Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Which sub/faction would you like to see be done first?

For the Hegemony (add more ships)
- 17 (19.8%)
Pirates
- 23 (26.7%)
Tri-Tachyon
- 39 (45.3%)
Neither :P
- 7 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24

Author Topic: MrDavidoff´s Ship Addon (ver. 0.32a released 20/02/13)  (Read 199589 times)

Kommodore Krieg

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: MrDavidoff´s dump (Ships, Missions - WIP)
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 08:49:56 PM »

Some of the best sprites I've seen in the modding section.  Nice job for making originals too.  I also like what Austupaio did there.  Looks like it fits right in with the game.

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 07:27:21 AM »

07/06/2012 -

Oki, so I said I would work on it during the weekend, but.. I didnt say which one  :P  .. and so im little late, still I think the wait, work is worth it. I took your advices into consideration. And I reworked the Hawk sprite. Made a lot of changes, mixed the weapon placement a bit, removed the large central slot, for "aesthetic" sake, redid the basic shape/design and more importantly - tried to implement the right shading. If you approve, Ill leave it for now and start making next ship of the line in this same fashion. Shouldnt be hard, since I got all the layers set up, so Ill make a "larger" and smaller class, want to make another fighter and then Ill release it in a mission. In that release I also plan to fix the Omegas hangars. (Ive already done it, tested it.. but im lazy to make a file for that now  :P )

Im open to suggestions on how to improve it further - most important aspect is to put Starfarers Eagle next to Hawk and think.. yep, those are similar (well, they will never, but.. you know fake it a bit  ::)  ). Then again, if you put the three next to each other (Eagle, 1st Hawk and 2nd Hawk.. I feel like Im slowly getting there). Im kinda noticing that things look differently, when its not displayed by PS (I see now, that it could use more darker touch ups at places.)

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 07:33:39 AM »

EDIT:
Perhaps replace those side mountings on the Venator with a pair of flight decks?

:o

You sir, just may have saved the Venator. I dont know, why I did not put hangars there in first place, probably because I wanned to copy the Conquest side launchers me thinks. Anyways.. Im planning to get back to Venator eventually (must rework the sprite to match "current" standards).

I'd love to see a triangle ship to match the Omega. A ballistic dreadnaught to match the energy dreadnaught.

Well, your talking to a person, who already made a big ship, likes triangle shape ships... and is stil saving the name executor  :P So.. it might ring a bell, the thought came on my mind  ;D buut.. its a long way. What I wanned to mention I did not think I would make the ships pure Balistic :x. Idea behind that - If hegemony decided to improve, they would be using energy weapons, which are advanced (rank up?).. Or there could be two Hulls - one for energy, second type for ballistic (which is kinda cheeze, but.. )

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 07:36:11 AM »

The Executioner Bears a striking resemblance to the Nebula Class Star Destroyer
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081004171829/starwars/images/3/3a/Nebula-class.jpg

Pure coincidence, for real :D But i do look at pictures from Old republic - - Galactic era for inspiration.

Shoat

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 07:25:34 PM »

I'd love to see a triangle ship to match the Omega. A ballistic dreadnaught to match the energy dreadnaught.

Well, your talking to a person, who already made a big ship, likes triangle shape ships... and is stil saving the name executor  :P So.. it might ring a bell, the thought came on my mind  ;D buut.. its a long way. What I wanned to mention I did not think I would make the ships pure Balistic :x. Idea behind that - If hegemony decided to improve, they would be using energy weapons, which are advanced (rank up?).. Or there could be two Hulls - one for energy, second type for ballistic (which is kinda cheeze, but.. )

Well, there is no ballistic equivalent to the omega anywhere...
There's maybe the relic faithopter, but it has only one large forward gun and the rest is mostly small mounts (and it's not nearly as powerful as a super-capital).

So IF, just in theory, you made another super-capital like the omega out of the eagle-hawk line of ships, it would be best if it at least had half of it's mounts be ballistic and the rest maybe be a mix of energy, universal and a few missile mounts (just like the eagle has a mix of ballistic, energy and a few missile mounts).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 05:08:08 AM by Shoat »

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 07:41:39 PM »

So IF, just in theory, you made another super-capital like the omega out of the eagle-hawk line of ships, it would be best if it at least had half of it's mounts be ballistic and the rest maybe be a mix of energy, universal and a few missile mounts (just like the eagle has a mix of ballistic, energy and a few missile mounts).

Interesting. That's actually a solid description of a mid-line ship, as opposed to a purely low-tech ballistic one. Frankly, I'd like to see both types of command ships come into the game to join the high-tech energy-armed Omega.
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 11:30:20 PM »

So perhaps then, a dreadnaught that would like something like the Onslaught's big brother, a dreadnaught that looks like the Hawk or Venator on steroids, and then the Omega dreadnaught? Lots of ballistic mounts and missile mounts in the low-tech super-Onslaught, and ballistics mixed in with universals in the super-Hawk/Venator. It'd give the midline dreadnaught that flexibility of being midline, able to get some energy weapons into the mix, or go all ballistics, or mix missiles in there, too.

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 03:59:12 AM »

Well, to lay down cards on the table.

1. I would welcome some thoughts on the current Hawk look (Seals would do  :P ).. I like to bounce of ideas - and imo it works out well that way, the first sprite is allways the hardest..
2. On my to-do list. -
    a) finish Hawk
    b) make Venator usable (has large slots, decks-which Hawk doesnt-would be good duo to balance out stuff)
    c) possibly make Hawks bigger brother - with 2 large slots (wont be really much bigger, but it will have additional punch)
    d) make two smaller lines ( dedicated missile ship and a slightly better "eagle"-just for variety)
    c) Im soo ahead of you - I have a ships, which is a Onslaught, but in eagle fashion - which I ment to do as pure balistic, it would make sense because Hegemony would have lots of experience
        with these weapons and would have spares to use...
    e) try to improve the frigates
    d) finish the cruiser size carrier ive been working on.. and a cargo/supplie ship (thats for campaign only)

I already have outlines, designs done for those ships - just sorting out the shading/effects/details, which is where I ask the community for help  :) But all these ships are either tad longer or much smaller than Hawk, even the Hawked/Onslaught - which I already have a name for btw - Overlord  :P .

Thing with command ships - in retrospect I see what I did wrong with the Omega sprite and sadly I also wasnt as thoughtful when I made that ship. So the layers there are mixed up all wrong. To rework it, would be a pain in the a**. And second thought - Alex doesnt really approve such large ships.. and until recently i didnt realize one thing -there are so many weapons on these super-capitals, that it fills the UI weapon interface wayyy too up. I didnt see this, cause I use a 1900x1200 monitor, but for ppl with smaller screens - it has to suck. I dont like the shileds on that ship aswell..

But those issues can be avoided in different ways, if I get to make a new C.S. ill consider that into the design/balance. For Omega.. I dont see me having so much free time to play with the sprite, but I will change some of the stuff I mentioned in the next update.

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 01:30:57 PM »

I play on a laptop, 1300~ by 760~. So yeah, bottom left half of the Omega is untouchable, nor are the guns at the rear, all hidden under the UI, or out of sight entirely. And even though people have said that's possible to zoom, I think it's only possible with a mouse wheel, which I don't have on a laptop. A reworked Omega, big enough to be super-capital, but not so big that it goes off screen might be nice, but at the moment, I'm more curious to see the Onslaught and Hawk's bigger brothers.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2012, 01:40:17 PM »

I play on a laptop, 1300~ by 760~. So yeah, bottom left half of the Omega is untouchable, nor are the guns at the rear, all hidden under the UI, or out of sight entirely. And even though people have said that's possible to zoom, I think it's only possible with a mouse wheel, which I don't have on a laptop. A reworked Omega, big enough to be super-capital, but not so big that it goes off screen might be nice, but at the moment, I'm more curious to see the Onslaught and Hawk's bigger brothers.
Finger gesturing? Touch zones?

Honestly, just go get a Sharkoon Fireglider... great gaming mouse and only about £16. Laser etc.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2012, 01:49:03 PM »

Hmm.. no touch-pad ? My friend told me he can use Alt and "+" or Alt and "-" to zoom in/out.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2012, 01:56:50 PM »

Hmm.. no touch-pad ? My friend told me he can use Alt and "+" or Alt and "-" to zoom in/out.
Yes, this too. Ctrl though I think. Check your controls.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2012, 02:01:50 PM »

Could also be PageUp and/or PageDn  ;D

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2012, 08:49:46 AM »

Oki, so ive made a new version of the Venator. Basically redid the whole thing and I added the hangars to the middle part of the ship. Sadly, my mouse died.. so I had to do the touch-ups with my backup mouse.. which just aint the same. I updated the Hawk on the main page with latest version.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2012, 08:57:14 AM »

Day-um yo, that ship's pretty frikkin' ill. Nice work.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24