Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Conquest builds  (Read 11766 times)

KCR

• Lieutenant
  • If it's not fun, why bother?
    • View Profile
Conquest builds
« on: January 28, 2020, 12:32:01 AM »

Find out that Conquest is actually not so bad. Have played around some time with this ship and discovered, that it's actually very versatile and can be build almost to anything. So, basically, if you are using conquest, what builds do you use on it? And maybe you know some interesting builds for this ship? I remember some time ago i've seen a post, where some guy was describing that he made missile conquest and that it was actually really good. Also, is it worth to put guns only on one side, leaving other empty for some reason? Thanks in advance!

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Conquest builds
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 12:51:36 AM »

Conquest is primarily a Gauss Cannon sniper.
2 Gauss Cannons, 2 Heavy maulers on 1 side, cheaper weapons on other side. IPDAI IR pulse in all energy slots (multi-role PD, anti-fighter, close combat insurance) - IR pulse is flux heavy so is only good player piloted builds.

It can use missiles to great effect in short engagements, but why ruin perfectly fine platform for protracted combat with limited ammo.

Also one-trick pony duelist build with 2x Gauss and 2x Squalls (in different weapon groups!) to out-duel a sim Paragon (or any other direct combat capital) in AI vs AI.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 01:23:12 PM »

I've used Conquest as a main AI controlled ship as it's the only AI controlled capital ship that can stand a good chance of retreating when in trouble without having to pay constant attention. Though the argument could be used that other capital ships would not get in the same trouble that the Conquest may find itself in. Symmetrical layout is nice since the AI will happily spin around and use the least damaged side. Here is a post where I show the Conquest: https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=17439.0

What is a missile conquest? That doesn't mean anything to me. Conquests don't have synergy or composite or universal mounts so it's not like you can prioritise missiles except with expanded missile rack. Leaving one side of a Conquest empty is a waste. Stick Mark IX Autocannon in the large slots at the very least. For a long time, this forum was enamoured of main guns on one side and PD guns on the other side but I never saw the point of that. If player controlled, Gauss Cannon Conquest can be useful and even then you wouldn't want one side empty as nothing guarantees that an roaming frigate or fighters will not attack you from that side.

lethargie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 01:47:49 PM »

I usually lurk rather than post, but this is quite funny. We seem to have a conquest build thread every once in a while. Perhaps we should just pin one? I mean, there isn't that much to be said about it.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 02:25:36 PM »

Let's start with the facts:
- Conquest has excellent flux stats. 20k caps and 1200 vents for 40 points is top tier for a capital ship. It can handle big guns.
- Conquest has an extra bonus to large guns, making them even cheaper.
- Conquest has poor defenses. The 1.4 shield ratio is absolutely awful, and 1200 armor is good but not great. Omni shield is sweet but its total coverage is very low. It's not very good up close.
- Conquest has excellent agility. Maneuvering jets let it turn quickly and evade just about any other capital ship.

So. High speed, low defense, big hungry guns. It sounds like a ship that is great for barraging from long range. Most of the large guns are 900 range except for gauss (1200), and there is a choice of 1000 range kinetic or HE guns. Range bonuses are a must for keeping out of trouble, and smaller weapons can be tweaked to suit your fancy. Be careful of equipping short range weapons, because the AI will take that as a hint to fly in closer and the Conquest doesn't like that.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 02:39:20 PM by bobucles »

Kanil

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 04:56:03 PM »

Leaving one side of a Conquest empty is a waste. Stick Mark IX Autocannon in the large slots at the very least.

There are some of us who would consider 16 OP worth of weapons that only see minimal use to be a waste.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 06:03:36 PM »

I favor symmetric builds because I like firing both broadsides at once to bully and mow down wimps.  It is also nice for dueling big ships because if one side gets knocked out, it can spin and bring the other undamaged side around quickly to fire at the target.

The only time I use asymmetric builds is if I want Gauss Cannons on one side to duel lance Paragon or something similar.  Since such targets are rare, I prefer something with more efficiency or more firepower, which means 800 or 900 range weapons.  Rarely, I may play with Storm Needler, but 700 range is a pain, especially for AI that is not Aggressive.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 05:46:39 AM »

Leaving one side of a Conquest empty is a waste. Stick Mark IX Autocannon in the large slots at the very least.

There are some of us who would consider 16 OP worth of weapons that only see minimal use to be a waste.

Where does 16 OP come from? What is the worth of 16 OP when you have 346 OP? What's your build? You got one side empty, so post your build. Outside of 1v1 Sim, you can't guarantee you will be able to avoid fighters and other faster ships, unless you outdeploy the opponent, in which case nothing matters much. Whatever your build, it's well worth not having to waste time moving around to avoid or shoot at other ships, because that would be time you are not using to shoot at your prefered target.

wei270

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 01:29:10 PM »

if you just want a gauss sniper wouldn't the pirate capital be the better sniper with is ability of faster reloader?

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 01:32:45 PM »

A sniper needs to get out of trouble if a strong enemy comes, the pirate Atlas is way too slow for that and will get killed easily. That said it's still an ok artillery boat, shame it has horrible logistic stats.
Please don't take me too seriously.

wei270

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 02:28:10 PM »

yeah that got me thinking if the mkII Altas has slightly better logistic stats it would actually be a competitive capital

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 02:34:38 PM »

Why does it need to be competitive?
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2020, 09:34:33 PM »

And why does it need better logistic stats? Its a pirate ship. As a pirate you spend most of the time in the Core.

wei270

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2020, 11:54:23 PM »

well right now you get access to conquest and mk.2 altas at about the same time, however i don't thank anyone would chose the altas over the conquest despite it being half the prices, and that is mostly cause the mk2 altas has relative poor logistic stats that given time will incur more cost compare to the conquest.

and amount other reason. so if want altas to truely be the cheaper substitute capital i think we need to look at its logistics

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2020, 11:59:02 PM »

if you just want a gauss sniper wouldn't the pirate capital be the better sniper with is ability of faster reloader?

Yes but.

1) flux matters. The  atlas 2 cant fire 2 gauss.
2) fitting matters. The atlas 2 cant fit 2 gauss and 2 mirv
3) Fuel matters. If you use two atlas 2 in order to make up for the above short comings then youre using a LOT of fuel.
4) fleet slots matter. A conquest can gauss snipe AND be a competitive capital on the same fit for normal engagements.

I dont think mobility matters all that much for a gauss sniper. Youre going to have companion ships and these should stave off the majority of things that are fast enough that you cant gauss
Pages: [1] 2