certainly bring a lot of firepower to early game fights, equip it with a phase beam or a graviton beam and those silly hounds won't dare come near you and you can equip a salamander or a swarmer to annihilate fighters/bombers that they so often show up with salamanders are really good hunter killers for fighters because they turn faster than any other missile except maybe the swarmer which they out range by a lot and if it does hit and doesn't kill the enemy fighter/bomber there's a good chance it no longer has engines and will just fly away regardless of what the rest of it's wing wants to do, and if you put a salamander pod on there you can get some good firepower. once you work out aiming, switching to an annihilator pod may prove to be prudent as it's constant missile fire can prove extremely lethal when aimed properly . and once you have a few other ships you could swap it for a Pilum for long range support which would go well with another support weapon like say a beam weapon OR give it a harpoon pod and a heavy blaster giving it some serious striking ability  the long range support loadout with the beam and Pilum would work well being controlled by the AI as a support ship just don't let it wander in front of say a hammerhead or something even bigger. it will just fall apart if its alone and outgunned.

The wolf frigate can rarely be found in the pirate station and more commonly at the TT station or marauding around the map with neutral and TT fleets.

mmm those tac lasers....
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

foxfire29

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 05:38:47 PM »

Nice :), appreciate the background on the devs and the offer of support.

Regarding forums in general I was always of the belief they would be much better if users had no say ie, youve double posted or being onboxious , rather let an Admin deal with it and everyones happy because theres nothing more patronizing to me than having some 13 year old child get trvial with me on forum netiquette when Im over 30 lol. I have found in the last couple of years at least admins and site owners are getting wise to that though and its a pleasure to come on a properly run forum, there was a time I thought forums were going down hill but I seem to have better luck the last few years .

Anyways I genuinly look forward to seing this game and the forums develop, it will be sweet when we can blow up stations/mine and stuff. Also have done some programming myself well actually a fair but and not so much in the gaming field other than roguelike development (I know thats not near the ability of the devs developing this and I wouldnt insult them by impying that) and even looking at what they have created thus far the DEV competence is apparent, basically runs great/good optimization and good UI combat mechanics

Gl with the game and the forums! And thanks for the welcome all!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 05:40:19 PM by foxfire29 »

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 02:25:03 PM »

Check out the Fleet Control Mod by Verrius, it supposedly adds Industry skills and some cool stuff. I haven't actually tried the version for this Starfarer build, but I'm sure it's awesome.
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=3758.0
Pages: 1 [2]