Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: More useful Salvage Rigs  (Read 2662 times)

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
More useful Salvage Rigs
« on: August 29, 2018, 02:19:32 PM »

Quick one: Salvage rigs in the fleet should increase the number of recoverable non-broken ships after the battle.

Something like "Give 50% chance to salvage one extra ships after a battle."
And additional rigs would provide additional recovery attempts. This effect would also be completely independent from the skills.

So having 4 rigs could yield up to 4 extra possible ship recovery.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
Re: More useful Salvage Rigs
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 02:35:06 PM »

+1
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 06:01:20 PM »

This would only be useful as an early-game feature.

As long as number of recovered ships is capped by whatever we can squeeze within the fleet cap, this, along with that one perk that increases chance of ship recovery, will be useless.  We need to be able to see what we can recover regardless whether or not we can take them.  In other words, if we have 29 ships, just show all the ships that can be recovered and red-out the excess, not just pick one random and not show the rest.

As for the title, I like to see rigs improve loot, and not bound by skills.  Unskilled characters have no use for rigs at the moment.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 08:04:21 PM »

(Yeah, I definitely wouldn't mind improving Salvage Rigs in some way. Hmm. Let me think about it a bit more.)

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 08:45:36 PM »

Salvage rigs could:

1) reduce refitting in space CR penalty
2) negate restrictions from mothballing ships
3) increase loot from battle*
4) increase speed of fleet repairs
5) reduce Supply cost of repairs in space.

*usng a salvage rig to increase loudly after a battle could produce a strategic speed penalty. “Stick around and salvage the entire field” while also preventing a salvage field from being produced

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 08:56:22 AM »

My issue with all these ideas is that they'd be useful in all kinds of situations unrelated to salvaging. The salvage rig is  a special tool you whip out when you go on a deep space adventure, looking for abandoned stations and such, not something you always want in your fleet. Of course that could be changed, but that would take fleet positions away from ships that are fun to actively use.

Some SR buffs that would help with exploration:

- SRs reduce the supply cost of being over cargo/fuel capacity. Presumably, they are very useful when attaching extra storage containers to ship hulls.
- SRs have the ability to generate supplies or heavy machinery from salvaged plunder (like metals, household wares, food). The conversion rate is pretty bad though, so it's only a good option if you are stuck far away from any harbor. Or if you just need those 5 extra machines to perform that salvage operation...
- Maybe SRs have the ability to construct simple weapons (light mg, light mortar, mining laser) to equip salvaged ships in the absence of any serious weaponry
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 09:19:13 AM »

I do not want rigs so important like tankers that they are mandatory in a fleet.  However, rigs are pigs, and bringing them should be worthwhile, and they only are if the player has max Salvaging and will raid research stations for double or so loot.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 09:50:34 AM »

How about when we salvage ships the rig allows us to take off one d mod depending on size and chance.

Or another idea is a salvage rig allows us to instead of getting more salvage in general we can toggle it to focus on different things. Like more fuel, more supplies, crew. With commodities and metals greatly increased if chosen. Or have rareities like technology or ai cores.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 06:58:22 PM »

I thought there was a talk regarding skill tree that SR should basically be a substitute of current salvage skill?
Salvage skill is currently a must pick if you ever want something GOOD from high grade objectives such as a research station due to salvaging difficulty.
Bringing an SR only increase the amount of final salvage, it cannot make you salvage a station with no skill, which is awkward.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.