Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Make planets easier to find  (Read 25460 times)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Re: Make planets easier to find
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2012, 01:57:30 AM »

Looking back at this, this just seems as an another idea that'd take up space, confuse new players, and take time away from the more important works the Dev team has to do. :/

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2012, 06:27:18 AM »

If it's not in one quadrant of the map, look at another, repeat until you find it. There really is no need to have a feature like this when Eyeball Mk. I is very much suited for the job. If you have so much trouble finding a planet in the map, that's hardly Alex's problem.
Lucky for us Alex doesn't have this attitude about things.

What's this you are having a problem with the game you already bought, well I already have your money so I can't see how this is my problem. *twirls mustache* MWHA-HA-HA-HA!

*read that in Dr. Doofenshmirtz's voice*
wtfbrain?

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2012, 06:27:45 AM »

Just my 2 cents here...

I can agree with the majority that this is a low priority feature. The current campaign is just one system. You'll wind up memorizing the general planet paths whether you want to or not. However, there are a couple of points I'd like to highlight (one of which I think the OP already tried to bring to attention):

• The full game will be more than one star system - I don't know the extent of the system counts for the campaign, but I'm pretty sure many users would like to have a quick way to review the layout of a new system that they just jumped into. This would include orbital distances of planets (and perhaps speed). Also, are we sure that ALL planets will oribit in a clockwise direction? I think there will be bound to be systems where some planets will orbit in the OPPOSITE direction of other planets
  • The player can plot a MUCH better course than the auto-pilot - The auto-pilot currently uses a simple "chase and move to current target location" routine, which is wasteful if you're trying to find the shortest route to a moving target (your path is a curve in most cases). The player can take into account the movement of objects and plot a straight line to where the target WILL be considering the flight time.

Space Rangers 2 has the same basic idea implemented. I don't see why it can't/shouldn't be implemented here. Yes, it's not a MAJOR feature to focus on right now, but it's still something worth considering. Time passage in SR2 is a factor in travel and gettiung things done, so you sometimes had to plot direct courses manually to cut down on in-game travel time. SR2 was turn-based though, so that was easier to min-max time vs distance.

If this gets implemented (either as a defulat feature or a toggle option), all it would need would be a dim, dashed line (maybe gray) to mark off the orbital paths. To make it more useful in the long run, perhaps adding a translucent gray silhouette of the planet indicating where it would be in like 10 days in-game time would be helpful (or something similar to predict future position after some X amount of time). It would let you guess where the planet will be to plot direct courses as well as tell you its orbital direction (clockwise vs counter-clockwise). If your running low on supplies or have a high accident risk, cutting down the amount by using a direct course is better than wasting time on a tail-chase course. That extra day or so of in-game time can mean the difference between getting restocked and repaired with a fully prepped fleet, or a damaged fleet with lost goods. (Heaven forbid you're half crippled trying to run away from a fleet JUST a bit faster than you. That extra time could mean life or game over at that point...)

I don't see why so many of you seem so eager to completely shoot down the idea without seemingly considering all the implications it brings to the game. I find the way this feature was implemented in SR2 VERY useful at times. (I would think real world stellar system maps would feature this type of data on them. I mean, even basic diagrams of our solar system tend to have the orbital paths outlined. Though granted, real-world orbit aren't perfectly circular and 2D.) I don't see what's wrong with having this feature on the system map at least. Having it on the travel map would be somewhat cluttered, though would make for quick referencing on the fly (pretty sure SR2 has that option as well.)

I think it's a viable idea; just not high on the "things to get done NOW" list is all.

3istee

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2012, 07:35:17 AM »

Yay, someone actually caught what I thought.
As you said I didn't saw this as an major feature that has to be implemented right now or so.
Well, actually Alex could just implement nothing but that's not the point.
Actually I always thought of it as an minor feature, I think he should implement it (of course, or I wouldn't have started
the thread), but it has time. I'm not angry or so when he doesn't implement it in the next version, altough I would
be a bit sad if he decides to never implement this. Anyways, it's his game, he can anything he wants with it.
I also agree with other suggestions made by StahnAileron like the dimmed gray line and that things.
BUT I also think it would be helpful to somehow mark who this planets belong to.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2012, 08:08:51 AM »

If it's not in one quadrant of the map, look at another, repeat until you find it. There really is no need to have a feature like this when Eyeball Mk. I is very much suited for the job. If you have so much trouble finding a planet in the map, that's hardly Alex's problem.
Lucky for us Alex doesn't have this attitude about things.

What's this you are having a problem with the game you already bought, well I already have your money so I can't see how this is my problem. *twirls mustache* MWHA-HA-HA-HA!

I think you missed my point with that one. My attitude about things is that too many games allow us to switch off our brains and let them stagnate, just for "player convenience" or whatever. A feature like this would just encourage such

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2012, 08:21:32 AM »

I think you missed my point with that one. My attitude about things is that too many games allow us to switch off our brains and let them stagnate, just for "player convenience" or whatever. A feature like this would just encourage such
That is a terrible way to look at things. Features like this actually help us think, its an aid that allows us to not have to think about this specific thing which means we can use that freed up brain power to think and concentrate on other more important things. That's how technologies expends our lives in reality as well.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2012, 08:25:08 AM »

That's in theory. In reality it does the opposite.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2012, 08:31:01 AM »

That's in theory. In reality it does the opposite.
Its not a theory, its demonstrable, its so obvious that you don't even recognize it.

Take the calculator, it allows a person to do calculus much faster and requires less brain power on the user's part allowing more time to spent on other things in life increasing both your freedom and knowledge.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2012, 08:33:22 AM »

Then you take the calculator again. Makes it so easy to not think that many people don't know how to do basic mathematics because the calculator did it for them

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2012, 09:00:16 AM »

Then you take the calculator again. Makes it so easy to not think that many people don't know how to do basic mathematics because the calculator did it for them
People who use a calculator are not dumber then people who don't use it. Both can do calculus. However, one group is faster in its use, takes less time to master it, and can handle larger numbers much easier.

3istee

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2012, 09:05:21 AM »

What the hell?
You know people use calculators often, because it IS sensefull to use one with large numbers.
I use one, too (we even have to at school), but I don't calculate basic things with it, at least not with small numbers.
It is much more preferable to divide large numbers with a calculator than writing down everything.
And I've never seen anyone who has forgotten the basics of math.
If we don't have to care about lower priority things we can concentrate on something more important.
It has always been like that, or else we wouldn't even be further than stone age.

Anyways please back to topic...

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2012, 09:32:31 AM »

People who use a calculator are not dumber then people who don't use it. Both can do calculus. However, one group is faster in its use, takes less time to master it, and can handle larger numbers much easier.

Again, you miss my point entirely, but I'm not going to say any more on this. Already argued enough about this

Alrenous

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2012, 10:25:24 AM »

Are you aware you can zoom out and look at the entire system at once?

LordLoss123

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2012, 12:06:37 PM »

That would server no purpose to me, personally, because you just got to know how far away from the sun they are, and it gives you an idea of the "Trail" in your head.
Dude, not everybody is like you... I agree with him :)

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2012, 04:47:20 AM »

Is this seriously such a big problem that you need to waste development time on this? This would probably postpone the next release by quite some time, just for this insignificant and probably useless feature.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4