Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Individually Modified Weapons  (Read 3497 times)

intothewildblueyonder

• Captain
    • View Profile
Individually Modified Weapons
« on: March 21, 2012, 11:07:28 AM »

Just some thoughts on what might help gameplay
 ability to modify one weapon with a hull mod rather than all of the weapons (i.e. use advanced optics only on your HIL and not on you PDL)
 Be able to change damage type, if not in combat at least outside of it, would make sense mainly for ballistic weapons (change ammo) and missiles (change warhead). This can be balanced by refit time or having to split ammo choices
The ability to change a weapon to suite your needs would help with sorting (instead of having 10 similar weapons you have 2 with 5 types, so you would pick the general weapon and tailor it to your needs).

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
Re: Individually Modified Weapons
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 11:11:24 AM »

I'd like seeing this as part of ship customization.

As in it costs you a small amount of OP to boost this weapon, but if you remove it it's just the normal weapon. So it'd be like a hardpoint mod instead of a hullmod.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 11:17:33 AM »

On the one hand, I'd find this awesome fun.  On the other hand, I know there are people out there who'd look at it and go "ugh, too much micromanagement."  Plus it'd make it harder to balance - it'd become all too easy to end up with a situation where weapon X with weapon mod Y and hull mod Z manages to do something totally unintendedly broken.

So, somewhat torn here, really.  I like detailed ship design stuff; it's really fun for me to mess around with various builds and see what I can make - and for that, the more fiddly little options I can tinker with, the better.  But I also know it's not always the right thing for the overall game.  >.<
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 11:57:42 AM »

I see where you are going with this, but it would only eliminate the need for some weapons... Think about it, the harpoon and sabot are completely different missiles. Changing the warhead on them would unbalance the way they work too much IMHO.

Maybe what we should see is instead have weapons that are repeated in each mount class, just be one weapon that scales depending on what mount it is in.

For instance, we have a small and medium mount for harpoon. They are identical except that the medium size shoots two missiles and has nine more rounds. I imagine if we get a large harpoon mount it'll shoot three and have maybe thirty rounds. Otherwise they are the same weapon...

So it would work like this: I buy a harpoon launcher, I then put it in the slot I want, it changes it's picture and stats to reflex that. The stats could be either hard coded, or just have a base one that increases depending on the mount type. Also, there would be a flag that says what mounts it can fit it.

This could cut weapons down by at least 30%, while still having them.

Cryten

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 03:49:40 PM »

Could you imagine if you could fit your long range support ships with a high explosive or kinetic tachyon lance? lol
or make swarmer missiles deal kientic damage.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 12:36:13 AM »

highexplosive deathrays btw!

intothewildblueyonder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 11:39:59 AM »

After reading the new blog post about accidents,  I think the idea of having some flexibility with each weapon becomes more relevant as cargo space becomes more important