Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why are all Pirates a single faction?  (Read 2586 times)

Squigzilla

• Commander
  • SQUIG Industries
    • View Profile
Re: Why are all Pirates a single faction?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2021, 05:26:52 AM »

They are listed on the Factions page, but I don't think pirates are supposed to be a faction. Every pirate fleet or base (with defending fleets) you see is supposed to be a distinct group operation only with regard for their own profit, and the only thing that bind them is a disregard for law and order. They are included on the Factions only page because they have to be somewhere and there is nowhere else to put them.

That said, it would be cool to see a larger criminal faction in the game. Perhaps an organized crime family of sorts who is a lot more organized and large- scale than your average gang of scallywags. They would naturally be a good source of criminal contracts and illegal missions.
High Admiral Davian MacNaile of the SQUIG Industries Human Resources Motivational Flotilla

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2021, 06:59:03 AM »

While the fluff says Indies and Pirates are not (supposed to be) monolithic, they act as a monolith, and that is all that matters.  Very annoying with Indies once sat bombs are thrown around to punish major factions for their war crimes.  Indies need to back off and not stick their noses into fights they have no business getting involved in.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2021, 06:55:05 PM »

Somebody bombing planets is their problem, faction or not. It doesn't matter if you're "independent", you live in the place this weird newcomer is burning to the ground. Of course you'd try to stop him, even if only for self-preservation. Indies getting mad at genocide is perfectly legitimate.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2021, 04:56:04 AM »

Indies getting mad at genocide is perfectly legitimate.
Sure, although if they are willing to attack my faction on sight, then they have sided with my mortal enemy (who were attacking my faction more furiously than their mortal enemies with their expedition spam) and become targets to eliminate.  They get in the way, they get squashed like the bugs they are.  If they are willing to join the fight, they better be willing to have their worlds burn if they lose.  (Hint: they are too weak to oppose my faction if they were too weak to fight the majors.)

My problem is ALL of the Indies do this, from the non-aligned polities to the lone wolves or smugglers.  It would be better if some Indies here and there opposed bombings enough to join forces with the major faction, not all of them.  Makes the space rogues that are not pirates look like political activists.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 05:00:22 AM by Megas »

Great Leader

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2021, 01:58:39 PM »

I personally would like to see PIRACY, not Pirate faction. Unless there's like a Pirate's very own labor union, a consolidated reputation and all that should be thrown out the window. As far as I'm concerned, they are disorganized and independently run. Same goes for independent faction.

The game is already capable of generating random names and flags. I think it would be better if there were 3 categories:
1. Major powers - Lawful
2. Minor powers - Lawfully chaotic
3. Rogue powers - Chaotic

Major powers should be the established factions in the core. Minor powers should be those that are currently considered independent now, but they should be randomly generated factions considered as minor powers. The game is already capable of randomly generating names and using available flags, so I don't see how this would be difficult to pull off. Rogue powers shouldn't be represented at all as factions, but as a sort of meter of strength - and these would mainly be the pirates and the pathers.

Player's faction should start out as a minor power, but with expansion and growth of size, should be recognized as a major power down the line. And in all honesty, that should be the moment when the major powers frequent expeditions and such. As a trade off for the late expedition attempts, they should be more powerful in scale than how it is now.
Pages: 1 [2]