Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 710

Author Topic: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread  (Read 1728575 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread
« Reply #4080 on: December 10, 2018, 01:52:27 PM »

So I just made a proper build from my current dev version, and when installed, that also runs the mod ok.

Which probably means there's a difference in how it's loading stuff, between the dev environment and the "proper' install. This would sort of explain the "double weapon mounts" issue, potentially, but it's ... weird. Going to investigate further; maybe it's strictly TC-related.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: December 10, 2018, 03:29:57 PM »

So I just made a proper build from my current dev version, and when installed, that also runs the mod ok.

Which probably means there's a difference in how it's loading stuff, between the dev environment and the "proper' install. This would sort of explain the "double weapon mounts" issue, potentially, but it's ... weird. Going to investigate further; maybe it's strictly TC-related.

My best educated guess is that the replace array simply was never intended to read those file types and is not actually replacing the vanilla files as intended. If what you say has changed will cause both files to be read and somehow conflict merged- (I feel like that would be incredibly hard to get right in every scenario so I'm glad an opt out was intended for TCs) -then the issue is probably setting up whatever code handles the replace array to handle all files.

I know the replace array works in general because skin and csv files are still replaced as intended.

*Edit* So, yes mostly TC related because most mods to my knowledge only edit existing variants and usually don't intend to fully replace them. (There are a lot of mods though, so maybe this just hasn't been caught until now)

Another possible cause could be changes to the .ship object that are not included in ship files, but that is suspect as well because non-vanilla mod ships are read and loaded correctly in the game's engine.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 03:31:34 PM by Morrokain »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: December 10, 2018, 04:20:01 PM »

Alright, I think I've got this sorted, at least partially. For... reasons... what was happening was the ship variant (and other files) was getting loaded, using the proper merge/replace logic. Then it was getting loaded again, but in a way that made it not find the modded override version - this provided the variant with the correct id, making the game not crash.

... so now, both the installed version and the dev environment version properly crash when trying to run the game with the mod :) Which means I haven't been able to verify whether this also fixes the multiple-weapon slot weirdness.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: December 10, 2018, 05:09:01 PM »

Alright, I think I've got this sorted, at least partially. For... reasons... what was happening was the ship variant (and other files) was getting loaded, using the proper merge/replace logic. Then it was getting loaded again, but in a way that made it not find the modded override version - this provided the variant with the correct id, making the game not crash.

... so now, both the installed version and the dev environment version properly crash when trying to run the game with the mod :) Which means I haven't been able to verify whether this also fixes the multiple-weapon slot weirdness.

Thanks for the update! Anything I can do on my end, for now?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: December 10, 2018, 05:20:05 PM »

If you could get me a mini-mod that 1) doesn't crash on my end and 2) reproduces the "duplicate weapon slots" etc issues on your end, that would be super!

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: December 10, 2018, 06:37:50 PM »

Is there a way to hide a weapon in the codex like for ships? I tried the Hint (leading to crash) and Tag fields (no changes)?
Many thanks!

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: December 10, 2018, 06:39:20 PM »

If you could get me a mini-mod that 1) doesn't crash on my end and 2) reproduces the "duplicate weapon slots" etc issues on your end, that would be super!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x4e2o82j21b3dpk/AAB58nMhE8qpmSPJi0UUC6C8a?dl=0

There you go!

Just look at the Odyssey Balanced variant. It is the only thing this mod attempts to edit. It is doubling weapon slots (look at the synergy slots seemingly on top of medium energy slots) and the vanilla variant is merged with the mod variant despite both files (variant and ship) being present, along with their file paths, in the replace array.

The ship_data.csv file is also being replaced, but this happens successfully. Notice that the Odyssey has 1 hullpoint, 1 armor strength, 1 max flux, 1 flux dissipation and 1000 ordinance points in addition to another flight bay.

I hope this helps narrow things down. :)

*Edit* now links to a mod folder instead of just the files.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 06:42:13 PM by Morrokain »

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: December 10, 2018, 06:46:41 PM »

Is there a way to hide a weapon in the codex like for ships? I tried the Hint (leading to crash) and Tag fields (no changes)?
Many thanks!

I think adding the SYSTEM *hint does that.

As a side note that doesn't apply for your situation currently, if you want it to show in the codex despite being a system (therefore not dropping off ships as loot) you can also add the SHOW_IN_CODEX hint.

*Edit* It is a hint, not a tag, sorry for the confusion.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 06:48:57 PM by Morrokain »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: December 10, 2018, 10:17:18 PM »

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x4e2o82j21b3dpk/AAB58nMhE8qpmSPJi0UUC6C8a?dl=0

There you go!

Just look at the Odyssey Balanced variant. It is the only thing this mod attempts to edit. It is doubling weapon slots (look at the synergy slots seemingly on top of medium energy slots) and the vanilla variant is merged with the mod variant despite both files (variant and ship) being present, along with their file paths, in the replace array.

Thank you! I've reproduced the error on my end, will investigate tomorrow.

(Nice error mod name, btw :D)

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: December 11, 2018, 10:23:48 AM »

Thank you! I've reproduced the error on my end, will investigate tomorrow.

(Nice error mod name, btw :D)

Haha very original I know... :P

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: December 11, 2018, 07:23:48 PM »

Alright, got this fixed! There was an issue with the way it was checking for overrides - if the path used \, it would work (at least, I think), but if it used /, it would fail. Now either one should work. Thank you for putting together the minimod, that really helped.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: December 11, 2018, 09:00:02 PM »

Alright, got this fixed! There was an issue with the way it was checking for overrides - if the path used \, it would work (at least, I think), but if it used /, it would fail. Now either one should work. Thank you for putting together the minimod, that really helped.

Awesome! And not a problem I'm happy to help.  :)

Any possible way this could be a hotfix rather than a whole update before I can release my mod? Or do you think I can release it with this update if I switch that directory delimiter?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: December 11, 2018, 09:08:08 PM »

Any possible way this could be a hotfix rather than a whole update before I can release my mod? Or do you think I can release it with this update if I switch that directory delimiter?

Pretty much no way as far as a hotfix, but, yeah, I think if you switch the delimiter it would probably work. But it would probably/possibly only work on windows. I'm actually not sure how this hasn't come up before.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: December 11, 2018, 09:20:58 PM »

Pretty much no way as far as a hotfix, but, yeah, I think if you switch the delimiter it would probably work. But it would probably/possibly only work on windows. I'm actually not sure how this hasn't come up before.

Nope, it won't even read the mod when I change it. *Edit* I'm on windows, too.

So, are you essentially saying this won't be fixed until 1.0? Or are you planning a smaller update cycle?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: December 11, 2018, 09:24:18 PM »

Nope, it won't even read the mod when I change it. *Edit* I'm on windows, too.

\ is an escape character, try \\ for each one instead.

Just tried this:
"data\\hulls\\odyssey.ship",

and it seems to work.

So, are you essentially saying this won't be fixed until 1.0? Or are you planning a smaller update cycle?

Oh, no no no. The next release will be 0.9.1a, with a *bunch* of bugfixes, balance tweaks, and so on. And there'll almost certainly be at least one (possibly more) release between *that* and 1.0.
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 710