Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Medusa quirks  (Read 2374 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Medusa quirks
« on: August 07, 2012, 04:23:05 PM »

[Edit] I totally put this in the wrong place. Could a mod move it? My bad!

These are two small bits of behavior that can be easily seen on a Medusa, but are probably universal in some way:

1) Bomb(er)s steal the shield facing. Fight both a hound and a piranha wing in the simulator, letting the AI fly. If they flank (they usually do for me) the AI will almost always point its shield at incoming bombs or the bombers - even in the situation that it is many seconds (5+) till impact (or that the bombers are not even firing) and the Hound is firing directly into the Medusa's unshielded armor.

2) 'Phase coasting' The AI will use the phase skimmer to speed up while flying at 0 flux - but will not coast during/right after the skim. The net effect is a surge forward followed by a significant bit of time spent at base speed before accelerating again. This also happens on a wolf.

Variant I used to test: 2 lmg's in front universals, 2 pulse lasers, 2 AM blasters in forward turrets. Hard shields and flux capacitors, 20 vents, 10 capacitors.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 05:53:53 PM by Alex »

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
Re: Medusa quirks
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 09:31:46 AM »

I'm pretty sure the Hound's primary weapon is an auto cannon.
Thats kinetic damage so it won't do much in the way of 'harm' to your armor or hull.
Bombs on the other hand deal HE damage and will end you just as fast as any torpedo could, therefore the A.I. prioritises them over the auto cannon.
Better to patch up a few bullet holes than have to rebuild the whole damn ship.
Its not exactly a quirk, as all ships will take the cannon rounds over eating a fistful bombs in any practically situation.
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 09:54:28 AM »

Thats kinetic damage so it won't do much in the way of 'harm' to your armor or hull.
Bombs on the other hand deal HE damage and will end you just as fast as any torpedo could, therefore the A.I. prioritises them over the auto cannon.
Its not exactly a quirk, as all ships will take the cannon rounds over eating a fistful bombs in any practically situation.
As far as I remember, Hound's primary weapon is Assault Chaingun, which does HE damage. Which tears your armor rather quickly, unless you happen to sit in an Enforcer.

More on topic - the issue is not about bombs being prioritised as a bigger danger over the cannon, but about them being prioritised too early, often before they are deployed at all.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 10:15:42 AM »

As far as I remember, Hound's primary weapon is Assault Chaingun, which does HE damage. Which tears your armor rather quickly, unless you happen to sit in an Enforcer.

More on topic - the issue is not about bombs being prioritised as a bigger danger over the cannon, but about them being prioritised too early, often before they are deployed at all.

Ah! I see.
Thank you for clarifying.

Perhaps this thread will get a bit more attention in the future.
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.