Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: re-pricing phase ships?  (Read 1983 times)

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
re-pricing phase ships?
« on: August 18, 2012, 05:56:25 PM »

Is it just me or do phase ships cost a fortune for what they do?

My gripe is mainly with the Doom class (4 medium slots and 6 small slots for 20 fp? there are capital ships that cost less) but the frigs can use a bit of a buff too...

is it just me not knowing how to use them? or does anyone else think they're underpowered? (From what I've seen, it doesn't look like the AI use them very well either.....)
mmm.... tartiflette

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
Re: re-pricing phase ships?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 08:33:10 PM »

I've seen them do ridiculous things. I really like them.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 08:35:43 PM »

I'm a huge fan of the frigates, especially in a pitched battle. I'm not very good with the cruiser though... never really used it that effectively.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »

Its hard to use. But all of them are reasonably fast, and the universal mounts are fun. You can fairly effectively use a ridiculous number of amblasters on any of them.  :D
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 08:51:58 PM »

ya... but is a doom really worth an onslaught in tactical prowess?

it can't point-cap
flanking and striking power are limited due to speed (compared to the phase frigs)
firepower is far lower than onslaught
as is defensive power
mmm.... tartiflette

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 01:21:10 AM »

Main doom cruiser weakness is size. It cant possible destroy all missiles and fighters with PD and size prohibit him from effectively evade missiles by phasing. Doom spends critical amount of flux until missiles fly over hull. PD not really enough against 2-3 pilum launchers and then doom phases out to evade missiles its game over for him in the long run.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 08:42:07 AM »

I've found the Doom cruiser is quite effective, but not effective enough to justify its FP cost. I'd rather have an Aurora or Apogee, since they use less FP, cost less (I think), can take on a wider variety of ship types, are generally more survivable, and have more cargo space. As for the phase frigates, they're just too fragile and easily countered by most high- and mid-tech ships, while being less generally effective than other frigates for their FP cost. I'd rather bring a Tempest or Omen than either of them.

I feel the Doom needs an increase in armor and OP to justify its FP costs, or a reduction in FP to 16 or so (also, I don't really like Fast Missile Racks on the Doom, but that's probably personal preference). As for the frigates, they could use some combination of the following: additional armor, a medium energy slot (probably to replace one of their current slots), additional OP, or reduced phase upkeep.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 08:44:09 AM by naufrago »