Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A question about the (hopefully far-off) future of Starfarer  (Read 3105 times)

powerbonger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
A question about the (hopefully far-off) future of Starfarer
« on: March 01, 2012, 11:40:53 PM »

(( Please note that I know very little about modding the game - or modding in general - so if I'm getting worried over nothing, please kindly show me the way to the airlock, and I'll suck some vacuum for a few seconds as an apology. :D ))

Getting straight to the point: is there going to be an official modding API released for Starfarer?

Why am I asking this? See, I was just over at the Terraria forums, and got word that development over there has stopped (I know, I'm kinda late with the news, and I have no intention of wanting to start a discussion about this over here). It just got me thinking that, maybe months or years from now, when the development team will feel like its time to move on from Starfarer...will you guys be leaving a way for the community to create mods through an official API?

Its sad to see such good games fizzle out because its largely closed off from their respective communities - because they're either forbidden to make mods or are very difficult to make mods for. I believe that a structured and/or an accessible way to mod the game will assure that it will live on far longer than most.

So...can I assume that since people are already modding the game this early in development (which is a very good sign!), I have nothing to worry about? :)

tl;dr - I'm scared, hold me (and no, there is no buyer's remorse here)  ;D

SeaBee

• Commander
  • The stars are ... alive and breathing
    • View Profile
Re: A question about the (hopefully far-off) future of Starfarer
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 02:17:49 AM »

Have a look at the (small but growing) Mod Resources! Alex has built the game from the beginning with a potent API to allow substantial changes to the game.

The modding forums show off some really great examples of this. Everything from new ships and weapons to new missions ... even complete overhauls to the sandbox/campaign mode. Mods in this game are definitely fully supported, and one of my favorite features for the very reasons you've described: even when the game is "done," we can continue expanding it and making it fresh again.

I think Starfarer's future is very bright indeed. Any game that respects and embraces mods the way this one does has, to be a bit cliche here, unlimited potential!

Glad you're enjoying the game! No need to visit the airlock  :D

powerbonger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: A question about the (hopefully far-off) future of Starfarer
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 06:01:35 AM »

Awesome, that kind of assurance is just what I needed! :D Thanks much, Seabee. I was pretty down getting the news that development on Terraria is stopping, with little in the way of mod support - really glad that Starfarer has that covered. I can rest easy now. :)