Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How do you move up in Starfarer?  (Read 14424 times)

Zilerrezko

• Commander
    • View Profile
How do you move up in Starfarer?
« on: March 28, 2012, 08:47:26 PM »

Hello!

i'll start off saying that I personally always start up in starfarer, and always go for a condor and some fighters, and just start adding more fighters and condors, as I find it very difficult any other way. But I'm curious to know how other people get from their first frigate, to their first battleship or even their first fleet of at least 3 battleships. What are your strategies?

lordgiza

• Commander
  • Best Badass in a long time
    • View Profile
Re: How do you move up in Starfarer?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 08:59:44 PM »

Usually get a condor and as many Broadswords and Thunders as possible all with Veteran pilots. Keep doing this until you get something with a large energy mount and put on a Tachyon Lance. Usually I sell all my non-carrier smaller ships at this time except for the fighters and get as many Tachyon Lances as possible. Putting larger ships as solely fire support and the only thing that gets into combat as fighters means I suffer no losses and very short repair times.
A general is just as good or just as bad as the troops under his command make him.
-Douglas MacArthur

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 09:02:24 PM »

Save up all the money you can to buy yourself a medusa

You can also by hounds and wolfs along the way. Those work pretty well. Get a large fleet of frigates before you start to hunt bigger fleets (still not the biggest), save up money, buy the biggest ship you can and fit it to the teeth with weapons, then start hunting those nice looking tri-fleets and supplement your fleet with their ships you board.

That's how I did it, but I'm sure there are many other options.

Kaitol

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 10:10:44 PM »

I just shoot stuff until I can get a tempest or medusa or something, then wait for an opportunity to snake some damaged or uncrewed ships. It really just snowballs from there.

leonvision

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 10:27:12 PM »

i would say get a medusa if it's your first time playing, since it's very easy to pilot, it has the mobility and a sufficient amount of turrets for PDs and 2 large energy turrets for the firepower, i generally have either pulse laser or heavy blaster in those slots. alternatively you can replace the 5 small turrets for tactical lasers(or PD burst laser), and that should take care of most fighters, that's if you're fine with dodging missiles and not destroying them.
twitter: lagdotexe - mainly about gaming

D0vahkiin

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 10:32:52 PM »

Medusa is pretty easy to pilot, yeah. Just outfit it with lots of vents, 2 pulse lasers and you're good to go.

Personally, I just go for a cheap destroyer straight away, without getting another frigate. I usually get either a Medusa or an Enforcer. After that, I get another one of the same model, and then get a cheap cruiser. A Goose MKII or Dragoon are great choices, and after that I just mass them. Though it depends if I'm going low tech or high tech, sometimes I only get Tri ships, sometimes only Hegemony and Pirate ships.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 10:35:28 PM by D0vahkiin »

Sundancer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 10:36:20 PM »

Medusa is pretty easy to pilot, yeah. Just outfit it with lots of vents, 2 pulse lasers and you're good to go.

Personally, I just go for a cheap destroyer straight away, without getting another frigate. I usually get either a Medusa or an Enforcer. After that, I get another one of the same model, and then get a cheap cruiser. A Goose MKII or Dragoon are great choices, and after that I just mass them.

I pretty much agree with this, but I think you should get another frigate before getting a destroyer.

MidnightSun

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 10:37:37 PM »

What I usually do after capturing a second frigate is go with a Condor and a nice complement of fighters, while personally keeping command of my starting frigate. That small fleet usually nets me enough money to buy a nicer ship (this time around I bought and outfitted an Apogee), and then it snowballs from there if you don't take any heavy losses.

lordgiza

• Commander
  • Best Badass in a long time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 10:49:55 PM »

What I usually do after capturing a second frigate is go with a Condor and a nice complement of fighters, while personally keeping command of my starting frigate. That small fleet usually nets me enough money to buy a nicer ship (this time around I bought and outfitted an Apogee), and then it snowballs from there if you don't take any heavy losses.
Not that easy if your up against the full might of the Empire i must say. But because I had an Imperial-II class I was always able to survive even when my fleet got constantly wiped out forcing me to start over again.
A general is just as good or just as bad as the troops under his command make him.
-Douglas MacArthur

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 10:51:14 PM »

Then there is always the save/reload style of play if you lose to much.  ::)

Cryten

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 10:55:31 PM »

Persnoally on my standard run through I start by selling my starter ship and getting a wolf with tac lasers and a pulse laser, it can solo up to 2 frigates or 2 fighters wings and a single frigate if you keep yourself fromg etting surrounded.

From there I buy myself a squad of thunders. this is the hardest bit as without a carrier they repair slow but they kill everything you will face. Then a condor -> Wasps -> anouther thunder wing -> Medusa is surpreme against anything non cruiser -> Upgrade my carrier.

From there everything is how you want to play.

Zilerrezko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 11:04:27 PM »

Then there is always the save/reload style of play if you lose to much. 

This is what happens when I try really anything else.  :D

But it sounds like Medusa is what people really go for, very interesting! I personally have never gotten a medusa, except for the fact that two Gladous wings are super effective against them >.>

D0vahkiin

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 11:10:41 PM »

But it sounds like Medusa is what people really go for, very interesting! I personally have never gotten a medusa, except for the fact that two Gladous wings are super effective against them >.>

That's what Enforcers are for! 2 flak cannons pretty much tear any fighter wing apart. Medusa can be the harasses vessel that keeps other destroyers occupied, while the Enforcer takes care of the fighters. Then it can swoop in to help the Medusa, and unleash some harpoons/HE rockets from the frontal mounts.

Sundancer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 11:13:05 PM »

That's what Enforcers are for! 2 flak cannons pretty much tear any fighter wing apart. Medusa can be the harasses vessel that keeps other destroyers occupied, while the Enforcer takes care of the fighters. Then it can swoop in to help the Medusa, and unleash some harpoons/HE rockets from the frontal mounts.

...Harpoons, aren't the ships protected against some ol' timey harpoons.

Zilerrezko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 11:13:19 PM »

I love flak cannons  ;D, soon I will create a whole fleet of special made ships with dual flak cannons.
Pages: [1] 2 3