Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 5 Steps in how to beat the Hegemony Defense Fleet with minimal loses.  (Read 7713 times)

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile

1. farm stuff for hours after you have gather a reasonably powerful fleet and sell everything you capture in the Hegemony station.
2. Buy every single ship you can have captured, you don't need to fit them, the accident meter will go ballistic but that doesn't matter.
3. make sure you have around 400-500+ fleet points.
4. Instantly engage the H.D.F in an auto battle.
5. They will try to escape simply because your fleet is so ridiculously huge, use attack strategy.
Enjoy! =D

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Steps in how to beat the Hegemony Defense Fleet with minimal loses.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 07:24:42 AM »

It could be done before without going over the 150 FP cap. I wouldn't be surprised if it still could.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 07:27:31 AM »

You can win against them, now, using a lot of frigates and some focused practice, as well as a strategy.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 07:41:28 AM »

I know you can win against them like that =I they aren't unbeatable, but they are the largest fleet in the system and just about impossible to auto battle if you wish to do so, unless you go way beyond the limit. a well setup fleet and a person behind the screen that knows what they are doing, and they are dead. but you are still bound to take some loses. this way, you might lose a few fighter wings and maybe take damage to some ships.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 07:47:51 AM »

If you count mods in your low-losses thing, then I've done it fairly easily with only losing a small frigate's worth

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 07:49:05 AM »

If you count mods in your low-losses thing, then I've done it fairly easily with only losing a small frigate's worth
DSMK2 can own any fleet. Scourge Heart was a fun, but short lived firework session for instance
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 07:51:45 AM »

I was talking about a Conquest with Trebuchets installed on it. Get a good amount of fighters and a carrier out of the way, and you have a good line of sight to every point of the field

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 10:11:25 AM »

I think the SDF has gotten significantly harder because of the burn drive! Seeing multiple Onslaught burning down on you is a unique sensation...

I was talking about a Conquest with Trebuchets installed on it. Get a good amount of fighters and a carrier out of the way, and you have a good line of sight to every point of the field

Well... mods are great fun but not exactly balanced :P.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 10:59:58 AM »

Depends on the mod, I try to make my stuff balanced with vanilla, which is what I was using in my previous post :P

Griffinhart

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 11:43:31 AM »

Uomoz's Corvus.

Auria: Hadron Accelerator in the Large Universal, Cain in the 360deg turret, Mass Drivers, Railguns, Double Flak Cannons, Light Dual Machine Guns, no missiles; Expanded Magazines and Integrated Targeting Unit

Titan: Cains in the larges, Double Flak Cannons in the mediums, Railguns in the smalls, no missiles; Expanded Magazines, Integrated Targeting Unit, whatever else you want (I like to buff the shield)

Draken wing x2
Stigma wing x2
Iguana wing x2

77 FP, so you've got another 23 to play with. Should probably field a couple of cruisers. (I'm rolling with a single Mercury [13 FP, puts my fleet at 90] for now, though I'm thinking of swapping for either a pair of Eventides [Piranhas in the Large Missile turns 'em into giant flying shotguns], or maybe something entirely different.)

Player should control the Auria. It's a bit more fragile than the Titan (at least, my Auria is more fragile than my Titan, because of all the shield hull mods I've stacked onto the latter); you can try manually controlling the Titan (triple-Caining is truly impressive), but I find that the AI is abysmal with the Hadron Accelerator in the Auria's Large Universal hardpoint, so you might want to replace that if you do swap control.

At the start of the flight, field the Auria and both Draken wings, plus an Iguana. If you can, float the Titan as well, or the rest of your fighters. Put a capture order on the closest three points immediately (you can risk for the fourth, but if you're trying a no-loss, it's better to just play things safe), reinforce with whatever else you feel like (I usually go Stigmas, then the Titan if it's not already fielded, and then my Mercury). This is key and crucial, since you'll be able to choke and control the influx of Hegemony forces if you hold the points. Hold the points. Afterwards, you may wish to order your Drakens to retreat if you're trying for a no-loss fight. Drakens are fast, but fragile. Still, as long as they don't try to take on an Onslaught, they should be okay.

Roll deep with your Auria, but use your guns' range to your advantage - your Cain should be on auto, and should be making easy meat of anything smaller than a cruiser (especially with fighter support). Point the front of your ship at anything you really want dead - Mass Drivers on auto should be lashing out plenty of punishment, and if it's really necessary, the Hadron Accelerator (under manual control) will make pretty much everything else suffer every 20-to-30 seconds.

Onslaughts like to get all up in your grill (especially since they've now got Burn Drives), so use your range to make them bleed for every meter. If you can, land Hadron strikes on shields - 9750 kinetic damage translates to 19500 damage on a shield strike, before accounting for shield efficiency - which Onslaughts don't have; they take 1 flux for every point of damage. Onslaughts only have 18k flux cap, so a single shield strike with a Hadron round will put them into overload, which gives you time to press the attack, or pull back and vent. Speaking of vent, watch your flux cap - the Auria's shield isn't anything to write home about, and a lot of your flux cap gets spent on your guns.

The Titan should be taking care of itself, no need to set a carrier rally point. Three Cains hurt (a tri-linked Cain barrage probably does more hurt, or at least more hurt per second, than the Hadron Accelerator; they certainly have more endurance, since a Cain fields something like 150 rounds, whereas the Hadron Accelerator only comes with 22, and that's after Expanded Magazines has been applied), the DFCs ([strike]Delicious Flat Chests[/strike] Double Flak Cannons) can take on any missile barrage the Hegemony can lob, and the Railguns in concert wipe out fighters and frigates like they're not even a thing.

Whatever else you're fielding should be chasing down and mopping up, or providing fire support; generally, staying out of your Auria's Hadron Accelerator's line of fire.

-- Griffinhart
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 11:48:12 AM by Griffinhart »

"Rrha ki ra tek wim tes yor
en weel waath dius manaf, Yat!
"

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 12:43:45 PM »

1. farm stuff for hours after you have gather a reasonably powerful fleet and sell everything you capture in the Hegemony station.
2. Buy every single ship you can have captured, you don't need to fit them, the accident meter will go ballistic but that doesn't matter.
3. make sure you have around 400-500+ fleet points.
4. Instantly engage the H.D.F in an auto battle.
5. They will try to escape simply because your fleet is so ridiculously huge, use attack strategy.
Enjoy! =D

Well, my current fleet can take on everything with minimal hull damage (no crew losses = minimal to me), so it's more generally viable than.... that. =p

2 Hyperions, 2 Medusa, 1 Paragon, 1 Odyssey, 1 Wolf. I usually deploy the Wolf when I'm fighting mostly small ships, but rarely against anything dangerous. It has a travel speed of 110 with or without the Wolf, so that bit is irrelevant. I pilot one of the Medusas.

Strategy against the Hegemony Defense Fleet:
Start of battle, deploy the Hyperions and the Paragon (the Paragon needs time to get to where the fighting will actually occur). Hyperions capture all the points. As soon as I can, I deploy my Medusa, then the Odyssey, in that order. I may or may not deploy the other Medusa, depends on whether they've deployed their Onslaughts yet (if they're on the field, it may not be safe for the other Medusa).

Next, fly around with the Medusa taking out anything that isn't a cruiser or bigger, but go mostly for destroyers. Be sure to help out your Hyperions when it looks like they might get overwhelmed. If one takes more than 250 or so Hull damage, it's probably safest to have that one retreat, but keeping them on the field means that any fighters, frigates, and destroyers are almost guaranteed to die.

As soon as an Onslaught is on the field and you think a Hyperion might be in danger of going near it, have it go on Recon duty somewhere safe- the Hyperion is useful for taking back any control points that might get captured while the capital ships are duking it out. You may just want to tell the other Medusa to retreat if there's still a Hyperion on the field. As the Medusa, you'll be taking out anything smaller than a cruiser that's still on the field (perhaps with help of a Hyperion or the other Medusa). Next, help out the cap ships by shoving heavy blasters up the tailpipe of whatever needs it, and absorbing some fire with your shields. (Any guns an Onslaught is firing at you is more flux for your capital ships' guns to use)

For some reason, the Odyssey drops the shields repeatedly when it doesn't need to, so you'll need to occasionally help it out by flying between it and whatever's shooting if you want to take absolutely minimal damage.

You may want to save scum if the dice roll against you and you lose a Hyperion, though. Those things are rare.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 12:48:59 PM by naufrago »

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 12:48:10 PM »

Spoiler
[close]

Tactic for this one is pretty damned easy. Stick to the middle-bottom with the conquest, have a carrier on the closest capture-point and have fighters go on their own wherever to spot for the big guns on Mr. Conquest :P

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 04:30:02 PM »

Yeah... not sure if those guns count - they look like they are each larger than a Hyperion  ;D