Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Crash - this one will be hard to fix :(  (Read 1077 times)

vorpal+5

• Captain
    • View Profile
Crash - this one will be hard to fix :(
« on: May 28, 2019, 08:19:04 PM »

Hi,

I have the habit, now that I'm with Windows 10 since some months, to use the virtual desktop functionality, a lot! My mail box is usually on desktop #1, the game I launch on #2 and documents related to the game (like the game forum or a notepad of sort) on desktop #3.

I had 3 crashes in Starsector about that. It triggers when I switch from a desktop to another, while in game. It happened precisely when I was editing the name of a ship the last time I remember doing that.

My computer is not by far too solicited in memory, I have 32 gigs. Not sure you can do anything about that, but you had to know.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Crash - this one will be hard to fix :(
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 08:43:02 PM »

Hmm - what kind of crash is it? Does the game pop up an error message? Is there something in starsector.log?

Is there an hserr_XXXX.pid file somewhere in the game's folder? (Where XXXX would be a number, possibly with a few more digits.)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 11:12:34 PM »

-Are you using the windows multi desktop feature or some other program? (IE the one that is linked to WinKey Tab)
--If you're using the built in windows one, how do you go about starting and playing SS on it? Do you move the window over or start it directly in the other desktop?
--How do you switch desktops? Shortcut keys? WinKey Tab and clicking on it?
--Video Card? Are you making sure you are using a real card instead of an integrated card (if possible of course)

I've tried this on my end and can't cause a crash so more info could help out
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

vorpal+5

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 01:44:15 AM »

Hello

Apology for the delay in answering.

Oddly, the bug is gone. It happened while I was in full screen and I played another day in such manner, and no crash.
Now, I have found that Windowed is best for me, as I can keep an excel sheet at the ready (ps: how about adding a notepad to each stellar object, so we can take notes on planets, suns, etc.?)

When the crash happens, it is an instant exit without any message or anything appearing. SS is just ... gone in an instant
I was using the Windows multi desktop feature
I can do both, I can start on desktop 1 and move it to 2, or I can start on 2.
I switch desktop with ctrl-window arrow shortcut
my video card is a rather powerful one (8 gig Nivdia) and my computer almost new with 32 gigs

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 09:36:18 AM »

Alright! Thank you for letting me know, let's just treat it as a weird one-off unless it comes up again :)