Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Forlorn Hope and Predator and Prey  (Read 2845 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Forlorn Hope and Predator and Prey
« on: December 01, 2015, 02:03:03 PM »

Has anyone beaten any of those two missions with standard loadout?

I can beat them with custom loadout, but I was very much unsuccessful with what is given for the mission. I thought all mission should be winnable with the issued loadout...

Maybe it is intentional for Forlorn Hope since the mission description implies that the TTS Invincible was in fact lost, but then I don't understand why the mission is not tagged "impossible". "Preador or Prey?" is also just tagged "hard". On the other hand, all the "impossible" mission were relatively easy to win with standard load out.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Forlorn Hope and Predator and Prey
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 02:27:48 PM »

He, never mind about Forlorn Hope, just managed to beat it. That was a fight!

Spoiler
[close]

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 12:43:25 PM »

Predator or prey is totally luck based at the moment with default loadout. Your support ships and fighters wiped out too fast and enemy carrier keeps distance - you basically alone with cruiser trying to chase it down before enemy bombers destroy you. Main problem is - 2 different torpedo wing strikes plus 2 astral MIRVs totally wreck dominator apart as it is getting closer to carrier. If enemy force is distracted by your other ships sometimes you have time to torpedo away astral but only if all stars align. Forlorn Hope is all about space to retreat and not to provoke onslaught to burn drive into you. If you getting cornered by battleship you will die fast otherwise just wait until all rocket pods are empty and finish him off - thats it.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 03:47:25 AM »

And, did you actually have the luck to beat the Predator or Prey mission (with issued loadout)? I tried several times and never really felt like I had a chance, even with a bit of extra luck. As you say, the triple punch of the two bomber wings and the MIRVs is overwhelming.

The Onslaught burndriving towards we was actually was sealed its fate. When its shields are down and you have low flux and charged Tachyon lances and Autopulses it is impaling itself with its charge.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 12:20:29 PM »

The best i did was mutual destruction of my cruiser and enemy carrier using point blank reapers. I cant approach carrier sometimes completely if enemy controls both nav points.