Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Crash on Continue/Save Game  (Read 890 times)

Delashmit

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Crash on Continue/Save Game
« on: October 15, 2019, 04:26:37 PM »

At times the game would crash upon saving or clicking the continue button in the main menu. I'm operating on a fairly low-end computer, but I have no issues with actually playing the game. The second I quicksave it seems that there is a hidden coinflip occurring on whether the game will crash or not  ;D

I've attempted to:
  • Run as Administrator (Nope)
  • Run on Compatibility Mode (Nope)
  • Edit vmparams to allow more/less RAM (Nope & Nope)
  • Setting processMessagesWhileSavingOrLoading to False (Nope)

Please help  :'( I'm a nub and I don't know what else to do ;-;

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Crash on Continue/Save Game
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 04:39:58 PM »

Hi - do you have any mods running? Also, is there an error stack trace in the starsector.log file?

Depending on the type of crash, there may also be an hs_err_pid<number>.log file Starsector/ or Starsector/starsector-core folder; the contents of that could point to the issue.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 05:25:52 PM »

Thank you for posting the file!

It looks like a crash in the graphics driver - could you make sure those are up-to-date? If so, it's also possible that reverting to an earlier version of the drivers would resolve the problem.

A couple of other (unrelated to each other) things worth trying:
Set "legacyLauncher" to true in data/config/settings.json
Run with fullscreen turned off at your native resolution (it'll run in borderless windowed mode then, which could change how the graphics driver handles it)

Delashmit

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 05:41:36 PM »

Drivers are up-to-date, so in a minute I'll attempt to revert them to an earlier version.
I've attempted to disable fullscreen, but that had little-to-no effect. I'm currently trying to see if the legacy launcher setting will work.
I'll keep you updated!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 05:42:51 PM »

Please do, *fingers crossed*!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 06:54:47 PM »

Thank you for the update! Hmm. The sort-of-good news is that I believe this should be fixed in the next release, but that's obviously no good right now.

Could you try turning off your anti-virus (if any) and as much other software that might be running as possible? In particular anything to do with video capture could interfere.

Also, maybe worth a try: running in windowed mode? At least it could be an interesting data point.

Also: does having sound on/off make any difference?

Messing with 3D settings in the Nvidia control panel is also worth a shot, though I'm not actually sure which settings might factor in here. If it was an intel card, I'd suggest adjusting the "hardware acceleration level" slider (the one that goes from, roughly, "safest" to "highest performance" or something similar), but I don't think that Nvidia has an equivalent one, though there are a lot of other settings.

Delashmit

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 07:07:14 PM »

You know, I honestly just had the random thought of switching to my integrated hd graphics aaaaaaand I have yet to encounter a problem. For now I believe this is a temporary fix for me, but I'll inform you if I encounter anything else.

It's amazing news that the next update will patch whatever issue I have~ I don't really know if it's a common issue or if I'm the only one experiencing this, but thank you nonetheless!

EDIT: I do have less fps than prior to the switch, but that is to-be-expected and I am completely fine with that. It's my problem that I'm running on low-end :P
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 07:12:07 PM by Delashmit »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 07:14:18 PM »

Glad you've got a workaround for now!

I'm not 100% sure it'll be fixed, not being able to confirm, but let's say 90% :) The issue crops up now and again, so it's not super unusual, but what *is* unusual is for the fixes you've tried not to help.

EDIT: I do have less fps than prior to the switch, but that is to-be-expected and I am completely fine with that. It's my problem that I'm running on low-end :P

Ha, thank you for being so understanding :)