Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Communications Gameplay Element - Speak Softly and Carry a Big Stick  (Read 2541 times)

DSMK2

• Commander
    • View Profile

Hm. At some point, I found it a little flat when I constantly hear from pirates:

"Greetings, honorable commander! We are a humble League merchant trading fleet headed for resupply. We would be honored to assist you in any way."

Especially after I've annihilated 80% of their fleet, and this is my second time fighting the same "fleet" again. This might come up as sadistic, but I expect the pirate that's currently in command to be a quivering mess that either just wants to get away from me:

"N-n... No! STAY AWAY FROM US! PLEASE!" + various other tidbits commonly associated with pleading to not die.

Surrender their ships in exchange for their lives, or an offer to join my fleet.
"Alright, you win, take our ships, let us live." or on the extreme case, a suicide of the commanding officer of that pirate fleet which causes the fleet to become yours.

Mount desperate last stand (or a "they're obviously taunting us, let's attack this time and get them off our backs"):

"Screw you! We'll fight to the last crewman! You'll never have us!" + various threats.

When I visualize it, it's the constant "visiting" of my fleet onto a ruined pirate fleet without going into combat, that slowly puts psychological stress on the surviving crew; the constant, possible threat of death looming behind that grows stronger with each "visit". For other factions, the breaking down of an officer's professional aura into an individual that just wants to live to see another day. This is the sort of immersion that can make a fleet + portrait feel a bit more "alive" through text.

Which leads to another idea that I've been holding, various levels of "hate" with factions that coincide with how many fleets you've annihilated completely:

Neutral - Hate - Enemy - Nemesis - Feared

• Neutral - Base state, nothing much
  • Hate - Possible chance of getting attacked
  • Enemy - Attack on sight
  • Nemesis - Actively hunting for your fleet
  • Feared - Actively avoiding your fleet

It takes a lot of enemy fleet destruction for you to reach the "feared" stage. As an added bonus, once you've hit nemesis, you're awarded a randomly generated nickname they call you i.e. Red Baron, Vald the Impaler, and various other real world historical nicknames. Once you hit the "feared" stage", you become something of a living legend among members of that faction. This should probably happen the other way around as well. What do you guys think?

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile

I like it, this is great!

Zani

• Ensign
    • View Profile

When I was reading the begging things, I thought of Link CDI :D
Please, your unipitance (idc how you spell it), have mercy!

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Yeah the current ones are pretty repetitive :P

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile

I think somebody already picked up something in game files that indicated some sort of charisma influenced dialogues, so it's probably already under construction guys ;)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile

I like this a lot!  I'd love to have a fleet personally follow me around...a virtual punching bag, no need to move! ;D
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile

Fascinating suggestion, DSMK2! ;D This offers substantial new possibilities for faction relations and I would like to see this become a reality.
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile

Love the ideas. Would add both more flavor and make it feel more alive.
+1 ;)