Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Fighters OP?  (Read 10152 times)

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Fighters OP?
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2012, 05:33:43 PM »

warthogs aren't for assaulting frigates though, they are for helping the rest of the fighter swarm take down bigger targets with their LAGs, which they do wonderfully.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 05:41:25 PM by Catra »

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2012, 09:27:51 AM »

Oh, for stripping away armour? I see what you mean.
I wish they'd get there before my stupid fighter swarm gets itself torn apart by a cruiser though.

wormspeaker

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2012, 09:32:39 AM »

It takes TONS of supplies to be able to effectively use a fighter fleet though. Compared to ships, fighters are much less powerful in a non-group situation, meaning unless you have a map with several comm relays, you will be at a significant disadvantage.

Once you are fighting fleets of a certain size you always have at least 4 capture points on the map. I can reliably get 3 with little trouble.

But that's not really what I'm getting at. The fleet point advantage can be really good, and I stack in 3 interceptor squads for the purpose of capturing three points right off the bat, but while it costs a lot of fleet points to maintain repair on my squads, once a fighter squad is damaged it comes back for a very quick regeneration to 100% and off it goes again.

It means that I can trade supplies for fleet points. If I carry enough supplies and keep my carriers away from the front lines, I can essentially replenish my fleet nearly infinitely. As others have stated, it's because the AI isn't effective at countering them, but the flight deck fix from last patch has made it much more effective at repairing in battle, and I am now noticing that all fighters are being repaired to 100% after the battle automatically, which was not happening before. So I have a fleet at 100% right away instead of having to wait for fighters to be repaired like other ships.

Cerevox

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2012, 12:39:16 PM »

Yes, if you have a flight deck all fighters are repaired right after battle for however many supplies it takes. If you have the supplies to burn then fighters and carriers are near unkillable.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2012, 01:10:19 PM »

teehee, got that right, the reverse is true also:

i wasn't paying attention to my supply count and got into a relatively large fight, a quarter of the way through i get a " out of supplies " message, then my entire fighter squadron promptly got curb-stomped.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2012, 01:23:08 PM »

Hmmm... maybe a solution to fighter respawn pownage would be to drastically increase (2x? 5x?) the supply cost for making new fighters (as opposed to just repairing and rearming) and have a "rebuild fighters" global toggle (like support weapon firing). This would increase the usefulness of cargo in general (having freighters increases the effectiveness of fighters). If this were the case I'd want a 'Warning: supplies at 10 days' message or something similar.
Pages: 1 2 [3]