Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Blueprint Packages - Contents and Review  (Read 5713 times)

Twilight Sentinel

• Captain
    • View Profile
Blueprint Packages - Contents and Review
« on: February 09, 2021, 12:34:23 PM »

I put together a spreadsheet that lists all the contents currently in the ship blueprint packages.  I didn't see anything when google searching for this or checking the wiki, so I did it myself.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HITMG6I7HSsAba1lKmEAzoIvYRIIgFiLZ7E58MKGE2I/edit#gid=0

Now to review each of these packages, starting with the main three.

Midline
Starting with the midline package because it's easily the best one you can find.  It gives the most ships and the most weapons, including a good spread of different options.  Including four support warships, two general frontliners, and two carriers.  It also includes a cruiser sized transport ship, but this ship is generally not important.  Weapon wise it gives a nice set of options in both ballistics and energy weapons, lacking only a large energy weapon option for the sunder.  The only weakness is on fighters, as it gives two fighters (light and heavy) without a bomber option.  Notably this includes the Drover, by many accounts the best carrier in the game and one that's otherwise quite hard to find in markets.

Low tech
The next best package is the low tech one.  It gives three good frontline warships, a decent carrier, and a freighter that's almost a direct improvement over the buffalo.  It also gives a good set of ballistic weapons accross all weapon sizes and a great fighter and bomber pair.

High tech
High tech is easily the weakest of the main three blueprint packages.  Not only does it offer the smallest number of ships, these ships have the least variety as they're all light warships.  The wolf is easily the best ship in the package, an otherwise very common ship in markets around the sector.  It does offer the best energy weapon options, including large energy weapons that the other two packages lack.  On the upside it includes two very good fighters, unfortunately it does not include any carriers to use those fighters.

Luddic Church
It always feels bad when you get this package.  It only includes three ships, two of which are recolours of default ships.  The only potential upside is that it can be an alternative way to unlock the lasher, if you haven't already found the low tech package.  No weapons or fighters are in this package.

Luddic Path
A large set of alternative versions of mostly common ships that have ill-advised modifications built in.  The one unique ship is the Colossus Mk2, a warship that most probably wouldn't want to use.  The alternative gremlin does also have safety overrides built in, for what it's worth.  No weapons or fighters are in this package.

Pirates
A grab bag of different ships, including several recolours of common ships.  Two of those recolours, the mule and buffalo, are direct upgrades over the default ones with shielded cargo holds built in.  It does notably include an alternative way to get the enforcer and the shriek.  For the desperate, it also includes inferior versions of two frigate phase ships and the wolf.  Lastly it includes the Mudskipper Mk2, largely a joke ship, and the colossus Mk3 which is a jack of all trades, inferior at all trades.  No weapons or fighters are in this package.

Hegemony Auxiliary
The last blueprint package.  It includes a number of militarized versions of common civilian ships and a recoloured wolf.  Most likely the wolf is the main ship one will use from this package if they get it, and have not already gotten the high tech package.  No weapons or fighters are in this package.

Closing notes
There's one other major package that was not included here, which is the missile package.  Unlike the other ones, this one only includes weapons.  It is an extremely important package to find, as none of the other packages include any missiles and the only ones that the player has at the start of the game are low quality small missiles.  The player can find what they need for their personal fleet from loot and NPC markets, but their faction fleets will have terrible missile weapons.

If I were to make small suggestions for changes:
-A large energy weapon added to the midline package so the sunder can be properly armed, or the removal of the sunder from that package.
-More ships added to the high tech package to round it out as a full kit.  Preferably a phase ship (the shade?) and a carrier (new ship?).
-A few missile options added to each of the main three packages, to fill out medium and large weapon mounds and reduce the dependence on finding the missile package.  Say the reaper or hammer or annihilator variants for low tech, harpoons or salamanders for midline, and atropos or sabots for high tech.

EDIT: Caught modded Hegemony ships, thanks.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 02:08:58 PM by Twilight Sentinel »

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Blueprint Packages - Contents and Review
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 12:48:59 PM »

Oh yeah the high tech blueprint package is absolutely sad, and in the next patch Fury will replace Apogee in it, so we'll have 3!! light warships. Pretty much all three have similar roles, zero support ships, zero carriers (shame because high tech fighters and bombers are cool). Something really needs to be done but I disagree with adding phase ships, they're kinda unique and should be left in single blueprints.

I honestly don't see a problem with the Sunder not getting a large weapon from the midline package. You can always downsize the mount or grab something from the black market. Getting a decent assault weapon from it would make the midline package a bit too good imo.

Don't know how to feel about missiles, they're almost never the main source of damage for the majority of your ships. And splitting rewards between three tech packages while leaving something in there that's not already a single blueprint would make the package have like 2 missiles. Probably best not to fiddle with that one.

But all of this won't make a huge difference in the next version when contacts will be a thing and we will be able to order ships even without blueprints (but costing more).
Please don't take me too seriously.

Twilight Sentinel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 12:59:37 PM »

I disagree with adding phase ships, they're kinda unique and should be left in single blueprints.
Given that you can get the pirate shade from its package and the player has access to the gremlin by default, I don't think having the shade in the high tech package would be a major issue.

Don't know how to feel about missiles, they're almost never the main source of damage for the majority of your ships. And splitting rewards between three tech packages while leaving something in there that's not already a single blueprint would make the package have like 2 missiles. Probably best not to fiddle with that one.
To clarify, I'm not suggesting removing anything from the existing missile blueprint package.  I'm suggesting that in addition to being able to get missiles from that package, we can also get a limited line from each of the main packages.  There would still be several that are exclusive to the missile package.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 01:11:00 PM »

I like to see a carrier for the high-tech package.  Could be a reskinned blue Heron for all I care.  (Basic Heron is practically a high-tech ship with midline coloring.)  The pack is a real letdown.  Too many high-tech ships are elite singletons.  As for phase ships, I suppose being singletons is okay if only because nearly every faction has all of them, even the Indies (which makes them easy to steal).  If they became less common, then some phase ships would be nice.  The Gremlin in the basic starter set is really awful.

I wish the missile pack had the medium Sabot pod.  It is critical for some high-tech ship's loadouts, especially normal Shrike.

Pirate Shrike is different from default, with hybrid mount and less OP.  The hybrid mount is huge, especially if Sabot pod is unavailable.  Colossus 3 is one of only two ships with Ground Support Package (other being Valkyrie), and easier to acquire.  I use Colossus 3 primarily for raiding (thanks GSP).

Mach56

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 01:12:03 PM »

There isn't a mudskipper (A) in vanilla, you might want to double-check the Hegemony BP package.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 01:31:33 PM »

In vanilla, only ships in Hegemony Auxiliary blueprint package are Wolf (H), Kite (A), Hound (A) and Buffalo (A). Everything else is from mods.
I think it's weird you call Luddic Church, Luddic Path, Pirate or Hegemony Auxiliary packs "main" blueprint packages. That would make all obtainable blueprint packages in the game "main packages". From my experience, what loot I got from exploration, I'd say that Alex never expects the player to have less choice than an equivalent of 2 main blueprint packs (and possibly assorted separate blueprints) before the choice is important. Even with introduction of contracts that can manufacture ships using your own blueprints, I expect this way of acquiring ships to be of more interest for rare ships you can't find otherwise, not be the main way of expanding your fleet.

High-tech package in particular shows that Alex doesn't really expect any tech level to stand on its own, though it can also be because high-tech having ships that aren't the top shelf of ship design is a rather recent development. Before Shrike, there was just the Medusa. Before Fury comes, it's either Apogee, Aurora or Doom. I wouldn't mind seeing Shade thrown in the high-tech pack, though. It should fit in pretty nicely.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 01:34:27 PM »

To clarify, I'm not suggesting removing anything from the existing missile blueprint package.  I'm suggesting that in addition to being able to get missiles from that package, we can also get a limited line from each of the main packages.  There would still be several that are exclusive to the missile package.
Alright that's fair then. And as Megas reminded me now just put the medium Sabots in the high tech package, it's so annoying trying to find even one. It's rarer than some large weapons yet some ships can't even do much without it (unless you like SO fleets).
Please don't take me too seriously.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 01:47:55 PM »

I think the apogee is the best ship in the high tech package, but to each their own. Apogee is the only one I can remember making from it (maybe the medusa? I think that's in there and also a better ship than the wolf IMO). The apogee does require the plasma cannon to be good though, so the blueprint package still falls short. IIRC, it's missing both the plasma cannon and tach lance, as well as the heavy blaster, so the weapon selection is pretty meh. I could be wrong about what's in it though, I'm surprised I can't find the blueprint packages on the wiki.

To be honest, I don't think the starting blueprint package matters at all. It takes a while before you can get a heavy industry online, and there's plenty of time to find blueprints before you have any chance of using them. I usually wait to start a colony until I have at least one capital blueprint, so it matters even less to me. I think the whole 'starting with a faction' idea is a Nexerelin thing anyway (could be wrong)? Regardless, I choose starting factions based on what ships I can buy from them, not what blueprint package I start with.

Twilight Sentinel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2021, 02:01:20 PM »

There isn't a mudskipper (A) in vanilla, you might want to double-check the Hegemony BP package.
In vanilla, only ships in Hegemony Auxiliary blueprint package are Wolf (H), Kite (A), Hound (A) and Buffalo (A). Everything else is from mods.
Thank you, I've updated the post and spreadsheet.  It was the only package I hadn't found outside of a modded game and couldn't quickly get my hands on it.  The odd way things were classified should have tipped me off though.
I think it's weird you call Luddic Church, Luddic Path, Pirate or Hegemony Auxiliary packs "main" blueprint packages. That would make all obtainable blueprint packages in the game "main packages". From my experience, what loot I got from exploration, I'd say that Alex never expects the player to have less choice than an equivalent of 2 main blueprint packs (and possibly assorted separate blueprints) before the choice is important. Even with introduction of contracts that can manufacture ships using your own blueprints, I expect this way of acquiring ships to be of more interest for rare ships you can't find otherwise, not be the main way of expanding your fleet.
That was a holdover from an earlier draft.  I decided to include all of the packages.  Clarified the OP that the first three are 'main' packages.  Though I'm not sure if the game makes a distinction, or has them all in the same loot category.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 02:04:48 PM by Twilight Sentinel »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2021, 02:15:05 PM »

That was a holdover from an earlier draft.  I decided to include all of the packages.  Clarified the OP that the first three are 'main' packages.  Though I'm not sure if the game makes a distinction, or has them all in the same loot category.
It does not. What makes a blueprint "main" or not is up to us.

The apogee does require the plasma cannon to be good though, so the blueprint package still falls short. IIRC, it's missing both the plasma cannon and tach lance, as well as the heavy blaster, so the weapon selection is pretty meh.
That would make high-tech package give you all the large energy weapons (besides Paladin PD, the least important one).
(maybe the medusa? I think that's in there and also a better ship than the wolf IMO)
Not Medusa, Shrike.
I think the whole 'starting with a faction' idea is a Nexerelin thing anyway (could be wrong)?
It is.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2021, 02:34:15 PM »

As someone who uses missiles heavily, not being able to find the missile pack is annoying in a way that the other blueprints aren't: if I'm lacking the midline package (for example), I still have access to good warships and weapons from the others. If I'm lacking the missile pack, I need to shop around markets and scrounge for an entire weapon group even if I'm mass printing battleships because there's no alternatives. I'd support having the missiles spread among the different pack, whether duplicated with the regular missile pack or having the missile pack split and removed entirely.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2021, 02:41:44 PM »

Losing Apogee in the high-tech pack will hurt.  It is overpowered for its cost, and useful throughout the entire game.

Pirate, Ludd, and Heg packs are annoyingly common; they are the corrupted nanoforge of blueprints.  Sometimes, I do not find some of the low/mid/high/missile packs until near the end of the game, and they seem rarer.

It takes a while before you can get a heavy industry online, and there's plenty of time to find blueprints before you have any chance of using them.
Finding them early does mean player can raid industry worlds and steal good singleton blueprints instead of junk ones like Hammerhead blueprint or Harpoon rack blueprint.

TheWetFish

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2021, 09:36:16 PM »

I put together a spreadsheet that lists all the contents currently in the ship blueprint packages.  I didn't see anything when google searching for this or checking the wiki, so I did it myself.
Would you be willing to edit this into the wiki?
90% of the work is already done, it just needs the extra 10% to get it in the wiki.

You could try and do it yourself, or hop on over to the unofficial discord and we could help you with it.

Twilight Sentinel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 09:26:40 AM »

Would you be willing to edit this into the wiki?
90% of the work is already done, it just needs the extra 10% to get it in the wiki.

You could try and do it yourself, or hop on over to the unofficial discord and we could help you with it.
Probably not in the near future.  I haven't done wiki work before and intend to spend my time on other things.